Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

It says that those particular teachers thought the boys were behaving badly. It doesn't speak to all women teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It says that those particular teachers thought the boys were behaving badly. It doesn't speak to all women teachers.
I said is that in schools the behavior of boys is often considered pathological. You disagreed. You asked for an example. I gave you one. Do you disagree that a teacher who puts every boy on red every day is treating the boys behavior as pathological?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I said is that in schools the behavior of boys is often considered pathological. You disagreed. You asked for an example. I gave you one. Do you disagree that a teacher who puts every boy on red every day is treating the boys behavior as pathological?
No, since I don't know what this green, yellow, red business is, and I don't know what constitutes "red" behavior.

I was looking for some examples of specific behaviors unique to boys that female teachers think is pathological.

Despite all this anecdotal evidence about boys getting the short shrift, there is research that shows just the opposite; that boys get more attention from teachers, both positive and negative, than girls do.

This is an interesting article, apparently written by a girl:
The Education of Boys and Girls

This is an older, but very significant study:
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/hssg.pdf

An article about women in "STEM" professions.
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/whysofew.pdf

Links to a number of studies about women and education.
Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics | AAUW

Interestingly, this all fits into a conversation I had yesterday at a barbecue. A female pharmacy intern, a female physical therapist and I, a female nurse were talking. The pharmacy intern said that at her job, the customers are less rude and angry to the staff if a man is around. The PT said that at her office, all the PTs are female, and there are some male PT techs. The patients tend to think the males are doctors, even those these techs don't have a bachelors degree, and the PTs have at least a master's and in some cases a doctorate. I related that at the pedicatric practice where I work, patients often think our female physician is a nurse practitioner.

So while boys may have to read "girly" books, it's still a man's world out there, in many respects.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
My boys are in 6th and 7th grade. Last week there was a ceremony for the National Honors society. It is a small school. But I was curious about how many boys made the list.

Out of 44 kids in 6th grade, not one boy made national honors. there were at least 10 girls.

Out of 42 kids in 7th grade, only 1 boy made national honors. Again, there were a few girls.

Out of about 40 kids in 8th grade, only 2 boys made the list. I dont know about the girls.

Now before anyone says ; I am just mad that my kids didnt make it, I am not. I am just wondering how and why so few boys made it and so many girls made it.

One son says that some teachers only ask the girls for answers and never call on the boys. Others only call on the girls that will give the correct answers.

My kids do well in school ; A,B and C's. We are about to move to a different district. But I was just wondering if we are shortchanging the boys and concentrating on the girls?

statistics show teachers are more likely to still call on boys in class in 2012 rather than girls. in fact every study i've ever read says to put boys in the middle of the class because they are more apt to respond and answer questions while girls are more apt to be content with sitting in the back of the room or off to the side.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM

example - when we play competitive review games prior to tests or exams i never have to ask my male students to participate. with my girls its like pulling teeth. my male students especially those in my honors classes are very academically competitive grade wise but probably even more to show you they learned something. my girls god bless em would much rather sit quietly, do their work and be done with it. now that could be due to the content (social studies) as males in my experience tend to enjoy SS where as girls see the subject as purely a necessity to graduate. in fact this year my honors world history classes were probably 60/40 male to female ratio.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, since I don't know what this green, yellow, red business is, and I don't know what constitutes "red" behavior.

I was looking for some examples of specific behaviors unique to boys that female teachers think is pathological.

Despite all this anecdotal evidence about boys getting the short shrift, there is research that shows just the opposite; that boys get more attention from teachers, both positive and negative, than girls do.

This is an interesting article, apparently written by a girl:
The Education of Boys and Girls

This is an older, but very significant study:
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/hssg.pdf

An article about women in "STEM" professions.
http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/whysofew.pdf

Links to a number of studies about women and education.
Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics | AAUW

Interestingly, this all fits into a conversation I had yesterday at a barbecue. A female pharmacy intern, a female physical therapist and I, a female nurse were talking. The pharmacy intern said that at her job, the customers are less rude and angry to the staff if a man is around. The PT said that at her office, all the PTs are female, and there are some male PT techs. The patients tend to think the males are doctors, even those these techs don't have a bachelors degree, and the PTs have at least a master's and in some cases a doctorate. I related that at the pedicatric practice where I work, patients often think our female physician is a nurse practitioner.

So while boys may have to read "girly" books, it's still a man's world out there, in many respects.

also in my experience female students tend to respond better to male teachers. at least in high school as i teach 10th and 11th graders. my dept has 12 teachers, 3 of them female and 2 of the 3 have constant problems with the way some of their female students respond to them. in fact last semester alone 3 female students were transferred out of their classes and into mine due to behavior and for the remaining majority of the semester i had no issues with any of them. is that because i'm some how a much better teacher (maybe in my dreams i like to think haha) but clearly it's due to gender differences.

one of my female co-workers once said if I (meaning me she said) raise my voice with my students its just me being a guy / male. if she raises her voice then students say she is being a "B^&*("

i had a female student teacher this semester and my female students especially in my honors class for some unknown reason were very "catty" with her (she was actually pretty attractive and the boys in the class adored her so maybe thats why haha) and almost went out of their way to make her job tougher than it already was. could not for the life of me figure it out.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

i had a female student teacher this semester and my female students especially in my honors class for some unknown reason were very "catty" with her (she was actually pretty attractive and the boys in the class adored her so maybe thats why haha) and almost went out of their way to make her job tougher than it already was. could not for the life of me figure it out.
I guarantee that's why.

When I student taught, I was only four years older than the seniors in my creative writing class. I had a pair of students who it became apparent were an item...football player and cheerleader, if memory serves. Boy was a charmer...okay student, but thought he could get by on his charisma when he didn't feel like giving an assignment his all. Girl was a much better student, honors-level. Because boy would always attempt to pour on the charm when he'd slack on an assignment, girl started getting openly catty and hostile with me, all eye-rolley and whispery in the back, and flouncing in and out of class. It was so stupid...they guy wasn't flirting out of adoration, he was just working it in an attempt to not be called out on his laziness. She waited tables in a pizza joint that was frequented by those of us who attended the college, and I remember a bunch of us going in one night, and she was super catty and snippy when waiting on us. Hell being a girl.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
I think it is this particular school/teacher. In talking to other parents and children yesterday, it seems that when this teacher gives a test, she lets the girls know some of the questions before hand. Also during the test, the girls will go up and ask her questions and she will give them the answers, whereas the boys wont bother. My son is in this class ; he gets A's and B's so I am not complaining as he does study and earns the grades. But he also says that some boys will have the same amount of questions correct as a girl and they will get a lower grade than the girl.
It jsut does not seem fair ; and we are all for equal rights arent we? We are leaving this school in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see the new school.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that what you are seeing in your school is the result of education being perceived as a "feminine" activity. After all, most teachers are women and boys in middle school do not want to be perceived as weak or girlie. Since doing well in school equates to doing well at a female dominated activity many boys do not want to be seen as excelling in that area. In short, many boys see doing well in school as emasculating.

I don't think anyone in schools is doing anything to purposely make boys perform poorly. Rather it is a by product of the feminization of schools. I think that the feminization of schools is a result of poor teacher pay and low social status for teachers.

Here is an intersting blog on the issue.

[URL="http://open.salon.com/blog/theron_mcinnis/2010/06/07/socialization_and_male_academic_performance"]Socialization and male academic performance - Theron McInnis - Open Salon[/URL]

Edited to add: At our school NHJS has many more girls than boys. In high school approximately 75% of NHS members at our school are boys.
I like what i see happening here... I am Theron McInnis. Thanks for quoting me... I am currently apart of a the GSFE and mineorama inc which is promoting STEM education. After seeing this today, i found a new strength. I will start blogging again. you can participate by letting me know what topic you want me to discuss/blog about. you can email me at [email]twmcinnis@gmail.com[/email]. I will be posting my new blogging site in a few days...

Best,
Theron

Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM

204 posts, read 316,822 times
"Equality"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education