Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 AM

975 posts, read 1,754,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Up 11%, but from how far DOWN?

Foreclosures are also UP 15%
Foreclosures up: 1 in 84 homes affected in first half of year - USATODAY.com
Foreclosures up is good to. How do you people feed youselves knowing so little?

Btw, that was last weeks news. Please try to keep up with the game. And 83 out of 84 homeowners are paying their mortgage on time..Yippie.

Now lets kill those prices and get this show on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
I hear some folks talking about how they can build new homes these days for cheaper than builders can sell their new 2008 homes for, and certainly cheaper than they can buy a resale home tied to a bubble-sized mortgage.
I used to to build homes here in So Cal and let me tell you: you CANNOT build a quality home cheaper than you can go out and buy one. The cost of labor and materials is out of sight, not to mention plans, permits, lot, and a million other things. Builders can sell cheaper because they build bulk and pass the savings onto the buyer. If you want to buy a lot out in the mid-west and plunk a single-story modular onto it, then yes, it's cheaper to do it that way.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Hmmm, Interesting.

Actually my point of posting this is simply that IF new homes were down 3 months in a row and plunged 11% in the 3rd month, the resident doom and gloomer's would be using that as proof of how bad things are as would Zerohedge, Shedlock and Denninger.

The truth is all it means is that we're working off inventory and that is good. But the same way 3 bad months doesn't mean squat about the future neither does 3 good ones.

Perspective. Never lose it and remember things are never as good or bad as they appear.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I used to to build homes here in So Cal and let me tell you: you CANNOT build a quality home cheaper than you can go out and buy one. The cost of labor and materials is out of sight, not to mention plans, permits, lot, and a million other things. Builders can sell cheaper because they build bulk and pass the savings onto the buyer. If you want to buy a lot out in the mid-west and plunk a single-story modular onto it, then yes, it's cheaper to do it that way.
I don't think you understood my question. Compared to this time last year:

Hasn't the cost of labor fallen with these unemployment levels? The construction workers I know cannot find work, and I seem to recall that there's data to support this view that there's a glut of housing-related workers.

Hasn't the cost of materials fallen? I know that we've had big layoffs at several building materials suppliers in my area. Perhaps this is regional.

Has the cost of land not gone down? It would seem logical that they'd fall along with housing prices, incomes, employment, lending, etc.

If these were true, it would explain why people were buying 2009 homes, instead of homes built with 2008 or 2007 labor & material costs, 2006 land and financing costs, etc.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM

2,221 posts, read 5,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post

The truth is all it means is that we're working off inventory and that is good. But the same way 3 bad months doesn't mean squat about the future neither does 3 good ones.
No, at least around here in Colorado, this means that people are contracting to build even more inventory...the supply of completed spec houses is already at rock-bottom lows, and nearly all of the new home sales around here are custom orders.

Let's also not forget seasonality...an 11% spike (from dismal record-setting lows) is not cause to declare victory, as we're already approaching the end of the normal annual buying season.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Are these not just signed contracts, and not final sales ? I'm not sure, but if that's the case then this does not really mean all that much since close to 40% of all signed contracs on homes fell through in the past several months.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
When I see unemployment go down dramatically from what it is now and that its because they are now fully employed and not part time employed or just stopped looking altogether for work, I will say the economy has gotten better.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
No, at least around here in Colorado, this means that people are contracting to build even more inventory...the supply of completed spec houses is already at rock-bottom lows, and nearly all of the new home sales around here are custom orders.

Let's also not forget seasonality...an 11% spike (from dismal record-setting lows) is not cause to declare victory, as we're already approaching the end of the normal annual buying season.
I don't get your point. If inventory is at rock bottom lows then it makes sense to add inventory. Victory? Why can't I declare victory if you can?

Seasonality is seasonality. It's an apples to apples comparison. What more do you want?

You folks need to wake up to the fact that there has never been a time when you couldn't find enough problems to conclude it's over. But, the American economy is a lot bigger than most can get their minds around.

The housing number is a huge number. It's moving in the right direction and IF that continues it will be good for the overall economy. Same as if housing tanks that would be bad for the economy. Nevertheless, the time to be negative was a few years ago when you thought everything was fine.

Early bird gets the worm as they say..Yumm. I feel hungry.

Btw, your 401K is still toast. LOL!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
When I see unemployment go down dramatically from what it is now and that its because they are now fully employed and not part time employed or just stopped looking altogether for work, I will say the economy has gotten better.
Okay, now back to that day job. Lunch break is over.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
While encouraging news, a one-month spike is no cause to pop the champagne corks just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics