Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While you cite problems with our current online system; most of these problems could be remedied with better software. The key is to get the student’s attention and to maybe lock them out of other sites. These are problems - but they should not be insurmountable.

As I said before; it doesn’t have to work for everybody. The idea is to free up classroom chairs. We are all individuals and some of us are better in different areas of study.
Plato didn't have any software to capture his interest in learning. Socrates drew quite a crowd. The problem with on-line education is that it is only part of the education process. Human interaction, inquiry, and working together are crucial components in the learning process and essential skills in the workplace.

The on-line/texting generation often lack these critical skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Plato didn't have any software to capture his interest in learning. Socrates drew quite a crowd. The problem with on-line education is that it is only part of the education process. Human interaction, inquiry, and working together are crucial components in the learning process and essential skills in the workplace.

Going back to may original post; I never said all or nothing. I did propose a merge between the systems. I think the problem that we are discussing is how much is too much? If our kids can achieve their goals, with online courses; why should we hold them back? There will be improvements in the software - that is what technology does (or should do).

What were the school taxes back in Plato and Socrates days? I just have a feeling that learning was more affordable.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Going back to may original post; I never said all or nothing. I did propose a merge between the systems. I think the problem that we are discussing is how much is too much? If our kids can achieve their goals, with online courses; why should we hold them back? There will be improvements in the software - that is what technology does (or should do).

What were the school taxes back in Plato and Socrates days? I just have a feeling that learning was more affordable.
I don't believe so. If memory serves me correctly, only the rich got an education back in Plato's day.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't believe so. If memory serves me correctly, only the rich got an education back in Plato's day.
Well, then, the Greek educational bill was more affordable - for those that were not getting educated. They only had to worry about servitude.

Look at what happens to our seniors today - they don’t receive the service of public school; but they still pay the taxes. Of course you can still claim that seniors had children and thus their children had children. On the other hand; we do have some seniors that never had children - but still pay to support education.

Here is a link to our current federal government projections on how much educational spending will increase in the next five years: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/downchart_gs.php?chart=20-total&view=1&year=2001_2021&state=US&local=b

That projection shows approximately a 20% increase. I would love to see one projection, in the private sector - that shows that kind of increase in wages over the next five years. That get’s back to the reality that the money is not there and we have to think creatively.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post

True. Back in the late 80's we debated this topic during an education class. At the time, only business and engineering students were required to have personal computers (the rest of us used typewriters) - so we're talking back in the dark ages, LOL.

The conclusion that we reached even back then - computers will become an important instructional tool used by every teacher and every student, in every classroom. But they will never replace the human interaction between teachers and their students.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Well, then, the Greek educational bill was more affordable - for those that were not getting educated. They only had to worry about servitude.

Look at what happens to our seniors today - they don’t receive the service of public school; but they still pay the taxes. Of course you can still claim that seniors had children and thus their children had children. On the other hand; we do have some seniors that never had children - but still pay to support education.

Here is a link to our current federal government projections on how much educational spending will increase in the next five years: http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/downchart_gs.php?chart=20-total&view=1&year=2001_2021&state=US&local=b

That projection shows approximately a 20% increase. I would love to see one projection, in the private sector - that shows that kind of increase in wages over the next five years. That get’s back to the reality that the money is not there and we have to think creatively.
The point is not to pay for our own kids but to gain the benefits of living in an educated society. Education leads to lower crime rates, for one.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The point is not to pay for our own kids but to gain the benefits of living in an educated society. Education leads to lower crime rates, for one.

If traditional education is doing such a great job; why do we have rioting such as this: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/126828998.html - or like they had in London recently? You cannot say there is no room for improvement.

If it takes an educational, online, video game or computer program to grab the attention of our young; why not? As long as they learn and there are teachers to assist them; how can we loose?

Not all teachers inspire our young. The advantage of our computer programs is that we can constantly refine the programs and perfect the teaching methods - if one doesn’t work; we can try another one.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
If traditional education is doing such a great job; why do we have rioting such as this: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/126828998.html - or like they had in London recently? You cannot say there is no room for improvement.

If it takes an educational, online, video game or computer program to grab the attention of our young; why not? As long as they learn and there are teachers to assist them; how can we loose?

Not all teachers inspire our young. The advantage of our computer programs is that we can constantly refine the programs and perfect the teaching methods - if one doesn’t work; we can try another one.
Please note I did not claim education ELIMINATES crime. I said it reduces it. I would speculate that we'd have more riots if we took away free education for all.

The point, which you missed, is what we pay for is living in an educated society NOT our children's education.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Please note I did not claim education ELIMINATES crime. I said it reduces it. I would speculate that we'd have more riots if we took away free education for all.

The point, which you missed, is what we pay for is living in an educated society NOT our children's education.
The point that I am making is that we have problems. We have problems financing the whole system. Then; we are not he world leader in education. If anything; it looks more like it is a downhill spiral. We have heard from Bill Gates and other corporate leaders that claim they cannot get qualified employees. So; what are we going to do?

You do not throw money at a system that has problems. You fix the system and move on. You learn how to be lean and mean.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:12 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Lightbulb When are we going to be courageous enough to take the next step?

Perhaps this is the "next step"...

Moving beyond 'blame the teacher' - latimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education