Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Parents sue schools over timeout punishment - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

Am I the only one that does not see anything inherently abusive about this?
thank poor little girl; sure, poor little girl, if this caused emotional and mental angruish (which I think is the same thing) she sounds like a kid with a few problems the punishment did not create. People wonder why our judicial system need revising and I wonder what I can sue on next week? Certainly there must be something. Hubby and I could use a little extra....oh, I know what, yesterday he diid volunteer work at a golf tournament: it was 10 degrees colder than the weather predicrt and it rained which was not in the forecas. After the tourmenent dinner was provided and he over ate. Well, by the time he got home he has chills from getting wet, was also cold because he dressed for summer and he had a tummy ache because they allowed him to eat too much. He was awake most of the night, along with being sick this morning: I am sure we can sue the weather man for a wrong forecast and the restaurant for allowing him to over eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Here's a bit more detail. Interestingly, she was supposedly put in this time out room for accidentally getting soap in another student's eyes.

Lawsuit: Clark County Kindergarten Student Put In Dark, Padded Room For Punishment - ABC36 News WTVQ Lexington Kentucky

In the original incident report, according to the teacher, she had a time out at a desk in the classroom, not in this room. In a later letter, though they mention her going into the time out room.

The room had a window, btw, so I am not sure it can be characterized as dark. Padding is standard for kids with behavioral problems where they might hurt themselves by banging their heads on the wall, but this little one did not seem to have this kind of problem according to her parents.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I am very, very skeptical of the legitimacy of these claims...pulling an alleged instance from two years prior sets all kinds of vendetta-related red flags waving, in my head.

That said, a school has no business using a safety protocol in an instance in which no one was in danger of any kind, so if that occurred, it is obviously inappropriate.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Parents sue schools over timeout punishment - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

Am I the only one that does not see anything inherently abusive about this?

I do.

But not in the sense your post implied.

I see abuse of the legal system by parents, lawyers, and school board trustees. My own district has long ago taken the stance that they will not defend themselves from lawsuits. They simply offer a cash settlement. And it's alomst 100% effective in preventing trials.

The public incessantly whines about the "crazy" policies and actions of public schools. What they refuse to undertand is that so much of this craziness is the result of legal action against the schools by parents and lawyers looking for a quick payday.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 705 times
Default seclusion room

My son is in kindergarten 5 years old, same thing is happening to him. I never knew about the use of this room, until my mother picked him up from school and couldn't find him .. finally someone got the principal. She brought my mother over to this room where his teacher was yelling at him to stop laughing.. she opened the door of the closet and there he was. This is may 2015, we live in ma, my son says he is in this room everyday a bunch of times a day because tj (punches him) so he punches back, he says sometimes he is in this room for a long time and some times a short time, he said his teacher or teacher aid will hold the door shut for a few minutes then go back to class,when he's really bad the principal will shut the light off on him, one time the door was shut on his fingers (metal door) he seen the nurse, sometimes he put in there with another child and they will play rock paper sissors keep I mind this is a closet sized room with no adult, and used for kids they call violent .. I was never told about any of this!!!!!!!!! The school laughed when I ask for documentation

Old 05-30-2015, 03:29 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda02724 View Post
My son is in kindergarten 5 years old, same thing is happening to him. I never knew about the use of this room, until my mother picked him up from school and couldn't find him .. finally someone got the principal. She brought my mother over to this room where his teacher was yelling at him to stop laughing.. she opened the door of the closet and there he was. This is may 2015, we live in ma, my son says he is in this room everyday a bunch of times a day because tj (punches him) so he punches back, he says sometimes he is in this room for a long time and some times a short time, he said his teacher or teacher aid will hold the door shut for a few minutes then go back to class,when he's really bad the principal will shut the light off on him, one time the door was shut on his fingers (metal door) he seen the nurse, sometimes he put in there with another child and they will play rock paper sissors keep I mind this is a closet sized room with no adult, and used for kids they call violent .. I was never told about any of this!!!!!!!!! The school laughed when I ask for documentation
What are you planning to do to get your son's behavior under control?

Old 05-31-2015, 02:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda02724 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What are you planning to do to get your son's behavior under control?
amanda, what is your solution for your son punching other children and being "really bad" (his words) at school?

And you claim that the teacher never told you about your son's behavior when you attended parent-teacher conferences and never indicated that on his report cards? Since it is almost the end of the school year I am sure that they had at least two or three parent-teacher conferences and report cards. That is very odd that the teacher or principal never called you or send any notes home about his behavior. And, extremely odd that your child never mentioned anything to you about being put in a closet/small room before you accidentally found out. Something seems really strange about the whole situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education