Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real estate market collapse, no documentation loans, stated income loans, real estate market prices bottoming out over next 3-7 years, housing price adjustments

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

Chuck,

Thanks for sticking your neck out. I will look at your prediction. Others have predictions locally and nationally?

At the beginning of this year I thought we would see bottom end of 2008 or early 2009. Now, I think mid to late 2010. There is nothing wrong with being wrong. I certainly have been.

Based upon what happens in the next 12 months, this bottom prediction could get pushed back even further, maybe into 2011 or 2012. Then, I might be approaching being in agreement with Humanoid. There are worse things in life than admitting that you are wrong and that others may have been right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 03:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Humboldt1 wrote:
There are worse things in life than admitting that you are wrong and that others may have been right.
To keep peace with my wife I have to do that at least once a day!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
If the predicters were right most of the time we would be seeing them on TV and they would be on the forbes list.As it is most are like people who go to las vegas ;none ever seem to lose when you talk to them but somehow vegas seems to be making a mint.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,156,146 times
Quote:
I think prices (median) would bottom around early/mid next year (2009) based on the premise I outlined in a thread in the R.E. forum:
Hopefully you are still around so others can point out how wrong your guess was. I wouldn't even call it a prediction because the analysis is bad on so many levels.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Hopefully you are still around so others can point out how wrong your guess was. I wouldn't even call it a prediction because the analysis is bad on so many levels.
Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong ... but at least from now til mid 2009... nobody's right or wrong

Old 08-14-2008, 03:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Bideshi wrote:
Forgive me for jumping in out of nowhere, but it isn't necessary to actually print the money anymore. They can just add digital integers electronicaly to a balance sheet and voila! More "money".
I wish they would break into my account and add a few digital zeros to my balances. EG: $50.00 with 2 digital zeros would become $5000.00! I recently read a newspaper article where this has actually happened. Sure beats investing in real estate or the stock market, or working for a living.
That would be illegal and someone would go to prison. When they do it to their balance sheets it's called "stimulating the economy"..

Old 08-16-2008, 06:37 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,555,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I guess your right - I should have just RENTED - in a crime ridden, crappy schools, drug infested neighborhood. My kids don't deserve a home. I'm so reckless in my lack of research of the RE bubble that I have failed my family financially. I should have listened to the Gods of Wisdom. How stupid and financially reckless of me.

Offended? Heck yeah!
It is in part this attitude of looking at renters like some low-class scum, and families that rent as failing their children that has lead up to this bubble. Granted it is not all of it. But clearly many people here and elsewhere just refuse to recognize renting as a valid choice given any circumstances.

This idea of looking down on renters is just foolish, you don't know the reason they decided to rent a house. I know some people that rent because it is the only way they can afford to send their kids to the school they want to send them to, while still saving up for their own retirement, and their own child's college education.

You can continue to look down on such people as low-class scum, and insulting them on the internet, and feel superior to them if that makes you feel good, but it doesn't make their choices any less valid.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
It is in part this attitude of looking at renters like some low-class scum, and families that rent as failing their children that has lead up to this bubble. Granted it is not all of it. But clearly many people here and elsewhere just refuse to recognize renting as a valid choice given any circumstances.

This idea of looking down on renters is just foolish, you don't know the reason they decided to rent a house. I know some people that rent because it is the only way they can afford to send their kids to the school they want to send them to, while still saving up for their own retirement, and their own child's college education.

You can continue to look down on such people as low-class scum, and insulting them on the internet, and feel superior to them if that makes you feel good, but it doesn't make their choices any less valid.
How right you are! We have noticed that, too...renters are just the "tenants", people who can be thrown out on a whim, and who always leave the premises a mess. They are regarded as little better than "transients", just living out of suitcases.

I always like to turn the tables on so-called "homeowners" - who really owns your home? You - or the bank? How big a step up in life is it to be thrown out by foreclosure, rather than thrown out by the landlord?

It seems to me that until we are in our final resting place, anywhere we rest our heads is just a "stop along the way". Just one more way some people exhibit snobbery, I guess!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Anyone who looks down on a renter, and considers them as scum is forgetting that right now, the renters might be the financial geniuses ( some by default and others by choice )! That can be a hard pill to swallow.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
One of my degrees is in International Economics. I don't look at data and use my imagination and fairy dust to come to economic conclusions and neither do the people I named. As I said, from 2003 till now they have been DEAD ON every step of the way. There are TONS of people, not just the ones I named who have been spot on. Once you understand economics, its very clear and plain to see. As I said, i feel bad for no one. The info was out there.
You know, I DON'T have a degree in economics, and I knew what was going to happen - I bought a house for $127,000 in 2001, and sold it UNDER-MARKET in 2004 for $197,000 - a quick look around at housing prices and mortgage rates told me exactly what was going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics