Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times

Advertisements

And here we have it folks...

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - China to deploy foreign exchange reserves

Now, in another thread we've been talking about the collapse of the dollar and the U.S. economy.

I wonder how much protest this will cause in the U.S. Congress. Refusing China's attempts to buy productive U.S. assets would most certainly count as an act of default on our debt obligations. So I guess there's a third possibility in addition to honest default and money printing.

The last sentence is classic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
And here we have it folks...

FT.com / Asia-Pacific - China to deploy foreign exchange reserves

Now, in another thread we've been talking about the collapse of the dollar and the U.S. economy.

I wonder how much protest this will cause in the U.S. Congress. Refusing China's attempts to buy productive U.S. assets would most certainly count as an act of default on our debt obligations. So I guess there's a third possibility in addition to honest default and money printing.

The last sentence is classic...

This is a capitalistic world. Capital flows, sometimes inside national border, sometimes outside, big fxxing deal. Loads of people are just plain ignorant. If American companies invest in China, they'll whine about Chinese stealing their jobs. Now Chinese investing in America, they'll whine Chinese buying their asset. (if anything, it's recycling dollar back to the US, which help pay for all the credit card debt as well as all the big macho freedom-spreading military adventures). Make you wonder under what circumstances they would stop the annoying whining.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
This is a capitalistic world. Capital flows, sometimes inside national border, sometimes outside, big fxxing deal. Loads of people are just plain ignorant. If American companies invest in China, they'll whine about Chinese stealing their jobs. Now Chinese investing in America, they'll whine Chinese buying their asset. (if anything, it's recycling dollar back to the US, which help pay for all the credit card debt as well as all the big macho freedom-spreading military adventures). Make you wonder under what circumstances they would stop the annoying whining.
Exactly, but whining we'll see. I would love the Chinese to come and build an oil refinery in my state (North Carolina), for example. Could make us a lot less susceptible to the gas shortages from hurricane season. Would employ tons of people.

This is definitely a good thing if they come here with their money.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
That's what happens when the Fed creates inflation. Chinese holders want out before they end up holding toilet paper. The best bet is for countries that are being bought up by the Chinese to destroy or steal the assets before the Chinese can get them. Actually i believe that governments will start heavily taxing foreign holders of assets.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Whats the problem? We need investment.

Also, I would point out that forgeiner's from the East and Middle East have a rather horrific track record to put it midly when it comes buying US assets.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfastnoodle View Post
Totally agree with you, except the "freedom-spreading military adventures" - they are "fiasco-spreading military adventures" (the Korean War was a fiasco, Vietnam was another one, and now this Iraq nightmare)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:46 PM

513 posts, read 1,581,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
Totally agree with you, except the "freedom-spreading military adventures" - they are "fiasco-spreading military adventures" (the Korean War was a fiasco, Vietnam was another one, and now this Iraq nightmare)
I was being sarcastic. That being said, I don't think Korean war was a fiasco at least not until big Mac went all testosterone and crossed the 38th line. I'm of the opinion that war is inevitable and greed is incurable, both our own greed and greed of other people. So we should just flow with it. As long as we could get away with and benefiting from starting a war. Iraq war is a mess not just because the excuse cited by the administration turned out to be bogus (I don't care bogus excuse that much to be honest, politics is a dirty business, if you don't want to be eaten alive, you better learn to play dirty), and it's not just because the whole insurgency thing and trillions of dollars in expense. It's the ripple effect that I concern the most. Iraq war destroyed any hope that the whole nuclear devil could be contained, everybody with half an shred of brain realized after Iraq war that the only thing that could protect you from being labeled evil, invade and occupied is nuclear weapon. Saddam didn't have nukes and did everything he could to convince everybody he didn't have, at least prior to the war. North Korea had nukes, detonated it twice and told everybody with ears that they had nukes, all the macho freedom-spreading warriors just went "puff", nowhere to be seen. The stark contrast is worth more than any "incentive", "recognition" the US or the West could possibly offer. (speaking of nukes, immediately after India and Pakistan detonated nukes and were placed under sanction, I, back then still very young and idealistic, was indignant at them and mocked them for pursuing nukes when it's clear they had less influence than nukeless countries like Germany and Japan. My father calmly pointed out to me that it wouldn't take more than a few years for the US, Japan and Europe to crawl back to India and Pakistan and beg to deal with them which was exactly what happened. I don't think nuclear proliferation is reversible at this point, for better or for worse, future historians will not see the invasion of Iraq as "freedom spreading" commendable endeavor,nor would they go berserk over the cost, blood spilled and lies the war based on, they will probably see it as a crucial, if not the first, watershed moment in the democratization of nuclear weapon, which might lead to world peace based on mutually assured destruction or nuclear apocalypse, I don't know. But I do think there is nothing we can do to change it now)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Exactly, but whining we'll see. I would love the Chinese to come and build an oil refinery in my state (North Carolina), for example. Could make us a lot less susceptible to the gas shortages from hurricane season. Would employ tons of people.

This is definitely a good thing if they come here with their money.
No one is foolish enough to try building a refinery in the USA;it would be a nightmare and take for ever to get the permits. The chinese thou are investing in crude production is other south american countries. They are investign in drilling off the cuba caost.They are investing in all sorts of commodites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics