Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
That is what I meant. That "ceiling" is no more than a hot air balloon. It raises at will so there is really no debt limit. The debt is following a natural logarithmic curve and when it approaches vertical inclination the next step is total collapse.
I think you mean an exponential curve, if you're referring to accelerating debt . Proof:

y(t)=P*e^t
y'(t) = P*e^t
y''(t) = P*e^t

where as logarithmic:
y(t)=ln(t)
y'(t) = 1/x
y''(t) = -1/(x^2)

The exponential function will have a velocity that changes faster and faster, meaning the slope of the curve tends to infinity as t does at a faster rate than a logarithmic curve (not natural logarithmic, as that is a specific function pertaining to Euler's number, e, and the base of this function is unknown to us without further analysis). In fact, as t tends to infinity, the velocity of a logarithmic function and it's acceleration get smaller.

See:
Exponential function:
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/mathk7/icons/f26.gif (broken link)
Logarithmic:

See how ln(t) has a slope that gets flatter, while exponential has one that gets steeper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:58 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, this is their game and they can change the rules whenever they want.
it buys them 2 more months.....

Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I am kind of curious as to what the government will have to pay back all the overpaid income taxes... I mean I am expecting a payback and will file my taxes ASAP... where are they going to get all the money to pay back all those taxes... unless they pull in more than they pay back in tax season...

Old 12-25-2009, 06:45 AM

929 posts, read 2,092,641 times
Maybe we need to tie the rate of debt to the pay and benefits that each member of congress will receive. National debt goes up, pay and benefits for congress goes down. They can only receive 100% of their pay and benefits if the debt is zero. As crafty as these codgers are, they will find the crumbs of graft to get by. What a system.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:23 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am kind of curious as to what the government will have to pay back all the overpaid income taxes... I mean I am expecting a payback and will file my taxes ASAP... where are they going to get all the money to pay back all those taxes... unless they pull in more than they pay back in tax season...
They will print the money as they have been doing. They will do the same to "pay" for this deficit. This deficit will not be paid off. It is estimated that even if they pay 1 billion a day it would still take 3,667 years to pay off.

This all means inflation because the government will print the money to try to pay its debts off and we will be stuck paying for the rest with inflation and a very weak economy. The government or the Federal Reserve doesn't think inflation is a problem.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,274 times
Here are some people taking a stand,
check it out [url]http://www.wethepeopleuseit.org[/url]

Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Thank God we've got valuable assets we can sell!!!

Having lost patience with paying China interest on our T-bills, they aim a long-range missle at San Francisco:

"Give us our money or else! Those commuters crossing those two bridges to San Francisco are really gonna miss those bridges!"

"Wait, wait, wait! Which island do you prefer? Oahu? Maui? The Big Island? Or how about a few of those Aleutian islands? Think ahead! With continued global warming, those Aleutian islands will one day be year-round getaways!"

Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM

73 posts, read 74,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Thank God we've got valuable assets we can sell!!!

Having lost patience with paying China interest on our T-bills, they aim a long-range missle at San Francisco:

"Give us our money or else! Those commuters crossing those two bridges to San Francisco are really gonna miss those bridges!"

"Wait, wait, wait! Which island do you prefer? Oahu? Maui? The Big Island? Or how about a few of those Aleutian islands? Think ahead! With continued global warming, those Aleutian islands will one day be year-round getaways!"
All we need to do is to write them a check. Our national debt is the world's reserve currency.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Ain't see nutin yet!!!
Wait till after November.

They are propping up the numbers right now...
Example???
GM.

Enough said.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes there is.. A debt ceiling is the maximum amount of debt that the Treasury department is allowed to take on before the government has to shut down due to no operating money.
Then you are a sucker because they can vote up that "debt limit" anytime they like. I think I will limit how often I say American suckers are suckers to just 1 this time. On second thought I'd like to raise the limit again I think to 2. Americans are suckers. Oh geeze I am at the limit. I think I will raise it to 5. Americans are suckers. Americans are suckers. Americans are suckers.

The reason why they are suckers(raising the limit to 6) is because they raise the limits with no problem at all to bolster the banking ponzi schemes in the trillions, but then whine an cry at the prospect of lowering income taxes which should be banned out of existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics