Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,434 times

Advertisements

I'm Gen X. Not only did the Boomers take all the jobs and are taking all the social security - they are saddling us with their children who they raised to be their "friends" and were raised with an unprecedented, supreme sense of entitlement ("Blue ribbons for everyone just for participating!"). And if, as an Xer, I'm lucky enough to have a job, these are the brats I'm supposed to supervise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Okay. So how about we start with you boomers and take away your social security.
as a fiscal conservative, i am all for reducing social security entitlements and trying to get the country under control.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
Obama (born 1961) is the first Generation Jones president. Did everyone know that?
he is still a boomer, with a jones sub-category.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Obama (born 1961) is the first Generation Jones president. Did everyone know that?
I sure did! We are Generation O!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/fa...n+obama&st=nyt

Nov. 4, 2008, is a historic day because it marks the end of an economic era, a political era and a generational era all at once.

For the past 16 years, baby boomers, who were formed by the tumult of the 1960s, occupied the White House. By Tuesday night, if the polls are to be believed, a member of a new generation will become president-elect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/op...20obama&st=cse

Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,084,255 times
I don't really consider anyone born in the '60s a boomer. I think that was Obama's whole point when he said he was only 8 years old when William Ayers did his bombings. Obama is not of that generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
he is still a boomer, with a jones sub-category.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Boomers taught us how to be totally self-involved while giving the appearance of wanting to change the world.

Gen X taught us how to "slack" and sponge.

Which is worse?

I beg to differ on your views of Gen X. I worked right out of high schools and could see things changing in the 1980's. College was for the rich kids and those who did not fit were cased aside. I worked a lot of crummy jobs with no benefits, just for my low wage. It took about seven years until I was able to put myself thought college. My youth was a bitter sweet experience and now we are responsible for repairing the damage done by the boomers. Yeah being 20 and going no where sucks and there were a lot of us complaining. Did anyone bother to listen?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
The boomers do have something to worry about. The X and Y generation have a common beef in the United States. It’s called a suffering economy brought to use by the boomers. I do believe the day is coming which both generations are going to replace the boomers as the voting block in the United States. They don't know how much they have screwed and made us angry.

It isn't the boomers that are now asking the governamnt to give me free this and free that. Nor are they they ones saying ;I can't earn enough give me some of the others guys money . The present generation is the most subsidized generation ever in the prime of their working life and they want more.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM

1,458 posts, read 3,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It isn't the boomers that are now asking the governamnt to give me free this and free that. Nor are they they ones saying ;I can't earn enough give me some of the others guys money . The present generation is the most subsidized generation ever in the prime of their working life and they want more.
There's a whole gamut of reasons why the current workforce earns less than the previous ones. Accounting for Real incomes, the middle class has essentially seen incomes stagnant in the last 35 years. How are we subsidized? We're currently working and funding social security, medicare, etc. for who?

Furthermore, our potential for advancement has been essentially capped. Because the boomers didn't save enough, as a group they have decided to continue to work and keep their lavish, spendy lifestyles. Move on already!... as a group you've already had your 20/30+ years of employment and being the leaders of capitalism... it's about time Gen X takes on these roles so that future generations can take ours.

There's a whole roadblock to advancement and higher incomes that the Boomers seem so entitled to. Look at all the corporate heads and you can see how the Boomers pretty much dominate the top tiers. Retire already... the generation before you seceded their seats to you it's about time you do the same in the sake of future generations there after.

Of course, as a group, the Boomers didn't save enough. And as they see our economy quivering and potentially collapsing over the weight of future social security, medicare, etc. obligations... they are essentially forced to continue working. Go figure, welcome into our shoes... no future security net, stagnant incomes, and living costs only moving upwards. At the very least, you guys have had 20-30+ years of relative economic stability and gainful employment to prepare for it... we've only been working for maybe at max 10-15+ years with spotty employment tenures at best?

-chuck22b

Last edited by chuck22b; 11-18-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22b View Post
There's a whole gamut of reasons why the current workforce earns less than the previous ones. Accounting for Real incomes, the middle class has essentially seen incomes stagnant in the last 35 years. How are we subsidized? We're currently working and funding social security, medicare, etc. for who?

Furthermore, our potential for advancement has been essentially capped. Because the boomers didn't save enough, as a group they have decided to continue to work and keep their lavish, spendy lifestyles. Move on already!... as a group you've already had your 20/30+ years of employment and being the leaders of capitalism... it's about time Gen X takes on these roles so that future generations can take ours.

There's a whole roadblock to advancement and higher incomes that the Boomers seem so entitled to. Look at all the corporate heads and you can see how the Boomers pretty much dominate the top tiers. Retire already... the generation before you seceded their seats to you it's about time you do the same in the sake of future generations there after.

Of course, as a group, the Boomers didn't save enough. And as they see our economy quivering and potentially collapsing over the weight of future social security, medicare, etc. obligations... they are essentially forced to continue working. Go figure, welcome into our shoes... no future security net, stagnant incomes, and living costs only moving upwards. At the very least, you guys have had 20-30+ years of relative economic stability and gainful employment to prepare for it... we've only been working for maybe at max 10-15+ years with spotty employment tenures at best?

-chuck22b
What he said^^^^. Boomer's extending their working stint past 25 years is fundamental to the income shortcomings of Gen X and Y. They are essentially the winner in the ponzi scheme, they get the full value of the first dollar while the subsequent generations lose out purchasing power on a year by year basis. This creates a wealth gap that when combined with the dissapearance of the pension fund and health care plan, forces the subsequent generations to work to an older age JUST to break par with the boomer, and in the abscence of that choice, will not be able to attain sufficient wealth to die with dignity. Boomers as a work force had sufficient voting leverage to arrest the rage for increasing productivity at all costs, but they balked on it and decided that consumerism was GOOD. Now we're screwed.

Nobody ever asked me (gen Y) if I wanted to work 60 hours a week in the land of "milk and honey" just to afford a rusty car, crappy eye gouging health insurance, a rented apartment, and a vacation a decade. Now we (late Xers and Yers) collectively tell the boomers they can shove their whored out business model and "hard work" mantra and they think we have a sense of entitlement. Retire already pops, you're holding up the line!! My dream is not to live "my dream" at 65 like you, my dream is to live my life more frugally but comfortably and stress-free from 20-55 and die with dignity. You can have SS, but don't be a selfish brat and ***** out the job before handing it to me.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,217 times
Quote:
Boomers taught us how to be totally self-involved while giving the appearance of wanting to change the world.

Gen X taught us how to "slack" and sponge.

Which is worse?

Being self involved is a lot better then slacking and sponging off of other people.. and then whining that they dont have anything..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics