Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
What kind of ****ing world are we living in which children are being treated like damn prisoners? Who gives one iota of a **** if a few kids use bathroom breaks to skip class? You do not punish everyone else for it. I typically refer to primary education as being a glorified daycare, but it is sounding more and more like a glorified prison.
The problem is it disrupts everyone's education when one hand goes up and the question is "Can I go to the bathroom". It is NOT unreasonable to expect students to plan ahead and use the bathroom during breaks.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl View Post
I have a child with IBD-an actual medical problem.When she is flaring she has to go -sometimes immediately. We have a 504 plan in place and doctors notes to accomadate her and I email each teacher every year just to remind them.

I would say 90% abide by the 504 plan but we always have 1 or 2 a year that tell my child no. When shes feeling well she will go months without having to use the bathroom so it is not an abuse thing.

I have told my child if they say no and she cant hold it to just leave. I will deal with them later. She worries about doing that. Like she needs something else to worry about! As it is my child is shy and embarassed about her condition. This will always be a struggle for her and is so horrible. I hope teachers posting on here are not talking about kids with medical problems and that they take it seriously.

Just wondering what any teachers on here's opinions are ?
I had a student, last year, with a medical issue that necessitated her going when she had to go, period, however, we knew about it so it wasn't an issue. She was instructed to take another student with her and go without disrupting the class. It's easy to accomodate a particular student in this area.

If I were not legally responsible for knowing where my students are at all times, I would tell them all, just get up, quietly and go. Unfortunately, I can't. I have to stop class, write a pass, note the time they left and then note the time they return. Basically, 29 other students wait until I take care of one wanting to use the bathroom during class.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem is it disrupts everyone's education when one hand goes up and the question is "Can I go to the bathroom". It is NOT unreasonable to expect students to plan ahead and use the bathroom during breaks.
It is entirely unreasonable. They should not even have to ask you if they can use the bathroom. And if they choose to use that time to skip class, so be it. The point of having grades is to measure a student's participation and learning of a subject. If they **** up, then they **** up and they reap what they sow.

This prison style education system really irks the hell out of me. All of these rules and measures being instituted are not helping at all. The education system is no better off with this crap than it was before it. And in my not so humble opinion, it is worse for it.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,452 times
Quote:
If I were not legally responsible for knowing where my students are at all times, I would tell them all, just get up, quietly and go. Unfortunately, I can't. I have to stop class, write a pass, note the time they left and then note the time they return. Basically, 29 other students wait until I take care of one wanting to use the bathroom during class.

That is just ludicrous. No wonder the education system is in shambles. It is being completely consumed by asinine regulations and backwards thinking.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:32 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
It is entirely unreasonable. They should not even have to ask you if they can use the bathroom. And if they choose to use that time to skip class, so be it. The point of having grades is to measure a student's participation and learning of a subject. If they **** up, then they **** up and they reap what they sow.

This prison style education system really irks the hell out of me. All of these rules and measures being instituted are not helping at all. The education system is no better off with this crap than it was before it. And in my not so humble opinion, it is worse for it.
The problem is a pesky little legal ruling called in loco parentis, which means that the courts have ruled that the school is legally responsible, in the place of the parents, from the time the child leaves home going to school until he arrives home after school. As a result, every teacher is liable for anything that happens to a child during that teacher's class time. That is the number one reason that teacher in my state belong to a union, as we have no real union representation here and no collective bargaining rights at all. The only reason that I'm a member is the liability insurance.

I agree with you that they students should have more autonomy and thus deal with reaping what they have sown, but the courts have decided otherwise.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That is just ludicrous. No wonder the education system is in shambles. It is being completely consumed by asinine regulations and backwards thinking.
You're right, it's entirely unreasonable to disrupt class for 29 others students just to deal with one who couldn't manage to go during the break.

Do you, seriously, consider it backwards thinking that teachers are responsible for knowing where their students are at all times? I'm not sure I'd call that backwards but I do wish there was a point where the school wasn't liable for anything that happens but we are. From the time school starts until it ends, we are accountable for whatever happens to our students so we have to monitor their coming and going.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
You're right, it's entirely unreasonable to disrupt class for 29 others students just to deal with one who couldn't manage to go during the break.

Do you, seriously, consider it backwards thinking that teachers are responsible for knowing where their students are at all times? I'm not sure I'd call that backwards but I do wish there was a point where the school wasn't liable for anything that happens but we are. From the time school starts until it ends, we are accountable for whatever happens to our students so we have to monitor their coming and going.
Some high schools are looser than others. I went to one school (a 7-12 school) that allowed students off campus from 9th grade forward. There were also free periods and there was nothing to keep students from going anywhere on campus, or even off campus.

