Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I only saw one or two with laptops in the Math classes I took and even they gave them up after a few weeks and went back to a notebook.
That makes sense in math class.

More than 75% of the kids in my class use laptops or tablets.

OTOH cursive is not going to you much good their either.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That makes sense in math class.

More than 75% of the kids in my class use laptops or tablets.

OTOH cursive is not going to you much good their either.

I actually took quite a bit of notes in my Algebra class along with the practicing of equations. I have never been wonderful at it, and the teacher I had that year in college did a phenomenal job at teaching and explaining it.

She actually made Algebra fun. I do have a couple of notebooks full of notes from her class. I probably had 3 1/2 full in A&P and probably less than one in my Writing class. It was my strongest course, but not much longer and A&P was...

From what I saw, I was the only one in any of my classes with a laptop. I really stopped bringing it because it wasn't of much use except for at home when I needed to do research and type out my papers.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I actually took quite a bit of notes in my Algebra class along with the practicing of equations. I have never been wonderful at it, and the teacher I had that year in college did a phenomenal job at teaching and explaining it.

She actually made Algebra fun. I do have a couple of notebooks full of notes from her class. I probably had 3 1/2 full in A&P and probably less than one in my Writing class. It was my strongest course, but not much longer and A&P was...

From what I saw, I was the only one in any of my classes with a laptop. I really stopped bringing it because it wasn't of much use except for at home when I needed to do research and type out my papers.
Ok that's your personal experience based on two classes. Mine is based on teaching dozens of college courses over many years.

Second, it isn't all laptops. As I said MANY are using tablets which are much easier to take notes on anyway.

The point is and remains that cursive is no longer a necessary skill but at most a preference for only some people. Therefore there is nothing wrong with taking it out of school.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok that's your personal experience based on two classes. Mine is based on teaching dozens of college courses over many years.

Second, it isn't all laptops. As I said MANY are using tablets which are much easier to take notes on anyway.

The point is and remains that cursive is no longer a necessary skill but at most a preference for only some people. Therefore there is nothing wrong with taking it out of school.
OK. I have had more than two classes.

We obviously have two different points of view here and what I need to understand is that yours is always right.

I can't give a point of view or opinion of anyone else but myself, and you can't give the point of view of your students.

I don't care that you have taught for however long you have taught. I guess you will next say that you survey each and every student about whether they are more comfortable with taking notes using pen and paper, a laptop, or a tablet.

Just because you teach a class does not mean you can represent other peoples minds and opinions.

It is my opinion that taking notes in cursive writing is much faster than in print, and is better for me than using a computer.

You can't change how I think and feel about something and just because you feel differently does not make you right, nor does it mean you can state other peoples opinions.

EVER!

Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OK. I have had more than two classes.

We obviously have two different points of view here and what I need to understand is that yours is always right.

I can't give a point of view or opinion of anyone else but myself, and you can't give the point of view of your students.

I don't care that you have taught for however long you have taught. I guess you will next say that you survey each and every student about whether they are more comfortable with taking notes using pen and paper, a laptop, or a tablet.

Just because you teach a class does not mean you can represent other peoples minds and opinions.

It is my opinion that taking notes in cursive writing is much faster than in print, and is better for me than using a computer.

You can't change how I think and feel about something and just because you feel differently does not make you right, nor does it mean you can state other peoples opinions.

EVER!
Nice try. What I said was if it is important to you that your children learn cursive than teach it to them at HOME.

You have not shown in ANYWAY why it should be a mandatory subject in grade school. In fact all you have done is shown that for some it is a personal preference. Ok. I never said it wasn't, just because you prefer it does not mean it is necessary for EVERYONE to learn.

If anyone is trying to force anything it is you, you think because YOU prefer cursive that everyone should be forced to learn it. So which of us is being the authoritarian here?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well if they do drop cursive, and it is removed with Common Core, there has to be somewhere in K-12 that they teach these kids how to sign their name don't you think ?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM

...Oh goodness....

Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Maybe it is time to go back to basics?
Every child should learn how to load and shoot a musket.
Skills needed for hunting and defending the homestead against the English.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
lol.

But that would be the boys? Are we saying the girls should stay home or can they learn to at least spin some wool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education