Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

I think you are in a very difficult area of the country to find a job from what I am hearing!

We moved across the country 2 years ago and I haven't worked here yet but will start in the fall. I worked in my last district for 16 years and was well networked. Here, I am NOT and it has presented a problem. I went to one interview and in the interview was the principal and the three counselors, all under the age of 30, blonde and "peppy". I immediately felt uncomfortable and the counselors gave me the impression they didn't want a "by the book" type of person at all. Needless to say, I did not get that job. I didn't want that job and came home and agonized over, "if I get offered should I even take it just to get my foot in the door?" Thankfully that decision was made for me. I have no idea, but I assume the person that got it was very young and new.

Can you move? Or are you needing to stay where you are? I have heard that IN and MI are tough to break in to. OH may need teachers if you want to stay in the mid-west. NC, SC, FL and GA all need teachers in the major cities.

Hang in there.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfw View Post
I graduated in 2005 with an associates degree in early childhood education, and a bachelor's in elem. edu. with a minor in fine art and psychology. I CAN NOT find a job anywhere and have been forced to look at jobs that don't need a degree.

Oh yes, it is who you know! Also, the part where you read the older get hired... NOT TRUE. The younger and pretty get hired, along with males. My friend and I did research on this and actually talked to a principal. He told my friend that he always hires the youngest and prettiest. He also told her that he knows of many principals that do this. Unless, you are in special needs, math, or science, you can almost forget it. My friend has subbed for 6 years and still hasn't got a break.

I went for an interview at a school and I was so mad that they hired someone that I graduated with. I could teach circles around her but she got hired because she is 23, 5" 7" and very so like Ms. Happy. I am 39 and 4" 11" and come with to the table not as Ms. Happy but as Ms. I Can Offer You the Best.

Unless you can move to a state that have a deep need for teachers, you can almost forget it unless you can teach middle, high school, or special needs. Where are all of these teachers that are suppose to be retiring? I've heard that for 11 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education