My parents thought this arrangement was too loose, so they sent me to a stricter school for grades 9-12. In this school, for grades 9-11, there was always some classroom we had to be in during the day, so there were no free periods. But in 12th grade, we had free periods and were allowed to leave campus during those periods. We were punished if we missed classes, but we weren't on lockdown or anything like that. No school I went to ever had security.

I know schools are responsible for the physical attendance of younger students, but does it lessen as the kids get older? I know of high schools now that allow kids to leave campus during the day.

I do believe that kids shouldn't generally be roaming the halls at will in high school. They're there to learn, and they should be in class learning. It's a waste of taxpayers' money to have them hanging out in the hallways, and schools that have a lot of kids hanging out in the hallways tend to be the worst schools (and often the most dangerous). I think people who fail to recognize that are a bit disconnected from reality.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Some high schools are looser than others. I went to one school (a 7-12 school) that allowed students off campus from 9th grade forward. There were also free periods and there was nothing to keep students from going anywhere on campus, or even off campus.

My parents thought this arrangement was too loose, so they sent me to a stricter school for grades 9-12. In this school, for grades 9-11, there was always some classroom we had to be in during the day, so there were no free periods. But in 12th grade, we had free periods and were allowed to leave campus during those periods. We were punished if we missed classes, but we weren't on lockdown or anything like that. No school I went to ever had security.

I know schools are responsible for the physical attendance of younger students, but does it lessen as the kids get older? I know of high schools now that allow kids to leave campus during the day.
Personally, I think it should but there is the problem of students finding trouble if not supervised. We're, usually, pretty liberal about allowing students to leave the room (as disruptive as it is) but during the seniors last week, we were told to keep all students in our rooms to avoid vandalism.

I would love to see an open door policy where students can, simply, leave if they need to use the rest room or leave when they are done with an assignment or a test. However, I question the ability of high school students to determine whether or not they need to go to class. I've had students who are habitual bathroom pass requesters accuse me of not teaching material the rest of the class seemed to know. I've had parents complain that their child was never taught the material when I suspect their child was just out of class for that part of the lecture.

I'd love to see more sink or swim in high school as I think kids should be prepared to sink or swim when they get to college. I think we coddle them too much in high school and I think they pay for that in college.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

I do believe that kids shouldn't generally be roaming the halls at will in high school. They're there to learn, and they should be in class learning. It's a waste of taxpayers' money to have them hanging out in the hallways, and schools that have a lot of kids hanging out in the hallways tend to be the worst schools (and often the most dangerous). I think people who fail to recognize that are a bit disconnected from reality.
I've always wondered how it works in schools where students are allowed free periods. We've always had it drilled into us that we are responsible for whatever a student does during the time that he/she is scheduled for our class. It's difficult enough to keep track of them without free periods. Do the students not go for a quickie in a relatively unsupervised area? We've had them in the restrooms, in the locker room, and once even outside up against the back wall of the gym! At another school, a girl was leaving campus to go /ahem/ work in an apartment across the street.

Even with three security guards, our students find ways to get into trouble. I can't imagine what it would be like with more freedom.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Personally, I think it should but there is the problem of students finding trouble if not supervised. We're, usually, pretty liberal about allowing students to leave the room (as disruptive as it is) but during the seniors last week, we were told to keep all students in our rooms to avoid vandalism.

I would love to see an open door policy where students can, simply, leave if they need to use the rest room or leave when they are done with an assignment or a test. However, I question the ability of high school students to determine whether or not they need to go to class. I've had students who are habitual bathroom pass requesters accuse me of not teaching material the rest of the class seemed to know. I've had parents complain that their child was never taught the material when I suspect their child was just out of class for that part of the lecture.

I'd love to see more sink or swim in high school as I think kids should be prepared to sink or swim when they get to college. I think we coddle them too much in high school and I think they pay for that in college.
Well, we seem to hold everybody responsible for the academic progress of students except for the students themselves. And parents today are generally awful when it comes to taking responsibility for their kids' behavior and actions.

If I had a run-in with a teacher for whatever reason, my parents were not sympathetic. I always lied to them about why I got home from school so late on days when I had detention. You can bet that if they had known, they wouldn't have been up at the school complaining that I had been punished; they'd have punished me more themselves. And they held me responsible for knowing what was taught in class. Parents today also don't seem to realize that kids lie. These cultural changes are a big part of why our education system is less than it should be, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education