Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,162 times

Advertisements

After 2nd generation they just become average. I don't believe they're "naturally" smarter, just that the drive, the desire, the determination is more. It's also very competitive within the community/family, bragging rights how smart your kid is, or what their profession is.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
It all comes down to attitude. Over the last 75 years since I started school, and spending my life in the business world, along with being a third generation Californian, I have known many Asians.

The big thing I noticed, and the education experts will tell you, is Asians beat out the non Asians in the USA, and other European ethnic groups, for one reason and one reason only.

They have a different attitude, and demand their students do well in school. Too many especially white students are in the party mode and not the top student mode. Especially in high school and college. They just don't care, and their parents do not care. On the other hand, the Asians are working hard to be able to get ahead in the work place when they get into that part of their life, and the parent and the students see that they really learn.

They are not inherently smarter, they just apply themselves, while especially white students would rather hang with their friends and party.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
They are not inherently smarter,
Pure conjecture.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
If anything, I would say Asians tend to have much better work ethics and higher standards for themselves, something that many Americans severely lack in. (Admit it, most Americans like being lazy!)

Asians tend to be smarter or excel more in areas simply because they probably work harder for it than the average American.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,644,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It all comes down to attitude. Over the last 75 years since I started school, and spending my life in the business world, along with being a third generation Californian, I have known many Asians.

The big thing I noticed, and the education experts will tell you, is Asians beat out the non Asians in the USA, and other European ethnic groups, for one reason and one reason only.

They have a different attitude, and demand their students do well in school. Too many especially white students are in the party mode and not the top student mode. Especially in high school and college. They just don't care, and their parents do not care. On the other hand, the Asians are working hard to be able to get ahead in the work place when they get into that part of their life, and the parent and the students see that they really learn.

They are not inherently smarter, they just apply themselves, while especially white students would rather hang with their friends and party.

For a long time, athletic ability has been respected above academic ability in American culture. Over intelligent kids in junior high and high school were considered nerds and bright children hid their brilliance. Now it it cool to be a geek, take STEM classes. I see a shift in the next ten years.

Also keep in mind, that most Indian and Chinese coming to the United States in the last decade have come by choice, not for political asylum like other groups before them. The top achievers from these countries come for school or for a job in hand, so naturally they will strong competitors in their pursuits.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
If anything, I would say Asians tend to have much better work ethics and higher standards for themselves, something that many Americans severely lack in. (Admit it, most Americans like being lazy!)

Asians tend to be smarter or excel more in areas simply because they probably work harder for it than the average American.
I grew up in China. I guarantee you many Chinese students are lazy too.
Many of my friends in childhood never finished their homework, paid no attention in class, and lied to teachers. Even in college, many students never study except before the finals. There are also students who play basketball every day, or join the singers' club.

However, in the US, Chinese people have to forget about other interests/talents and become a programmer/accountant/biologist... just to survive.
No company will hire a Chinese for his/her "soft" skills. While a good looking blond man is guaranteed a good job in the US, a Chinese is not. A white guy's father may know someone to help him find a job. Chinese do not.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:31 PM

Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan (temporary, just for another year and I'm off)
10 posts, read 13,176 times
I agree. Lots are Asians are just lazyass.

With my limited knowledge, I can say that the level of intelligence between Asians and any other races are the same.
Lots of factors contribute to their "smartness": environment, pressure.

With all these stereotypes building up and barriers higher for Asian students, these Asians must up their standards in order to compete with other Asians!
From the pool of Asian friends I have, they do indeed work hard, while some are able to breeze through. You see, I have a junior friend who just took the SAT for the first time and got a 2400. She is indeed very intelligent, but she has been studying nonstop as a pass time for years!

Work ethics is indeed part of the Asian culture, fostered by the previous generations. I don't know why, but as far as I have seen, it's true in a population of Asians, there is a high % of Asians who do well academically.
As for peer and family pressure, I was once like that too. I am still a bit. Often I just feel so pressured, to score well on everything because my Asian friends are so much better than me and I felt inferior.

I'm quite over that now though. I much prefer a laid-back lifestyle, though my parents wouldn't like it if i told them that!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
It is culture. Asian kids and families simply dont worship and idolize sports and and entertainers as much. Want a good life? Well open up the books, shut up in class, and do your hw.

Im in a graduate level advanced mathematics for engineers class right now and 80% of the class is probably Asian. Americans simply place their priorities on the wrong things.

It is also not because Asians are smarter, they are just not as lazy and complacent as westerners. While you are taking little jimmy to soccer practice and basketball aafter a measly 45 minutes of homework, kids in South Korea are doing math and science problems for fun until 9 pm after school and on weekends. In high school, theyre learning differential equations and linear algebra while our kids here have laughably easy algebra and geometry problems. Simply put, a larger number of Asians are more willing to put in the work.

Last edited by fibonacci; 11-05-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It is culture. Asian kids and families simply dont worship and idolize sports and and entertainers as much. Want a good life? Well open up the books, shut up in class, and do your hw.

Im in a graduate level advanced mathematics for engineers class right now and 80% of the class is probably Asian. Americans simply place their priorities on the wrong things.

It is also not because Asians are smarter, they are just not as lazy and complacent as westerners. While you are taking little jimmy to soccer practice and basketball aafter a measly 45 minutes of homework, kids in South Korea are doing math and science problems for fun until 9 pm after school and on weekends. In high school, theyre learning differential equations and linear algebra while our kids here have laughably easy algebra and geometry problems. Simply put, a larger number of Asians are more willing to put in the work.
Asians in Asia do idolize sports and entertainers too. However, they don't do that in the US because they know they have absolutely no chance to become a professional athlete or Hollywood star. Not even a chance. They do have chances in Asia. In China, some people just chase their dreams and manage to make a living. In the US they can't.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:32 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
LOL.

So you are discounting mathematics in Ancient time. The world is round. Things go in cycle.. If you can't see that there is a shift, you are living in a bubble.
Yes I cannot see any shift. Indians like always do not know build anything. Chinese like always build low quality goods. Once again if Japanese would come here and BS it is different story. But Indian and Chinese talk about supremacy?? For Indians for beginning go learn plumbing. Like first do shifts in yours countries exactly as Japanese and Koreans did in 50ties and 60ties. Why you must come to USA to BS about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education