Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do this make the crisis more serious?
Yes 22 66.67%
No 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetway777 View Post
What the Heck is going on ???

This story is posted on Drudgereport
China banks told to halt lending to US Banks !

Is this wrong !!!

Is this whole world going crazy???

Pssst...look two entries up.....from yours.....or read the first entry and click the link...

Then again, China said milk was safe, too.

I will say no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:12 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
this is not on CNNs main page. Are you sure its true?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
this is not on CNNs main page. Are you sure its true?
I think my sarcasm meter is off.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM

209 posts, read 585,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Um...on that very same initially linked page....it says it's not true.

The China Banking Regulatory Commission (CBRC) on Thursday denied a newspaper report that it had told Chinese banks to stop lending to U.S. banks in the interbank market. A spokesman for the regulator strongly codemned the article in Thursday’s South China Morning Post, calling it irresponsible. “The CBRC has never, through any channel, issued a statement or told domestic commercial banks not to lend to or borrow from U.S. financial institutions,” the spokesman said in a statement on the agency’s website.
These were both from Reuters first off. The retraction came about 2 1/2 hours after the initial release. Lets look at this objectively. The source had to come from somewhere and being that the state controls the bank regulators and the newspaper I would be surprised that there is no truth to this. Also I would think the person who put this out would only do it at actually risk it his/her life with the track record we have seen on certain issues in China. My thought is someone was in some internal meeting and this is being discussed and someone let the cat out of the bag.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM

209 posts, read 585,043 times
So it was true but "unofficial". Still has about the same effect. UPDATE 1-China banks cut back lending to foreign banks | Markets | Markets News | Reuters

Old 09-25-2008, 01:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankREO View Post
So it was true but "unofficial". Still has about the same effect. UPDATE 1-China banks cut back lending to foreign banks | Markets | Markets News | Reuters
THIS my friends is what we call "sudden stop" or at least we are on the road to "sudden stop" *hope I am wrong*. that is the concept for today, do your home work kids. This is getting ugly.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,083,749 times
I don't understand--was this a leak, a rumor that may be true, or a complete fabrication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
THIS my friends is what we call "sudden stop" or at least we are on the road to "sudden stop" *hope I am wrong*. that is the concept for today, do your home work kids. This is getting ugly.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM

487 posts, read 1,364,360 times
or another possibility is this rumor is what it is and that's all is needed, a hint to get us do something quick, i think they are the one would lose the most if the dollar bites the dust

Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Pssst...look two entries up.....from yours.....or read the first entry and click the link...

Then again, China said milk was safe, too.

I will say no more.
Yeah maybe China said "milk was safe" and

Bush said "Mission Accomplished" and a lot of fools still believe him!

Sorry just can't let the lies get by.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
why are people doubting the credibility of this? What do you expect when banks like WaMu..the biggest in the US, are on the brink of failure. Do you expect there to be confidence in US banks? Of course NOT!

Oh, btw, WaMu closed at $1.69 today! Shares are worse than junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics