Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
For now that may be true. But China is divesting of their Treasuries and investing in hard commodities and also the new IMF notes. Remember China has started the rumblings of a new world currency.

These things take time. IMHO the wheels are in motion for that to happen in a few years. The US will implode under it's debt load if we continue down this path of spending like there's no tomorrow.
Actually what you're seeing is probably more like China is scared ****less that were going to end up defaulting on that debt thus screwing the crap out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
they are trying to tell you you are writing too many IOU's.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:37 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
You kids crack me up. 20 years ago the kids were saying the exact same thing about Japan.

You all should have learned a simple lesson by now watching the banking crisis play out but I guess not. If you owe someone a little bit of money they own you. If you owe them a ton of money you own them.
that is nonsense. debt is subjugation, not wealth and not power! i am not surprised to see that theory trotted out by those who are increasing the risks to america in this giant bubble they are attempting to inflate.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is nonsense. debt is subjugation, not wealth and not power! i am not surprised to see that theory trotted out by those who are increasing the risks to america in this giant bubble they are attempting to inflate.
Oh yeah, tell that to the financial institutions that were too big too fail and those who were small enough to be allowed to fail.

Amazing. You've been bitching about this everyday for months. I guess it just proves User_ID's point that you just copy and paste crap without even understanding it.

And how in the **** am I, a person with zero debt not even a mortgage, increasing anyone's risk you fruitcake?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, tell that to the financial institutions that were too big too fail and those who were small enough to be allowed to fail.

Amazing. You've been bitching about this everyday for months. I guess it just proves User_ID's point that you just copy and paste crap without even understanding it.

And how in the **** am I, a person with zero debt not even a mortgage, increasing anyone's risk you fruitcake?
i must be touching a nerve since the name calling has escalated! imagine what would happen in your scenario if people withheld tax payments to the government. would the government be richer with a greater debt load? they would have more debt and, according to you, more wealth!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Sandy, are you screwing with me or are you really this dumb?

Your scenerio is backwards. It would be the people who owe not the gov't and if every single person stopped paying their taxes it would be the people who would have more control. But your example is really stupid and misses the point. This isn't about wealth it's about power. If you owe someone a gigantic amount of money you actually have the ability to exert control over them because they need you or they're screwed. Thats why banks foreclose on little twits but renegotaite with developers who owe them billions.

btw, the only nerve your touching is my disdain for stupid people. Call it a personality flaw on my part.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Sandy, are you screwing with me or are you really this dumb?

Your scenerio is backwards. It would be the people who owe not the gov't and if every single person stopped paying their taxes it would be the people who would have more control. But your example is really stupid and misses the point. This isn't about wealth it's about power. If you owe someone a gigantic amount of money you actually have the ability to exert control over them because they need you or they're screwed. Thats why banks foreclose on little twits but renegotaite with developers who owe them billions.

btw, the only nerve your touching is my disdain for stupid people. Call it a personality flaw on my part.
you are trying to twist the scenario to fit your own silly agenda. according to your theory, the more money the government owes the more power it actually has.

since our government owes gigantic amounts of money, our country should be gaining in world power and our dollar should be rising in value, yet our dollar is actually dropping in value and there are movements for currencies to veer away from the dollar.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Argh! Why do I even try?

First, since all this debt came about the dollar hasn't fallen.
Second, countries are trying to get away from our debt for exactly the reasons I've outlined. The more we owe them at this point the less control they have over us because they're never going to get repaid.

May a bomb drop on your trailer park this weekend and increase the worlds IQ 1 point.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Argh! Why do I even try?

First, since all this debt came about the dollar hasn't fallen.
Second, countries are trying to get away from our debt for exactly the reasons I've outlined. The more we owe them at this point the less control they have over us because they're never going to get repaid.

May a bomb drop on your trailer park this weekend and increase the worlds IQ 1 point.
you said the more we owe the more control we have, and now you have reversed yourself, finally admitting that there are debt levels that are not beneficial or sustainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics