Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 62,553 times

Advertisements

Im looking at going into the arts in the future and Im in grade 10 now. I really dislike school and feel I don't really learn anything when Im there... My marks are ****. How judgemental are arts schools in terms of acceptance? I figure if i can get like a 70 average (BTW Im in Canada) I can get into an arts program. My parents are on me about what Im gonna do in the future I know they just want to help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I can only answer from my life and my experience. High school grades did not matter in my life. Somehow, I managed to attend 2 very good colleges, graduate, get two additional degrees, and maintain full time employment. Good luck.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
They're important for college or graduate school admissions, but not much beyond that. It's unusual for an employer to ask for a high school transcript.

Regarding art school, it depends on the type of school. If it's a pure art school with little or no academic requirements, they will look at your portfolio. However, if you go to a college, even if it's for an art degree, you still have to pass a basic entrance requirements.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:26 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,456 times
I would contact a few art schools and find out their admission policies. It may be that they just want samples of your work but they prob also want some basic math/writing skills.

If art school becomes competitive and it is down to 2 choices--you and someone with better grades they will likely pick the better grades because they show that the other student is more into school/following thru with assignments and working harder.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:27 PM

Thanks everyone, Im not too stupid so Im not really worried about the future anymore!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,797 times
You will have to unlearn everything tat high school is teaching you. (ie Shakespheare is a play, it is to be acted or watched, not read )

Old 10-11-2010, 02:49 PM

I really wish I could just drop out and get my GED but I don't think my parents would be on board.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:27 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I would say it's incredibly important.

I didn't have an extra $180,000 laying around to pay for my college. My excellent grades in high school got me that much in scholarship money that allowed me to study abroad in 3 different countries and graduate debt free, not to mention get a decent first job that will pay for further education, gives health care, and gives me about 30 days off a year between vacation/paid holiday/personal days plus 12 sick days a year.

I do not know how much academics play into scholarships for art school, but it's certainly something to consider.

If I hadn't done as well in high school, I would have been stuck going to a state school which was not well suited to my academic or personal interests. I would not have been able to study abroad or work unpaid internships to get work experience. I don't know where I would be with a job, but most likely would have been 5 months post-grad, working retail or a no-benefits job, and staring a mountain of loans in the face.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:06 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Boy View Post
Im looking at going into the arts in the future and Im in grade 10 now. I really dislike school and feel I don't really learn anything when Im there... My marks are ****. How judgemental are arts schools in terms of acceptance? I figure if i can get like a 70 average (BTW Im in Canada) I can get into an arts program. My parents are on me about what Im gonna do in the future I know they just want to help
I don't think the grades themselves are necessarily that important, but it IS important to at least learn to TRY in school; can you figure out how to keep yourself interested? Figure out how to take something of use from the classes you don't like and apply them to your life as an artist (or just as a person?)? Art doesn't exist in a vacuum, and while I might be reading your question wrong, it sounds like you're just hoping to blow off all non-related subjects as irrelevant. Again, I wouldn't stress out too much if you don't ace every single subject or class, but you really should take a look at why exactly you feel like you're not learning anything and what you can do to change that. A life of not being open to new experiences, or being able to draw something of interest from even the potentially monotonous, is going to be pretty boring, and will close some artistic doors. (on the opposite extreme, some kids are too busy going for the top grades that they, too, forget to actually learn anything from the classes. Grades aren't everything, but the ability or willingness to be curious about the world and how it works IS important, regardless of whether or not it translates into good grades.)

Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
Can you afford college? If not, then grades are incredibly important for scholarships. Sure, the GED seems like an easy way out, but hang in there, do your best and find a great teacher who can help you through the process. To get into the top Art Schools (which you really want to get into) you need to have a great portfolio and proof of achievement. If you aren't doing too great in school now, do everything you can to shine during those last two years. Schools and Scholarships love to see significant improvement like that. Make sure you get involved in extracurricular activities that deal with Art or what you want to do to improve your appeal to schools. Sure, some schools suck out there and there aren't always great teachers but you are the key to whether you will be successful in the future or not. Once you graduate from college, your High School Diploma is just a rite of passage...no employer cares what you do in High School unless that is all you have completed.

Hang in there...and focus on doing the best ever for your last two years. Find tutoring if you need to, but don't lose focus. Art is very competitive and you need to be a star to succeed in the field. If you have the drive, you will be a huge success. Classes may be boring sometimes, but college is more fun because you get to take a lot more classes that are of interest to you. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education