Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times

Advertisements

It is not only "who you know" but as a wise person once told me it is also "Who knows you and what you are able to do"
He was a highly respected executive high up the "food chain" at the company I worked for. When I first met him he was just one of the folks who hung out during breaks.
As you all know most break times you talk about work and projects you are working on this person would just sit and listen. A highly coveted position on one of the best teams opened up. I applied as did others imagine my surprise when I went in for the interview and was told that I had a very high recommendation for the position. When I asked who had given me the recommendation it turned out to be my break buddy.
When I saw him on break later that day after thanking him for the recommendation I ask with a chuckle "So what do you actually do here" (shy I am not) imagine my surprise when I found out how high up the chain he was. His exact comment was "After listening to your work ethics and how much you love what you do and your ideas I though you would be perfect for the job, so I made a phone call to the hiring manager"
Thats when he told me how important the "Who knows you" can be.
So talk about what you do and your accomplishments the person you maybe be talking to may not be hiring but they may know someone who does.
Sending good wishes for all of you in the job market.
karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,806 times
It's who you know...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times
Its who you know hands down that gets you in the door..PERIOD. What you know can be determined by the "who you know guy/gal".

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

67 posts, read 228,696 times
It's who knows you. A person who has a passion for teaching, will find that that passion precedes them to the human resources department. Why? because that individual will have done more than just go to college. Administration looks at active volunteer or work related experiences in programs involving education. Example, girls club, neighborhood after school programs, educational programs at churches, private tutoring sessions, inservices, workshops.

We hired a young teacher four years ago who was average on her transcript, we didn't know her, but after verifying her resume' we found that the superintendent in the system wanted to hire her before she graduated college. Her church, the mayor of that town, boys club director, all had positive things to say about her.

She had a few A(s) Quite a few B(s) and just as many C(s) on her transcript. Somebody that I would not have hired. She was hired in a failing school locally. The school made AYP this year for the first time. She's been there two years. Now everybody around here know her too. She formed a 501-3c through a local community center to help at-risk kids.

I am retired but I volunteer in her program and I get tired just looking at her.

This is an interesting thread and I have enjoyed your comments and all of the advise given.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
It is both. If you can "network" and get a good reputation, you can really make it.

I was well networked in the school district I came from and have several standing, "If you come back, I can have a job for you" offers.

Now I am "starting over" and I hate it, but I have a job for next year (not my first choice), and will get in and network again.

Dawn

Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinethehowlingdemocrat View Post
It's who knows you. A person who has a passion for teaching, will find that that passion precedes them to the human resources department. Why? because that individual will have done more than just go to college. Administration looks at active volunteer or work related experiences in programs involving education. Example, girls club, neighborhood after school programs, educational programs at churches, private tutoring sessions, inservices, workshops.

We hired a young teacher four years ago who was average on her transcript, we didn't know her, but after verifying her resume' we found that the superintendent in the system wanted to hire her before she graduated college. Her church, the mayor of that town, boys club director, all had positive things to say about her.

She had a few A(s) Quite a few B(s) and just as many C(s) on her transcript. Somebody that I would not have hired. She was hired in a failing school locally. The school made AYP this year for the first time. She's been there two years. Now everybody around here know her too. She formed a 501-3c through a local community center to help at-risk kids.

I am retired but I volunteer in her program and I get tired just looking at her.

This is an interesting thread and I have enjoyed your comments and all of the advise given.

Thanks for your comments. I totally agree with what you're saying. You can have a 4.0 GPA when you're done college, but what matters most is how effective and inspiring you'll be in the classroom.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:03 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
See my post over on the master's degree thread (started by Hoosier)... to summarize briefly, no it doesn't always help to have connections!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,393 times
It's who you know, regardless of the job.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 07-25-2007 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

64 posts, read 289,036 times
Default Soooo True!

I graduated in 2005 with an associates degree in early childhood education, and a bachelor's in elem. edu. with a minor in fine art and psychology. I CAN NOT find a job anywhere and have been forced to look at jobs that don't need a degree.

Oh yes, it is who you know! Also, the part where you read the older get hired... NOT TRUE. The younger and pretty get hired, along with males. My friend and I did research on this and actually talked to a principal. He told my friend that he always hires the youngest and prettiest. He also told her that he knows of many principals that do this. Unless, you are in special needs, math, or science, you can almost forget it. My friend has subbed for 6 years and still hasn't got a break.

I went for an interview at a school and I was so mad that they hired someone that I graduated with. I could teach circles around her but she got hired because she is 23, 5" 7" and very so like Ms. Happy. I am 39 and 4" 11" and come with to the table not as Ms. Happy but as Ms. I Can Offer You the Best.

Unless you can move to a state that have a deep need for teachers, you can almost forget it unless you can teach middle, high school, or special needs. Where are all of these teachers that are suppose to be retiring? I've heard that for 11 years now.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:29 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
It's who you know, regardless of the job.
As I said earlier, I disagree with that... I was hired for a job right out of grad school, and was chosen over people who'd been in the system (library) for years. I didn't know one single person there, but they chose me for my qualifications & passion for the field - at least that's what my boss said later! Hopefully that's how most employers hire, or they're probably not someone you want to work for anyway. Fyi, I'm not saying it's easy to get a job regardless, but connections certainly aren't the only way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education