Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,859,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Totally disagree.
Yes you may but the wealthy are in the minority in this country and they are the ones who have the cash. I say let's put tariffs on every luxury car coming in from Germany, Sweden and England. Also increase the property taxes on home worth more than one million dollars. You got the cash, its time you should pony up and pay your fair share. After all the democrats are in office and your money will soon be ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,768,437 times
If the government was not favoring some over others there would be no rich people to suck up most of the capital. A true free market with minimal government oversight allows anyone able to work the opportunity to get their share. Instead we have a system with regulatory hurdles to prevent competition, a legal system as obsolete as a buggy whip, perpetual copyrights and a monetary system designed to give a few almost limitless wealth. Government should only be a referee in the market when corruption prevents innovation. The solution is smaller governments and a simpler system of taxation.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:27 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
Yes you may but the wealthy are in the minority in this country and they are the ones who have the cash. I say let's put tariffs on every luxury car coming in from Germany, Sweden and England. Also increase the property taxes on home worth more than one million dollars. You got the cash, its time you should pony up and pay your fair share. After all the democrats are in office and your money will soon be ours.
I hope you are trolling.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,946,488 times
What people don't get is Bush's recession ended a couple months ago but now we're going into Obama's recession.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
I hope you are trolling.
Of course I am. I don't believe in government intervention in our economy but because Wall Street dropped the ball the federal government thinks they have the right to dictate how the economy is going to be run. Who is at fault for this mess? Both of them. If the banks were not allowed to deregulate we would not be in as deep as we are.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Of course I am. I don't believe in government intervention in our economy but because Wall Street dropped the ball the federal government thinks they have the right to dictate how the economy is going to be run. Who is at fault for this mess? Both of them. If the banks were not allowed to deregulate we would not be in as deep as we are.
You mean when the banks lowered standards for loans causing much of the problems we have today?

Check out the date this was published.

Assault on the mortgage lenders

Quote:
Assault on the mortgage lenders: in the name of racial justice, the Clintonites want the power to decide who gets a home of his own - efforts to impose regulations on banks to make loans even if applicants are not creditworthy
National Review , Dec 27, 1993 by Robert Stowe England

QUIETLY, behind the scenes, the Clinton Administration is preparing for the biggest regulatory crackdown of recent years. Attorney General Janet Reno is linking up with banking regulators and with HUD Secretary Henry Cisneros to end the supposed epidemic of discrimination against minorities in making home loans. The implications for society at large are ominous. (No kidding)

Here, as in affirmative-action efforts in hiring, college admissions, and the drawing of voting districts, the Washington establishment is obsessed with "disparate impact," which it equates with racism. In the mortgage-lending area, there is ample evidence of disparate impact to feed this obsession. Data collected by the Federal Government reveal that in 1992, while 16 per cent of white applicants for mortgage loans were rejected, 36 per cent of black applicants were rejected.

snip
Just a reminder both parties of government are equally worthless when it comes to our nations downfall.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,098,430 times
Quote:
What makes you an expert? Nothing.
Never said I was an expert, but unlike this angry redneck I do know about economics.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 PM

62 posts, read 146,214 times
Gold, Silver and other commodities have been on a steady rise for most of this decade. While I know nothing about the gentlemen in the video (I did not watch or listen to it), I do know that commodity prices reflect expectations about future inflation as well the current value of the US dollar.

Commodity prices have been falling recently due to a strengthening dollar. While many unsophisticated investors are being sucked into this trade by fear based sales pitches, there is one scenario which they would be right.

We have been printing money like there is no tomorrow to prop up these ragged banks (I think they should have been allowed to fail...but I digress) and to prevent "deflation". Right now the macroeconomic situation is so bad that expanded money supply has "stabilized" the economy. Here is the catch, if the Federal Reserve does not shrink the money supply as well as raise interest rate very quickly when we do start to actually recover the dollar will decline severely in value (it is already weak) and inflation could spiral out of control. Under this scenario the prices of all commodities would go through the roof.

While I certainly do not have blind faith in the Federal Reserve to do what it needs to do when the time comes, I do not think we will see that worst case scenario. However, they may still puck it up somehow!

Personally I would not pay $900 per ounce for Gold or $13.60 per ounce for silver but there are a lot of late night TV and newspaper ads selling fear.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM

I know who we all can buy American. Go right over to your outdoor shop and buy a Marlin, Remington or Ruger rifle or shotgun. You just might need it very soon when the market falls deep into the toilet.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I know who we all can buy American. Go right over to your outdoor shop and buy a Marlin, Remington or Ruger rifle or shotgun. You just might need it very soon when the market falls deep into the toilet.
There's some talk about 25% unemployment in California.

This would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics