Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

Things are really out of hand. This family is going through hell over a silly comment a child made in line. Shows she was watching too much TV and was confused by adult conversation. Sad indeed.

Kindergartner suspended for pink bubble gun threat - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Although, this does appear to be a serious over reaction we don't always know.

In this case it is very likely that it was just a little girl repeating something that she heard on TV, but we frequently do not hear the whole story in news reports.

I am aware of a different kindergartener that was recently suspended for something similar. However, in his case he is a seriously, deeply emotionally disturbed child with frequent violent outbursts (throwing chairs, hitting peers and adults with objects, etc). He is violent towards others as well as self-abusive (head-banging, scratching his skin). After he was suspended he was placed in an appropriate residential facility for treatment.

Luckily, the press didn't get wind of his story and call it "Five year old boy suspended for making silly threat" and complain that the school was being stupid for over reacting.

Whenever I read stories like this I always take them with "a grain of salt".

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
How much is to much when you mix a bunch of kids together for a long period of time over a long period of time? The real issue is we can't control the mix effectively. Either it will be to much to early or to little to late. People do there best in these situations but really, what can be done? You will have both scenarios. Someone will slip through and kill everyone at some point and many will get questioned and detained for making comments that intend no harm. Just part of the package when it comes to a large amount of small people at school or even adults in large work forces. Just people trying their best, it's not always going to work out on either side. Ah, poor kids, you live and learn. Not a great thing to say after Sandy Hook but she might have seen it on t.v. and at that age everything is sort of a joke. But, the school can't really ignore any threats and aren't shrinks.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Zero tolerance is just that..ZERO tolerance for anything even remotely associated.

This throws logic and clear thinking totally out of the window as nothing is tolerated or even taken in context.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
What a pathetic collection of deranged nuts this society has become.
Some serious cultural overhaul is needed.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
I was curious, because the school's reaction sounded over the top to me, so I looked for the Hello Kitty bubble gun, and found it on ebay.

Now I'm skeered of terroristic five year old girls.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
what a pathetic school, I wouldn't want my child going there, it's getting easier and easier to see why more people are keeping their kids at home, and teaching them themselves....imagine,ooooh, it's a scary 5 year old girl, with a pink plastic bubble gum...the mother shouldn't worry if her childs record shows a suspension, this type of bs seems to be growing more and more, so she is in no way alone.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
This has been resolved with the suspension being expunged from the child's record. I've been following the story closely because the school district (Mount Carmel Area, PA) is my wife's alma mater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education