Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times

Advertisements

When I was in the first or second grade (early 1950s), my teacher insisted that I eat the sauerkraut that came with my hot dog lunch. This, of course, was the days of the "Clean Plate Club." Since I was never a picky eater and always had a hot home cooked meal for supper at home, I do not know her motivation, unless she thought I should learn to eat something new.

This was despite the fact that the smell of the stuff made me queasy.

She, too, had to explain to my mother why I vomited at lunch.

The difference is that she was properly apologetic.

I took my lunch to school after that.

No child should be forced to eat or punished for not eating. If the child put too much food on his plate, he should be taught to take smaller portions. If an adult put too much food on the child's plate, s/he needs to be educated in appropriate portions for the child's age. Encouraging a child to eat past the point of fullness is asinine and an avenue to obesity.

If other kids are also not eating the food, someone needs to see whether the quality of the food is an issue. No matter how healthy it is, if it does not taste good, kids willl not eat.

The child should be allowed to ask for the condiments which s/he will actually use. (This is a pet peeve of mine. Ask for one packet of mustard for your turkey sandwich and you get a handful.)

Of course, if the child wants to skip the veggies and go straight to dessert, perhaps there should be no dessert.

The teacher was out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM

161 posts, read 239,907 times
I supervise breakfast duty at our school. While we have many students receiving free meals it irritates me to see kids waste food. I see some kids literally pick up their food tray wait for a friend to finish then dump it all, untouched. Once the kids takes a tray we can't re-serve any of the food. I usually let the student know it's not acceptable to not eat and throw food away and they can wait for their friend. Kids & parents just think it just 'free' food so throwing it away isn't a big deal. I would never force a student to eat their food I just don't tolerate them complaining that they are hungry later.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,278,410 times
I am astonished that any teacher felt secure enough to treat you that way in front of their principal.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,118 times
That comment from the teacher would blow the roof off my house. I can understand making sure a child eats a good meal or at least spends the needed time at the time even if they don't eat to make sure they are not just running to recess. From time to time I have to make my daughter sit at the table because there is something that she "doesn't like" that she hasn't even tasted. Happened the other day with some roasted potatoes. One bite later and, "yum, these are good".

At my school the kids have to take a full lunch if they are on free/reduced lunch. If they want an apple, oh well, they have to take a full lunch to get it. Usually friends will eat up the rest. But they can't just get what they want if they don't like what is being served.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
One other way for the school to help with this problem is to schedule recess before lunch rather than after lunch. Kids eat better that way *and* they are more ready to work after lunch usually as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
I find it pathetic that everyone today get's into so many people's business. Chill out, if a kid can't finish their meal let them be. Maybe they just don't like some of the food offered? It doesn't affect you if they don't finish their meal, so why do you let it bother you?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Yes, it was out of line for the adult to force a child to totally clean their tray. However, you would be absolutely shocked at how little some kids eat just so that they can rush outside for recess. Our lunchroom aides try to wait until most of the children are done eating before dismissing the table but it doesn't always work.

Some children only eat a bite or two of the main food and maybe the dessert and then they are "done". I've even seen children throwing away trays of food that look totally untouched. Since so many children complain about being hungry many classes have mid-afternoon snacks. My suggestion would be to eliminate the afternoon snack and that would encourage the children to eat more at lunch time (of course this depends on the school schedule).

Some children do eat all of most of their food or take the time to eat slowly.

Many schools encourage parents to occasionally join their children for lunch. Try it.

I wonder if there "is more to the story" or a reason behind the adult telling your child clean their plate. Had they been rushing outside everyday and then complaining of being hungry right after lunch recess. I know that teachers will sometimes request that the lunch room aides encourage certain students to eat more when that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
One other way for the school to help with this problem is to schedule recess before lunch rather than after lunch. Kids eat better that way *and* they are more ready to work after lunch usually as well.
That is a great idea and more schools should try it out.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
On a side note, I am a high school teacher and I noticed during my lunch duty, a student in my class was tossing a full tray of food away at lunch. He was buying two--eating one and tossing the other one in the trash. I watched this for several days before I called his parents. I explained what was happening and that it was his business if he wanted to throw food away. But I knew he was paying for his lunches--not on a free or reduced plan--mom thanked me and said she wondered why he was spending so much money every week for lunch.
She talked with him that night and told him if he was buying two lunches, he needed to eat them--otherwise just buy one.
From that day he just bought one lunch, or if he bought extra, he made sure to eat it (or take it home).
Point is I called home and let the parents deal with the situation. I am NOT a food Nazi.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Totally out of line. No teacher should be forcing any kid to eat in the cafeteria.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM

629 posts, read 771,595 times
Heres a histrionic punch in the face. Force my child to vomit again and I put a slug in your skull
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education