Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You would have to ask his teacher that. The point is that parents are so uninvolved in their children's schooling, they couldn't be bothered to have the kids write something simple down for extra points.
Something like that does not always reflect uninvolved parents. My children have been taught to take responsibility for their own homework. It's not my homework. I have 2 bachelors degrees and a masters degree and my parents never did my homework for me.

I peek at my kids grades. I ask them what they are doing in school and what they are learning. I will proofread papers, offer an opinion on a project, buy supplies, help with manual details (like gluing or cutting), drill them for tests if asked, etc. But I don't do homework. I know there is a big AP Chemistry test tomorrow. But I didn't study for it because it's not my test.

If my kids can't do their homework I assess what the problem is and take appropriate action. But I still don't do their work for them. And that would include writing down the score of a baseball game. But that doesn't make me an uninvolved parent.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I would never denegrate a program as a whole or a child as an individual to make some stupid point on a forum!
I don't think anyone is denigrating an entire program.

I don't think you need to resort to calling someone's point stupid. Refute it.

I am just trying to point out to you that the excessive workload your daughter is carrying has its downside. That downside is that she can't do anything else.

Moderator-I believe this does relate to the topic of this thread (excessive homework).

Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Move on to what? If you are irritated you can just stop posting.
To the topic of the post! I am exasperated not irritated ! Done and Done! Night!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
As a parent I wouldn't go out of my way to remind my kid to write down the score of a sports game. That doesn't make me an uncaring or uninvolved parent. I think older kids are certainly capable of handling their own homework. And for any age, the idea of bonus points for something like that is, frankly, stupid. I suppose the idea is to see if kids are paying attention (perhaps?) but it's pointless, not at all related to the subject, and devalues actual grades. I think I'd be tempted not to write it down as a form of protest against the inanity of the whole thing. (or be sorely tempted to write that I didn't have the time to watch the baseball game because I was DOING HOMEWORK, although admittedly I never would have had the nerve to do something smart-alecky like that). Still, I do think that if homework is assigned it should be actually meaningful, and all involved (parents, students, teachers) ideally all believe it to be worthwhile and thoughtful, not just assigned as a form of homework for homework's sake.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
If you ask me, most American grade and high schools are way too easy and lack discipline. And grown-ups on internet forums belly-aching about homework and getting all Rush Limbaugh on the concept of schools expecting at least some form of achievement from students sure doesn't help.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:27 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As a parent I wouldn't go out of my way to remind my kid to write down the score of a sports game. That doesn't make me an uncaring or uninvolved parent. I think older kids are certainly capable of handling their own homework. And for any age, the idea of bonus points for something like that is, frankly, stupid. I suppose the idea is to see if kids are paying attention (perhaps?) but it's pointless, not at all related to the subject, and devalues actual grades. I think I'd be tempted not to write it down as a form of protest against the inanity of the whole thing. (or be sorely tempted to write that I didn't have the time to watch the baseball game because I was DOING HOMEWORK, although admittedly I never would have had the nerve to do something smart-alecky like that). Still, I do think that if homework is assigned it should be actually meaningful, and all involved (parents, students, teachers) ideally all believe it to be worthwhile and thoughtful, not just assigned as a form of homework for homework's sake.
Yep. When I was in high school I just didn't do the ridiculous things that were assigned bonus points or extra credit if they had no relevance to the subject matter. First of all, I got A's without the extra credit. Second of all, I have a fundamental problem with extra credit. Third of all, if there is going to be extra credit given, it should be related to the subject at hand.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Something like that does not always reflect uninvolved parents. My children have been taught to take responsibility for their own homework. It's not my homework. I have 2 bachelors degrees and a masters degree and my parents never did my homework for me.

I peek at my kids grades. I ask them what they are doing in school and what they are learning. I will proofread papers, offer an opinion on a project, buy supplies, help with manual details (like gluing or cutting), drill them for tests if asked, etc. But I don't do homework. I know there is a big AP Chemistry test tomorrow. But I didn't study for it because it's not my test.

If my kids can't do their homework I assess what the problem is and take appropriate action. But I still don't do their work for them. And that would include writing down the score of a baseball game. But that doesn't make me an uninvolved parent.
I don't do my son's homework either. However, I do check to see what he has to do and I do compel him to do it.

I would help my son study for a test. I don't see what is wrong with that. It's not the same thing as doing his homework for him.

My son wrote down the score himself after I showed him how to look it up. That is my definition of involved parenting.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It doesn't devalue homework and participation grades. It was an exercise to get the kids to pay attention because so many of them do not do their homework. It's a really sad state affairs.

You didn't have to watch the game. Take 2 seconds to look online or in your paper for the score.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I don't do my son's homework either. However, I do check to see what he has to do and I do compel him to do it.

I would help my son study for a test. I don't see what is wrong with that. It's not the same thing as doing his homework for him.

My son wrote down the score himself after I showed him how to look it up. That is my definition of involved parenting.
IMO one of the greatest gifts a parent can give a child is the confidence to be able to do things himself and to learn to ask for help if needed. That's my definition of involved parenting.

If my son asked me to help him study for a test I would help. But if he doesn't think he needs my help I don't impose it upon him. He knows if he needs my help.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
It doesn't devalue homework and participation grades. It was an exercise to get the kids to pay attention because so many of them do not do their homework. It's a really sad state affairs.

You didn't have to watch the game. Take 2 seconds to look online or in your paper for the score.
What is the educational value in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education