Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I'm not saying K teachers aren't important. I'm making a point that teaching K phys ed is definitly not as difficult as teaching an AP chemistry course. The subject matter taught should be taken into consideration when determiniing salaries,imo.

I happen to believe there should exist pay structures for each level of education: elementary, middle, HS, AP courses.

I also believe that there should be different pay scales for those that teach core academic subjects and extra-curricular subjects.
Have you ever tried to get 30 kindergarteners to play kick ball at the same time? Difficulty is relative to the person judging it. Teaching calculus is a different category from taking calculus as a class. There are teachers who can put forth a bare minimum of effort to teach calculus and teachers who work 70 hours a week to make sure their elementary class is being taught well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggluvbug View Post
Have you ever tried to get 30 kindergarteners to play kick ball at the same time? Difficulty is relative to the person judging it. Teaching calculus is a different category from taking calculus as a class. There are teachers who can put forth a bare minimum of effort to teach calculus and teachers who work 70 hours a week to make sure their elementary class is being taught well.
Every other profession has graduated payscales based upon acquisiton of knowledge, performance and level of expertise. It should be no different for the teaching profession.

That's why the guy who assembles widgets doesn't get the same pay as a guy who who's a rocket scientiest.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
I'm not saying K teachers aren't important. I'm making a point that teaching K phys ed is definitly not as difficult as teaching an AP chemistry course. The subject matter taught should be taken into consideration when determiniing salaries,imo.

I happen to believe there should exist pay structures for each level of education: elementary, middle, HS, AP courses.

I also believe that there should be different pay scales for those that teach core academic subjects and extra-curricular subjects.

Actually, teaching kindergarten CAN be MUCH more difficult then teaching AP Chemistry. Most AP students are not behavior issues, they tend to be hard workers and have a lot of self motivation. You don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in many other lower level classes. You don't generally have AP kids skipping classes, sleeping through their classes, etc. Every teacher will tell you that the easiest classes to teach are the advanced HS courses. Keep in mind that the AP Chemistry teacher has the background and knowledge to teach the course and the subject matter is EASY for them even if it isn't easy for the students. I would say that it is much easier to teach a bunch of 17 year olds the periodic table then it is to teach a bunch of 5 year olds to sit still and listen during a lesson.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 AM

743 posts, read 2,233,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually, teaching kindergarten CAN be MUCH more difficult then teaching AP Chemistry..... I would say that it is much easier to teach a bunch of 17 year olds the periodic table then it is to teach a bunch of 5 year olds to sit still and listen during a lesson.
Try telling a college prof that thier job is easier than a k pe teacher. I wonder how they would respond

Old 11-05-2007, 06:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Try telling a college prof that thier job is easier than a k pe teacher. I wonder how they would respond

I am sure they would agree with me 100%. Again, just because the material is more difficult doesn't mean it is harder to teacher. Just as much work and planning goes into a kindergarten class as does a college level course and kindergarten teachers don't have TA's to help them correct papers or teach the classes. Go spend a day in a kindergarten class and tell me how easy it is. You are just assuming since you think kindergarten is easy, and hopefully for a grown adult it is, that it is easy to teach. Ask and AP chemistry teacher how they would feel if they were suddenly moved to a kindergarten classroom, most of them would probably say they would quit their jobs in a second if they had to teach kindergarten.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM
9/9

383 posts, read 565,777 times
Quote:

I taught at the college level for a couple of years. I don't know anyone I worked with there that would say that their teaching was more difficult to do than any k-12 teaching job.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:06 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually, teaching kindergarten CAN be MUCH more difficult then teaching AP Chemistry. Most AP students are not behavior issues, they tend to be hard workers and have a lot of self motivation. You don't have to deal with the crap that goes on in many other lower level classes. You don't generally have AP kids skipping classes, sleeping through their classes, etc. Every teacher will tell you that the easiest classes to teach are the advanced HS courses. Keep in mind that the AP Chemistry teacher has the background and knowledge to teach the course and the subject matter is EASY for them even if it isn't easy for the students. I would say that it is much easier to teach a bunch of 17 year olds the periodic table then it is to teach a bunch of 5 year olds to sit still and listen during a lesson.
Good points.

I've thought of teaching part-time after I retire (a long way off though)....junior high would be the worst IMO. Honors highschool would be much better....etc etc etc. However, certain people can deal with certain types much better....to each their own.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,513 times
Quote:

so what happens when someone teaches some combination of the above, which is often the case?

(btw, teachers do get stipends for teaching AP courses, not because the subject matter is more difficult, but because there is an additional level of administration involved.)

Old 11-05-2007, 11:20 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,653 times
Default Accountability in everything we do....

You bring up some good points. Personally, I have no problem with a teacher making more than they currently make just so long as they take a similar risk quotient most of us take that pursue higher payouts. Want to make 70K+ as a teacher, great. Just one thing. If you don't perform, you're gone. Are YOU okay with that? And we don't need a union to do it.

Same goes for the School Boards and their administrations. Quit bloating the facility count and headcounts. Be held liable for what you instill in the classroom. Ever try to bid a service to a government entity like a schoolboard? Hah! First thing you have to do is hire an "expeditor". Roughly translated, this is some good ol' boy or minority that has the "connections" to make things happen....as long as you have this system in place, how good could the rest be???

If you, as a teacher, want "corporate welfare" at least come out in the open market and take your chances. You will be thrilled at how "fast paced" your "Work Environment" will become as well as adapt to the "walking on eggshell" feeling you will have at any job for the rest of your lives. And don't forget, NO pension for the priviledge. I don't think I would see too many volunteers. Why risk that....right? Otherwise, be overtly grateful you HAVE a job that probably won't end up in China, India, ad nauseum. Be grateful you HAVE excellent heathcare and a PREDICTABLE schedule. While your pay is not stellar, for most markets (definitely not all) you are adequately paid. Afterall, where's the risk? Once tenured, it's RIP (retire in peace).....At 40-60K for 9-10 months work, 8-10 hours a day, it's a pretty decent pay-rate.

But, I think most know it as few seem to leave after tenure?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:18 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,615 times
Quote:
Every other profession has graduated payscales based upon acquisiton of knowledge, performance and level of expertise. It should be no different for the teaching profession.

That's why the guy who assembles widgets doesn't get the same pay as a guy who who's a rocket scientiest.
A high school AP teacher has a 4 year degree just like a kindergarten teacher. Both would be compensated for getting master's, national boards, etc. You never answered the question about whether you teach or not. I am thinking that you probably haven't with this idea. I am sure that I won't change your mind about it either.

I wonder if a high school AP teacher would have the same knowledge about teaching reading, reading theory, etc? Probably not. Each is a professional in their area of expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education