Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times

Advertisements

Seems Tucson is trying to justify the banning and dismantling of the Multi-cultural studeis program. THe excerpt below is from the

AICL sharing of the Progressive Libriarian's Guild: Statement on Censorship and the Tucson Unified School District

So Tucson claims the multi cultural program promoted the over throw of the country, created resentment amongst the races and cultures, meant for ONE ethnic group and advocated ETHNIC SOLIDARITY?

To read MORE go to AICL

Recent media reports regarding the mass removal of books from classrooms in the Tucson Unified School District (TUSD) demand a response from librarians, charged by our professional ethics to oppose censorship and restriction on information.

After reviewing publicly available materials documenting the process leading up to this TUSD action, the Progressive Librarians Guild believes a challenge should be issued regarding not only the onerous situation, but the politics underlying the decision to cut District’s Mexican American Studies program (MAS) program.

At issue is the supposed violation by TUSD of Arizona state law prohibiting classes in public or charter schools from instructions that:

1. Promote the overthrow of the United States Government
2. Promote resentment toward a race or class of people
3. Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.
4. Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
How about banning fuzzy math books, "new" english, social engineering type books, etc.

Funny how they never ban the bad books for kids. They always seem to ban the classics because they might "offend" somebody. How about banning books that offend your mind, and make subjects harder than they are.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
How about banning fuzzy math books, "new" english, social engineering type books, etc.

Funny how they never ban the bad books for kids. They always seem to ban the classics because they might "offend" somebody. How about banning books that offend your mind, and make subjects harder than they are.
True. There are a few books that have no business being in the classroom and should be banned. Such as Go Ask Alice. I saw it on Amazon a few days ago and remembered in amazement how there were several copies available to read in my 5th grade classroom a long time ago. I read it of course but looking back, it was truly an inappropriate book to have for elementary school students.

I don't know why their trying to ban Shakespeare. It's not like any of them could read it anyway.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Default Tuscon schools cannot spin doctor this

Students walked out of their classs and headed to the school board. This after being told:

Last week, a recently hired assistant superintendent from Texas made
a troubing call for the deeply rooted Tucson students–many of whom trace their ancestors to the town founders– to “go to Mexico” to study their history.

READ MORE (http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2012/01/23/students-step-up-tucson-walkouts-protest-school-district-folly-and-mexican-american-studies-banishment/ - broken link)

Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
True. There are a few books that have no business being in the classroom and should be banned. Such as Go Ask Alice. I saw it on Amazon a few days ago and remembered in amazement how there were several copies available to read in my 5th grade classroom a long time ago. I read it of course but looking back, it was truly an inappropriate book to have for elementary school students.

I don't know why their trying to ban Shakespeare. It's not like any of them could read it anyway.
More irony. Kids can't even read the classics they are banning.

It's very shortsighted to ban these classics. The words and themes are more important than offending someone. Kids won't have any connection with what 19th century life was about. Losing a connection with the past is not good.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
There are public libraries to read on the subjects. May I suggest you introduce your kids to one.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
School reading lists are nothing today. We used to get reading lists for over the summer reading.
I don't recall how many books on the list one had to read..I love reading so I read them all

Half Price Books put out a list of 40 Classics you "should" have read in school.
I read 32 of them in my school years. Most of these books today would be considered racist in nature or discriminatory to some group.

Half Price Blog - * - 40 Classic Books You Should Have Read in*School

Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
I read 29 of them and started to read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad recently, but I find it terribly boring and I do NOT believe it is well written at all. I read Camus's The Stranger in French in my French class along with Stendahl's The Charterhouse of Parma which is not mentioned on this list. I've never read Les Miserables, but have the music and love that. Does that count?

Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems Arizona school boards are on a mission to eradicate a few books they have judges to be unworthy of the curriculum including SHAKESPEARE?

The Tucson Unified School District released the titles of its banned books on Friday, a lengthy list that removes every textbook dealing with Mexican-American history — and even Shakespeare.
The book ban is part of a curriculum change to avoid “biased, political and emotionally charged” teaching, CNN reported.

Read more: Ethnic book ban in Arizona school district includes all books about Mexican-American history, even Shakespeare

When will this idiocy end?

Learning SHOULD be passionate and emotionally charged!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Hey be glad they are not in Alabama. For children of immigrants, the schools have to look and see if the parents are legal when the kids are registering for school.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/us...pagewanted=all

The interesting thing is that the latino population in Alabama is around 4% so it just is not a big problem as it is in Arizona and Texas

Funny thing is I heard a radio story about this as I was in the car yesterday. It seems that the first person arrested during a traffic stop was a wealthy German executive of Mercedes Benz.

German Mercedes-Benz Executive Arrested Under Alabama's Immigration Law (Updated) | ThinkProgress

Quote:
Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson told The Associated Press an officer stopped a rental vehicle for not having a tag Wednesday night and asked the driver for his license. The man only had a German identification card, so he was arrested and taken to police headquarters, Anderson said.

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver’s license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education