Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:03 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Charlotte DID have a ton of jobs. In the mid to late 90's that was the place to be. It averaged under a 4% unemployment rate from 1990-2000, and constantly made the lowest cost of living area lists. This is the type of unemployment rate you see in areas heavily dependent on the government.

They got hit hard by the recessions of the early 2000's and the current recession, largely because they are so heavily invested in banking and finance.
Mid to late 90"s? Thats 9 to 19 years ago. When you see the writing on the wall you have to move on or pay the price. In these tough economic times you have to do what it takes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Y'all don't want to move to Oklahoma. We have tornados, spiders, snakes, hot summers and ice storms in the winter.
haha... I love it.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Mid to late 90"s? Thats 9 to 19 years ago. When you see the writing on the wall you have to move on or pay the price. In these tough economic times you have to do what it takes.

Well, if you move to a place thats going down in flames, right when its going down in flames, especially in the age of internet when you can research an area heavily with out much effort, Id have to question the logic or intellegence of the person moving.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Y'all don't want to move to Oklahoma. We have tornados, spiders, snakes, hot summers and ice storms in the winter.

Let OKC make a few more of those "Most affordable cities" lists. People will descend like locusts, and the tornadoes wont keep them out.

Check California. Earthquakes, mudslides, drought.......not enough to keep people away.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Let OKC make a few more of those "Most affordable cities" lists. People will descend like locusts, and the tornadoes wont keep them out.

Check California. Earthquakes, mudslides, drought.......not enough to keep people away.
Actually I don't know about that. Maybe. But when we announced to our NJ family and friends we were moving to OK we got a LOT of raised eyebrows. OK still has the redneck, bible belt, Grapes of Wrath reputation going for it. We love it, though. Very happy with our decision.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Actually I don't know about that. Maybe. But when we announced to our NJ family and friends we were moving to OK we got a LOT of raised eyebrows. OK still has the redneck, bible belt, Grapes of Wrath reputation going for it. We love it, though. Very happy with our decision.
Well good luck to you in keeping that stereotype a little while longer. Forbes is doing its best to get rid of it though!

Ill tell you what, all those stereotypes are far more then enough to keep my girlfriend terrified of moving to places like Texas or OKC.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Well, if you move to a place thats going down in flames, right when its going down in flames, especially in the age of internet when you can research an area heavily with out much effort, Id have to question the logic or intellegence of the person moving.
Yeah, well who told you to move to NC exactly? Not me. I was making the point that if you were living in NC and jobs started to disappear and things were getting real bad like they are now then it would be time to move on. Or if you had a huge chunk of your mortgage paid off and you saved a bunch you would be just fine staying where you were. You could afford to take a lower paying job or even ride it out.

Thats the position my wife and I are in. We could go 3 years straight without working. The odds that neither one of us would have a job for 3 years is slim to none though. We saved a ton during the "good times" we weren't out spending like crazy on frivolous things we didn't need like the save me feed me's out there.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Well good luck to you in keeping that stereotype a little while longer. Forbes is doing its best to get rid of it though!

Ill tell you what, all those stereotypes are far more then enough to keep my girlfriend terrified of moving to places like Texas or OKC.
It's funny you say that because people have all kinds of stereotypes about Texas and most of them are wrong. People don't realize the size of TX. Sure you can drive out to the middle of nowhere in TX and see some strange stuff. Do we have rattlesnakes in TX? Yes, but you would be hard pressed to find one in Dallas! Do people wear cowboy hats everywhere in TX? I have seen maybe one guy where a cowboy hat so far. Are there bible thumpers everywhere? No. It's funny because I hope the stereotypes keep people away from here because its truly and awesome place to live.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Thats the position my wife and I are in. We could go 3 years straight without working. The odds that neither one of us would have a job for 3 years is slim to none though. We saved a ton during the "good times" we weren't out spending like crazy on frivolous things we didn't need like the save me feed me's out there.
Why assume every person without significant savings is spending on frivolous things? What if a person never has a "good times"?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
In the Oklahoma City area, I see about 18-20 baseball caps for every one cowboy hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics