Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times

Advertisements

CBO Cost Estimate of Cap & Trade Pulls Out All the Gimmicks - Mises Economics Blog

http://www.instituteforenergyresearc...ey-energy-tax/

in part:Rags to Riches: How the CBO Transforms a Stealth Tax Into a Phantom Tax Cut

There are several major flaws with the CBO approach, but perhaps the most outrageous example of sleight of hand is the CBO’s focus on after-tax income. Because Waxman-Markey will raise prices more than incomes, households will necessarily become poorer. This will push households into lower tax brackets—and thus have lower tax liabilities to the tune of roughly $8.7 billion. Normal people would consider this to be a downside of Waxman-Markey. CBO is not normal. It considers this $8.7 billion as an addition to total household income—money from heaven!—and goes about celebrating the effect of this policy without saying a thing about the cause.

Beyond the absurdity of translating rising prices into a benefit for households—on the basis that poorer people pay less in taxes—the CBO’s treatment of income tax revenues is inconsistent with its treatment of carbon allowance auction receipts. The CBO study acknowledges that households will pay higher energy prices partly because businesses will “pass on” the cost of buying emission allowances. But CBO didn’t include this component as a net cost to households, because the government could "spend the auction receipts and thus recycle some of the money back into households".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Well, predicatably, the Great Obama will take the stage again today to tell us why things are so great, in spite of these new unemployment numbers. Didn't he say the other day "the stimulus has done its job" ???
The President's job is Cheerleader In Chief. It's his actions that are killing us.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,943,575 times
World stocks, oil down amid waning recovery hopes...where's Romans now with her brilliant analysis ...

World stocks, oil down amid waning recovery hopes - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/World-stocks-fall-as-oil-apf-4133141821.html?x=0&.v=5 - broken link)

Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM

6,575 posts, read 6,746,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If you disagree with the estimates than provide real information that shows otherwise.
There is NO real information Sherlock.....that's the point. It's ALL made up. There is no "climate change". I'm from the government and I'm here to help you, lol.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:59 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
There is NO real information Sherlock.....that's the point. It's ALL made up. There is no "climate change". I'm from the government and I'm here to help you, lol.
All the estimates are made up? Then how do you know its a bad thing?

Moving away from fossil fuels is about far more than climate change.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
And it going to be very costly and is still a long way off as none now makeup 1% of fossil fuels with wood be the closest.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
All the estimates are made up? Then how do you know its a bad thing?

Moving away from fossil fuels is about far more than climate change.
Common sense tells me so. I'm sitting in a state that was covered in a mile & a half ice sheet 10,000 years ago. The climate changes all the time. Wind & solar are not going to take the place of oil & gas anytime soon. Check out how the cap & trade system woked out for Spain and tell me that's what you want for the USA ?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Common sense tells me so. I'm sitting in a state that was covered in a mile & a half ice sheet 10,000 years ago.
Common sense tells you what? If all the estimates are fake how can you determine the worth of the program?

So because there was an ice age 10,000 years ago humans are not causing climate change today? huh?

Quote:
Wind & solar are not going to take the place of oil & gas anytime soon.
Wind and solar are not the only options. And yes, if there is no incentive to switch then its not going to happen "anytime soon", rather when we must switch. Gradually decreasing our usage of fossil fuels over the next 1~2 decades is better than being forced to do it in 1~2 decades.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
World stocks, oil down amid waning recovery hopes...where's Romans now with her brilliant analysis ...

World stocks, oil down amid waning recovery hopes - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/World-stocks-fall-as-oil-apf-4133141821.html?x=0&.v=5 - broken link)
what will people say when the stock market goes up again in several weeks?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Common sense tells you what? If all the estimates are fake how can you determine the worth of the program?

So because there was an ice age 10,000 years ago humans are not causing climate change today? huh?

Wind and solar are not the only options. And yes, if there is no incentive to switch then its not going to happen "anytime soon", rather when we must switch. Gradually decreasing our usage of fossil fuels over the next 1~2 decades is better than being forced to do it in 1~2 decades.
What do you know about science, lol. Nothing. We can't figure out the weather for next week but week know all about climate change ? I mentioned the ice age because we still don't understand why that happened. You do know the earth has been cooling for the last 10 years ? I've asked you twice to comment on Spain and their cap & trade nightmare ? We will be using fossil fuels in 100 years (oil & gas) and we should be using more nuclear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics