Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
It is costly to set up a refinery. Just because you can melt something doesn't mean you can refine it. Go look up the difference between "melting" and "refining". What that line in the commercial means is that you aren't paying a middleman to send off your stuff to a refiner -- the company receiving the gold IS the refiner.

It's amazing how so many people never research anything before complaining about it.
Yeah the guy on yuotube doing it looks like he has a fortune tied up in his garage. Who's complaining about it? I could care less if people send thier gold to them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Yeah the guy on yuotube doing it looks like he has a fortune tied up in his garage. Who's complaining about it? I could care less if people send thier gold to them or not.
Yeah, and he can't put an official assay stamp on it either. Melting down gold and making ingots is easy. Extracting all the sh*t from old jewelry like the trace metals, the contaminants, the solder, et cetera isn't so simple.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I actually considered sending some old stuff I had to them but felt that putting a bunch of gold in an envelope and mailing it off seemed like a really bad idea.
Not only do you know nothing about the people you're sending it to but every postal worker handling it knows it has gold in it.
I found several places close by to get it appraised and sold it to the highest one. Their TV advertisements prompted a several local companies to advertise their services turning gold into cash.
This is similar to what I thought...you send your valuables in an eveloppe....

Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Everytime I see that ad, I am tempted to call the phone #, get my packet, and fill it with used rusty nails and mail it in.
That is awesome. I think my next great adventure has been established.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
That is awesome. I think my next great adventure has been established.
Reminds me of my brother who sends the credit card companies envelopes full of empty candy wrappers in response to their unsolicited offers -- at their postage expense!!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Reminds me of my brother who sends the credit card companies envelopes full of empty candy wrappers in response to their unsolicited offers -- at their postage expense!!
That is funny...but I guess the cost will be incl. in higher rates to compensate for it...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
If there's an infomercial for it, I don't touch it. So I treat this the same way I treat timeshares.

Besides, why not hang on to the physical gold for now anyway? There are enough end-of-the-worlders that'd probably agree with that.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
If there's an infomercial for it, I don't touch it.
Probably very sound advice. It's rare that one ends up on our TV while we may have it on, however a couple of times when I have seen a product on an infomercial I've doubted that it really performs like they claim. Out of curiosity I have done a Google search on 2 specific infomercial products. Both times the number 1 link in the search results was Consumer Complaints.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:25 AM

21 posts, read 108,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Everytime I see that ad, I am tempted to call the phone #, get my packet, and fill it with used rusty nails and mail it in.
or paint them gold lol. i needed a good laugh today

Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by going crazy View Post
or paint them gold lol. i needed a good laugh today
I'm thinking of putting a few baby shrimp in there and sending it in. Should be just right by the time they get it. Oh come on.. give me a rep point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics