Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 AM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Was that KIng George's intent? I didn't read where NCLB mandated LOWERING the bar. It stated ALL children should be expected to learn

Society and the schools decided lowering the bar was the way to achieve the goal of all children learning.
I belive NCLB is a great tool--it is just the way we have chosen to interpret the documant that is killing our students.

The problem is this: Given any skill -- math, reading, running, art, sculpture, video games -- there will be a bubble of kids right in the middle of ability and then a few outliers to either side. In short, you will have the classic bell curve.

If you want ALL children to pass X skill at X age (e.g., read text at a given difficulty level by age 6), then automatically, you will have to lower the bar for precisely 50% of the kids -- the 50% who are, statistically speaking, below average. You'll have to lower it a little for the kids who are below-but-clustered-near-the-middle and a lot for the kids who are on the far left-hand side of that bell curve.

Once the reality of implementing NCLB was instituted, "dumbing down" was the only logical direction in which school districts could go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,517,815 times
The only answer for education is to have a fork in the road at some point in the child's education career. At 10 years of age the serious, high achieving students should be separated and sent into accelerated programs of higher math and sciences and engineering. The rest should go for more vocational related education, especially interpersonal communication and basic math and language skills. It doesn't mean that late bloomers can't still excel and go to college but it would be a much smarter way to spend our education dollar.

Get politics out of education.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 12-19-2011 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The only answer for education is to have a fork in the road at some point in the child's education career. At 10 years of age the serious, high achieving students should be separated and sent into accelerated programs of higher math and sciences and engineering. The rest should go for more vocational related education, especially interpersonal communication and basic math and language skills. It doesn't mean that late bloomers can't still excel and go to college but it would be a much smarter way to spend our education dollar.

Get politics out of education.
If onlt those idiots in office thought this way...

Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
The problem is this: Given any skill -- math, reading, running, art, sculpture, video games -- there will be a bubble of kids right in the middle of ability and then a few outliers to either side. In short, you will have the classic bell curve.

If you want ALL children to pass X skill at X age (e.g., read text at a given difficulty level by age 6), then automatically, you will have to lower the bar for precisely 50% of the kids -- the 50% who are, statistically speaking, below average. You'll have to lower it a little for the kids who are below-but-clustered-near-the-middle and a lot for the kids who are on the far left-hand side of that bell curve.

Once the reality of implementing NCLB was instituted, "dumbing down" was the only logical direction in which school districts could go.
Guess I am the minority to the right of the curve who reject this direction as logical. Then again, I also reject the notion that the Bell Curve has to be the applied norm and used as a fixed pattern..

Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Guess I am the minority to the right of the curve who reject this direction as logical. Then again, I also reject the notion that the Bell Curve has to be the applied norm and used as a fixed pattern..
Well with NCLB mandating 100% pass by 2014 it's pretty hard not to lower the bar so they all pass. Although I'm very skeptical that 100% can be achieved even if you lay that bar right on the ground.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well with NCLB mandating 100% pass by 2014 it's pretty hard not to lower the bar so they all pass. Although I'm very skeptical that 100% can be achieved even if you lay that bar right on the ground.

I seriously fail to see how my students with <70 FSIQ will ever pass any standardized test. 90% of them cannot write more than 4 words across a loose-leaf paper because they have no spatial awareness. My kids are taking the same EOC everyone else takes for English, math and biology.
To ever imagine ALL students will pass is moronic, to say the least.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I seriously fail to see how my students with <70 FSIQ will ever pass any standardized test. 90% of them cannot write more than 4 words across a loose-leaf paper because they have no spatial awareness. My kids are taking the same EOC everyone else takes for English, math and biology.
To ever imagine ALL students will pass is moronic, to say the least.
I know. And poor kids -- they're being set up for failure in every sense of the word. How about measuring their success relative to what they themselves could do at the end of the previous academic year, particularly since they're obviously special-needs and shouldn't be measured with the same yardstick used to measure more neurotypical students?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, believe me, I don't think it's ethical. Inevitable given the setup, yes, but ethical? Moral? Practical?

No.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
I know. And poor kids -- they're being set up for failure in every sense of the word. How about measuring their success relative to what they themselves could do at the end of the previous academic year, particularly since they're obviously special-needs and shouldn't be measured with the same yardstick used to measure more neurotypical students?
Even for the kids that are capable of passing the test, you still aren't measuring progress, you are measuring how this year's class did compared to last year's class. Any class that does worse then the class before them is considered failing, even if it is just a percentage point different. I've given this example before, 2 schools in our state, one had 98% passing one year, 97% passing the next year, the other had 43% passing one year, 44% the next year, guess which one is on "the list" as a bad school.....just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education