Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Looks like the results of China's stimulus is getting some results.
They also initiated a list of "shovel-ready jobs" as well as incentives to induce consumer spending within their own country.

Chinese rise in industrial output raises hopes of end to global recession - Telegraph

snippet:
"China's National Bureau of Statistics said yesterday that industrial output jumped 8.9pc in May, compared with a 7.3pc rise in April, and higher that a median forecast of 7.5pc growth.

Retail sales in China rose 15.2pc in the year to May, following a 14.8pc increase in April, which was also ahead of forecasts. They were the latest signs to suggest that the Government's $585bn (£355bn) stimulus is working."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Yes, and with 1.3 billion people to feed, clothe and shelter, they're going to need a lot of stuff, and lots of energy too. Just keeping these basic wheels spinning is bound to support a decent level of economic activity.

Then there's India with 1 billion more humans to provide for. Things are slow, but it's not the end of the world.

Commodities are up, oil has doubled since it bottomed at $33/bbl, the Baltic Shipping Index is up nicely too.

Genuine light at the end of the tunnel.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, and with 1.3 billion people to feed, clothe and shelter, they're going to need a lot of stuff, and lots of energy too. Just keeping these basic wheels spinning is bound to support a decent level of economic activity.

Then there's India with 1 billion more humans to provide for. Things are slow, but it's not the end of the world.

Commodities are up, oil has doubled since it bottomed at $33/bbl, the Baltic Shipping Index is up nicely too.

Genuine light at the end of the tunnel.
This is the reason why American investors have pulled their money out of the U.S. market and are now in China. Greed goes where money can be made. Forget about pride and support for one's own country. The noble values have been traded in for gold.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
The thig is their stimulus is all infrestructure and no pork added on. Is it greddy also that makes china invest their money in our debt? Afterall they are bascially paying for our stimulus and all the bailouts since we have no svings.No people have traded noble values for credit cards and the governamnt is the same.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Dictatorship does have it's advantages.

I've told people for years that the single best form of gov't would be a dictatorship run by capitalist who just forced sound economic principles down everyone throat and killed anyone who didn't comply.

You may recall a while back when inflation was heating up, the Chinese gov't told the banks to stop all lending immediately, which nipped things in the bud pretty quick. They also never got hoodwinked into the subprime mortgage paper market either.

As for greed, what are investors suppossed to do? Intentionaly lose money so everyone can whine and complain about how their 401K's are killed and they can't retire? Makes no sense to me. An investor is looking to make a profit and the most simple rules of capitalism and basic economics says not only will money flow to the best opportunities, but that it should for the greater good of all.

It seems to me China is serious about growing their economy and they're willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. We're not. We don't want anyone to lose or fail or get left out. We make decisions based on political correctness instead economic principles. We take into consideration stupid s-h-i-t like trees and global warming, china doesn't. China is the future it appears and that sucks.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:52 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
Greed goes where money can be made. Forget about pride and support for one's own country. The noble values have been traded in for gold.
That's just plain foolishness. At least if I invest in China, my intention is to profit from their efforts and bring that money back home to the US for my family. Think about that the next time you're in Walmart or the Christmas Tree Shop buying all that MADE-IN-CHINA crap that you don't need anyway. THAT money is NOT coming back!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
That's just plain foolishness. At least if I invest in China, my intention is to profit from their efforts and bring that money back home to the US for my family. Think about that the next time you're in Walmart or the Christmas Tree Shop buying all that MADE-IN-CHINA crap that you don't need anyway. THAT money is NOT coming back!
So basically the struggling middle class who but the cheap rubbish made in China help support the wealthy few like you? Yes I see where you are coming from. I don't shop at Walmart but I know there a large number of people who work there that can't buy that cheap garbage they sell. So on behalf of the middle class we thank you for concern. Outsourcing jobs to China feathered your bed and made many people poor.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Since thier stiluklus is inferastrusture aimed its liie they will need to produce things to do it.I am sure their materials prodcution will go up as well as their energy to do these jobs .all raising production. Tyhey also seem to be buying up energy contracts and comodities rather than other investments looking forward tot weh future.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:26 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
China isn't obsessed with regulation and cap and trade and other things that kill manufacturing. They're investing in and buying gold, oil, metals, and actually DOING something other than buidling bridges for turtles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics