Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times

Advertisements

I don't think so davidt1. When Cap & Trade came up for vote last Friday there were so many phone calls they took the WH switchboard down.

The bailout bill..the WH email system went down there was so much traffic.

Oh I think Americans are speaking out or at least trying to. I just don't think they care anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,280,390 times
I'm not sure if it applies to this particular situation or not but my son is in charge of computer systems for a NYC firm and he was constantly being harassed by Indian companies trying to get him to hire their workers.

After he told me about this and that he needed to hire people I insisted it was important that he look for local people especially older experienced ones as they would need less training and could work independently. He did finally hire those in their 50's and as expected has been quite happy with the decision.

Hiring managers need to be more strong minded and not cave in to the bombardment, plus we need to put pressure on them to hire our own who need jobs.
-------------------------

I just got on the IBM site to complain about this. They have 28 pages of open positions in the Americas including a ton of jobs all across the US in case anyone's looking.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 06-30-2009 at 02:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times
What the big corps like to do is advertise for the positions even though they have no intention of actually interviewing americans for the jobs... much less hiring one. they also skew the job descriptions to qualifications that many americans will not have because the college system over here does not offer it. So they can say to the govt - SEE we cannot find any americans to do these jobs -
even though the americans were doing those jobs and got laid off and replaced by an off-shore worker.
They do not have the qualifications and could not be hired to do their own jobs basically. Even though they may be doing a fantastic job at them now.

What the big deal I am suspecting - is that these offshoring firms give the corps a lowball price and a turnkey solution and they pre-qualify the workers so the corps don't have to do anything and they get to write it off somehow. Even though there can be abuses and in one case at least those qualifications included degrees from the university of xerox.

I wonder if IBM will actually hire americans for many of those positions. I hope so.

I know there is some pressure to not increase the # of visas - and the politicians are actually looking into it because large numbers of their constituents are out of work, possibly displaced by the H1Bs. About time.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,115,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
What the big corps like to do is advertise for the positions even though they have no intention of actually interviewing americans for the jobs... much less hiring one. they also skew the job descriptions to qualifications that many americans will not have because the college system over here does not offer it. So they can say to the govt
This is hogwash as companies are not required to prove whether they've looked in the local job market or not. The visas are granted based on the reasonableness of the application. An application for a standard job will be rejected.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,935,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
"P" used to stand for Patriotism. All it stands for now is Profits. Meanwhile our fellow Americans are damned to unemployment.
you got that right, and to add insult to injury they are using taxpayer dollars in the form of a government contract to bring in the foreign workers.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,814,781 times
What about all American's working abroad on visa's....do you want them to be fired?

All over the world American's are happy to work in other countries so you have to look at it from both sides...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,115,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What about all American's working abroad on visa's....do you want them to be fired?
Of course not, Americans should be able to get their cake and eat it too.

Lets also stop foreign imports, but demand that exports don't decline! The world owes us!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times
Interesting article:

Careers - H-1B, Foreign Workers - H-1B Visas and Unemployment: A Federal Case (http://blogs.eweek.com/careers/content001/h-1b_foreign_workers/h1-b_visas_and_unemployment_a_federal_case.html - broken link)

Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM

51 posts, read 106,646 times
IBM is the king of outsourcing.

And those that think these big Tech companies are not screening out american workers, I have a bridge to sell you. I am an engineering manager and I know first hand. I am constantly fighting to get experienced people, mostly american(citizens now). But I am constantly pushed to hire the phd or masters holding new hires that don't know crap and can't hold a candle to some of the people that were laid off not long ago. But it keeps the budget down.....

I have seen it over and over. Layoffs come, not 1 H1B1 worker out of almost 100 in my site was laid off. However 6 of those laid off now had their citizenship. The rest were americans. by percentage it was greatly disproportionate.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 PM

253 posts, read 1,056,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

No it has not. US companies need to have the ability to hire top talent from the global, not just the US. It would hurt American industry if a company could not hire experts from other countries.
I agree with this. Let's say I want to be sponsored for a job in Canada. I must meet a pretty high requirement in order to be strongly considered as a sponsor candidate when the company could hold out longer and try to find someone local for the position. I must be very skilled and very good at what I do. I can't just be anyone with the minimum amount of skills required. I must fulfill a very particular role that is hard to find in Canada overall, especially that province.

The company is not going to go that far in sponsoring me if I offer no special value to the company. They are going to look at my background and qualifications very closely. They will see that they are the kind of candidate they've been looking for and it looks as if I will be a great fit. So they will go out of their way to sponsor me so I can get a work visa.

The only other exception I can think of is being in a very distinctive industry of which most of the population of Canada does not hold certification, expertise or training in.

In this instance, Canada would not contain a large percentage of workers trained and skilled for the positions needed to be filled at a particular Canadian company. It just so happens to be that my location in the U.S. has more skilled workers in that specialized field due to the academic resources and the cultural values of my location.

So that Canadian company will be quite open to sponsoring many U.S. workers for job openings, rather than unqualified locals, especially if those positions are very much in demand.

So over time, it would not be surprising to see that the company's employee stats show a large percentage of skilled workers from the U.S. employed there.

Might this be the case with some U.S. companies with highly specialized roles and positions in a high demand industry (engineering, computer information systems, R&D, medicine and so forth)? Especially if workers abroad are paid the same and are offered benefits just as and like U.S. workers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics