Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,433,032 times

Advertisements

For me, I am in the 40 something club and we have been out of high school this year for 25 years. I was just wondering are you or have you attended your 10th, 25th or even 30th high school reunion?

I went to Compton High, yes the notorious city of Compton High School, and I am happy that my class will be having one. For those of you who have attended your class reunion, how was the experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
I graduated over 30 years ago and I haven't attended one reunion. High school represents the three most miserable years of my life. Why would I want to relive that?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,775,984 times
I went to my 10 and 20. We didn't have an official 30 yr, but one girl did try to organize one anyway. I would have gone, but we were moving from Houston to OKC that weekend, so I had to pass.

The 10 was really kind of funny. Everyone was trying to impress everyone else, proving how far they had come. A friend of mine happened to marry a very wealthy guy. She called me the night before to make sure I would be dressed appropriately (cocktail attire). I guess she thought I was going to wear overalls or something! She was bragging about her expensive dress she'd bought at Neiman Marcus or someplace. I had a nice cocktail dress I'd bought on cheap clearance, but it looked really nice. Anyway, when we showed up at the reunion, there were 2 other girls, both single, one a secretary and the other worked at a bank, both wearing her expensive, fancy dress. I laughed all night. My cute little dress looked great, got complements all night on it, and I paid something like $20 for it.

By the 20 year, everyone was just trying to recognize everyone else. The jocks were fat and bald. All the cute skinny cheerleaders weren't cute and skinny anymore. Several were already grandparents. That made me feel young, because my kids were just in elementary school. Everyone was really much more relaxed, and really seemed to enjoy it a lot more than the 10 year.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I graduated over 30 years ago and I haven't attended one reunion. High school represents the three most miserable years of my life. Why would I want to relive that?
Ditto. Interesting that we're both back in HS Ivory.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM

45,513 posts, read 60,746,993 times
Went to the 5th, 10th and 25th. Drank way too much at the first two, had quit drinking by the 25th. Will probably go to the 40th in a couple years.

The 25th was probably the most depressing, by that time we were hitting middle age and the successes were evident, as were the not so successful (I'm trying to be nice here). We'd had a couple die by then through accident, illness or misadventure leavened with divorces and personal tragedies. The athletes in many cases were reliving Fall days when what they did seemed important, the skinny guys were fat and bald (except for me) and the prettiest girl in the class was unrecognizable.

I'm now at the age where more people have died (my best friend a few years ago. She had a heart attack at her daughter's soccer game four years after her husband killed himself. Everyone figured we'd end up getting married. She wanted things I couldn't provide and she was way too bossy.) of the illnesses of approaching old age.

Maybe I won't go.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,433,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I went to my 10 and 20. We didn't have an official 30 yr, but one girl did try to organize one anyway. I would have gone, but we were moving from Houston to OKC that weekend, so I had to pass.

The 10 was really kind of funny. Everyone was trying to impress everyone else, proving how far they had come. A friend of mine happened to marry a very wealthy guy. She called me the night before to make sure I would be dressed appropriately (cocktail attire). I guess she thought I was going to wear overalls or something! She was bragging about her expensive dress she'd bought at Neiman Marcus or someplace. I had a nice cocktail dress I'd bought on cheap clearance, but it looked really nice. Anyway, when we showed up at the reunion, there were 2 other girls, both single, one a secretary and the other worked at a bank, both wearing her expensive, fancy dress. I laughed all night. My cute little dress looked great, got complements all night on it, and I paid something like $20 for it.

By the 20 year, everyone was just trying to recognize everyone else. The jocks were fat and bald. All the cute skinny cheerleaders weren't cute and skinny anymore. Several were already grandparents. That made me feel young, because my kids were just in elementary school. Everyone was really much more relaxed, and really seemed to enjoy it a lot more than the 10 year.
I just lost about 40 pounds just in time for my class reunion, and my best friend told me how many of the jocks are now sporting pot bellies instead of six packs. Although I am not a grand parent yet, my oldest child will be 20 next month, and my youngest is 14. Since I am on my reunion's committee, I will be attending.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
I went to my fifth and tenth. This year was the year of our fifteenth, and it was cancelled due to "lack of interest" (or the conflicting Lady Antebellum concert the night reunions are held in my hometown, which coincides with an annual festival). I suspect that with most of my peer group on facebook, more and more people will take the "I already connect with the people I want to connect with, and have no need for a reunion" stance.

I also went to both my five-year college class reunion (my college was smaller than many suburban high schools, so reunions are "done" moreso than in large universities), and my ten-year. The five year was laid back and fun, the ten-year was rather stuffy and full of people trying too hard.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 AM

812 posts, read 1,910,058 times
Well I missed my 10 yr for a friend's wedding, hubby went to his 10 yr by himself, his 20 yr is in October but not sure if we can afford to go with weekend football games already planned before and after. My 20 yr is NEXT fall--will probably conflict with football season and hubby's bday.

Hubby doesn't know anyone I went to HS with, I only reconnected with some of them on Facebook last year and don't really talk to any of them regularly. It is nice to see how many of them have kids the same ages as mine (waited til we were in our 30's to have kids). I may go but not really hyped up- I am sure people will be nice but I am not close to anyone, didn't hold onto those friendships and they can see what I am doing on FB so not much to say/talk about it.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:28 PM

513 posts, read 542,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post

I had the same type of experience - the 10 year reunion was really just an extension of HS - a lot of posturing and the same old cliques. But the 20th was much more relaxed. No one seemed as concerned with "showing off" but were more relaxed and seemed to enjoy themselves.

The funniest part of the 20th for me was that first classmate I met said "you look so different", the second said "you haven't changed one bit". Go figure

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,360,728 times
my 10 year anniversary is coming up and I have zero desire to go. seriously, as mentioned, if I haven't connected w/ them through facebook by now, I won't do it at a reunion. I hated HS anyways. besides which, I'm graduating from college the same year and prefer to look forward than back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education