Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times

Advertisements

Think about...for like a few seconds. If this is the American economy's saving grace, why did it need pork? Obviously, it did...because that is how it got passed, right? If you think about it...you start to wonder - if it absolutely had to pass...why didn't it pass the first time? It didn't make sense the first time, right? So how can it make any better sense the second time...

>>>OMG G'LORD MONEY MONEY MONEY<<<<

Yeah. What was it? 105 billion paid for by you and me for the next 5 years IN ADDITION to the 700 Billion that we were going to pay for to START with.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who feels like they were run over by a Mack truck?

Someone enlighten me on what would've happened if it hadn't passed.
Wait, even better question. Do you think that this bailout will make you richer or poorer by the time you retire...or will it have no financial impact on you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Think about...for like a few seconds. If this is the American economy's saving grace, why did it need pork? Obviously, it did...because that is how it got passed, right? If you think about it...you start to wonder - if it absolutely had to pass...why didn't it pass the first time? It didn't make sense the first time, right? So how can it make any better sense the second time...

>>>OMG G'LORD MONEY MONEY MONEY<<<<

Yeah. What was it? 105 billion paid for by you and me for the next 5 years IN ADDITION to the 700 Billion that we were going to pay for to START with.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who feels like they were run over by a Mack truck?

Someone enlighten me on what would've happened if it hadn't passed.
Wait, even better question. Do you think that this bailout will make you richer or poorer by the time you retire...or will it have no financial impact on you at all?

I agree...if the situation was so dire why did the house and senate need to haggle and fatten it up. I've seen things that some expect this to happen again in early 2009. Did bail of Fannie and Freddie have expected results?

I think this will take more cash off my retirement $$$ and current $$$ as well. Wait for some new tax to cover this bail. Makes me sick. The process of loading up on guns and growing my vegetables is soon to come.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:46 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
So much for McCain's claims about being a reformer....he voted for the pork barrel.

I'm voting for Ron Paul

Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 PM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
Didn't you know? It need the pork flavoring as a bribe for many of our congressmen/women. Unless something is going in their pork basket, some of them can't vote for anything. Can you say "corrupt"?

My congressman stayed firm and voted against the bill. My senators did not. My congressman is the only one who will get my vote.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:49 PM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
So much for McCain's claims about being a reformer....he voted for the pork barrel.

I'm voting for Ron Paul
Ron Paul's not running, but you can vote for who he endorsed (as I am) in Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. Tired of the same old garbage we get w/our 2-party crap system.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,887 times
From what I've heard the riders that were attached to the bill were intended to appease foreign investors in some fashion. I'll have to find the place where I read that.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
I'm not sure, but I think the bill would of passed without the extra stuff. Just by looking at the market's reaction (credit markets, stock markets, job market, etc.) after not passing the bill on Monday would of probably swayed people to vote for the bill.

The revision of the bill passed by a large margin 263-171.

Guess who controls the credit markets, investments, capital, etc.? And even if the banks manipulated the markets in the past week... it really shows how much power the investment community/foreigners have over the credit markets and our fate (businesses, jobs, State budgets, etc.).

If you haven't figured it out already... America is at the mercy of our creditors. In essence, there was no choice but to pass the bill. Just look in the mirror, don't blame your congressman/woman... we've put ourselves in this situation long time ago.

-chuck22b

Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Like most bills in thsi country some will only vote for something if they can get a bribe when spending money. The same reason many project are tacked on other bills.If you haven't noticed this then you need to check how Pork is always passed.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:02 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Ron Paul's not running, but you can vote for who he endorsed (as I am) in Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. Tired of the same old garbage we get w/our 2-party crap system.
That's who gets my vote.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Really..repealing the tax on wooden arrows made in Oregon is what swayed the bill !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics