Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:15 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morton View Post
Overhead a family member refer to the combined middle/high school as a giant daycare center.........would you consider school to be nothing more than glorified childcare until age 18?
Mine definitely was, and all the way through 12th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
But aren't all schools in a way? There's detention. There's lunch/recess. Whether you go to a private or public school it is ultimately up to the student to make it a decision. Schools actually do try to give knowledge (whether few or a lot of it), but will the students care enough to try to understand it is key. If they never care for education, then yes, it is a daycare.

My high school offered a lot of opportunities for higher knowledge with AP programs and dual enrollment. Most of my peers did not take these opportunities, because they didn't care. They spent bathroom breaks smoking pot, sneaking behind the gym to smoke cigarettes, consistently went to detention for other reasons, etc. Now that was not every student, but because of them it felt like a daycare. Learning was delayed because of their interruptions and such. It makes someone who actually cares feel like they are stuck with a bunch of imbeciles, and unfortunately, that's the entire educational system if you are smart.

I knew many a few kids who had parents send them to Xavier and Brophy (the big private schools in Phoenix) and they acted in a similar manner. They had less of these kids, I would say, but they were still there.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:04 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Overhead a family member refer to the combined middle/high school as a giant daycare center.........would you consider school to be nothing more than glorified childcare until age 18?
For me, studying hard in school always meant ---> making a lot of money in the future.

That's the only goal that ever mattered. One-sided I know, but that's how I approached it.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

As an aside, I'm tired of the continual school bashing on this forum. If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Get involved in your schools and be a catalyst for change.
I could see how one could get tired of the school bashing. However I think some of what is expressed here(in this forum) are legitimate concerns that realistically won't be changed simply by the involvement of one individual.

My oldest is in high school. When she was younger there were some problems with the school. There was also some problems with a particular curriculum that was being used. People left the school because of how it was mismanaged. Numerous letters were sent(by more than one individual) to the superintendent and the school board with no resolution. People expressed concerns about one aspect of the curriculum...pretty much shot down....and the curriculum was used until the end of the cycle(7 years).

Our school board has toyed with various ideas of minimizing public commentary at meetings...this always gets a lot of pushback. When the public does come up to comment one particular school board member always looks bored and flops around in her seat like it is almost too painful for her to listen to.

People have sued to obtain what should be readily accessible information from the district.

I recently heard a rumor about school funding. I'd like to confirm whether it is true or not, because it plays into some bigger issues that are going on in our district right now. It should be a simple yes or no answer. How many days and attempts(based on past attempts to get information) do you think it will take to get in answer.

It is nice to say get involved and be a catalyst for change, in practice it doesn't work out that those who run the systems really want any input from the public.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,292 times
I think its up to the parents. In most public schools the opportunity to advance your childs academic progress is there if the parents make sure it happens. There is also the opportunity for the child to go to the grand educational edifice aFor instance my nd take consumer math, Greek mythology, shop and the english requirement taught by the teacher who passes everyone. Its up to the parents to make sure there children are on track and succeeding to the best of their potential. I do not abdicate my childs education and academic prowess to the public school systems. On a daily basis I make myself aware of their classwork/homework and at the teachers request assist in making sure the work gets done.

On my own I investigate where their grade level baseline are and make sure they are not only ahead in what they will see in class and on standards tests but also look ahead to the coming years and introduce them to concepts they will be seeing in the near furure. I do this through various sites and different tools I find online and at academic book stores. For instance im teaching my 3rd grader long division and his 4th grade sister fractions and decimals, both have been introduced to simple algebra as a fun game we play at the Khan academy website.

You can use the public school system as a baby sitter or use it as a place to educate your children. Its up to you and how much time and effort your willing to put forth as a parent to reach educational goals

Old 12-10-2013, 06:48 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I think its up to the parents. In most public schools the opportunity to advance your childs academic progress is there if the parents make sure it happens. There is also the opportunity for the child to go to the grand educational edifice aFor instance my nd take consumer math, Greek mythology, shop and the english requirement taught by the teacher who passes everyone. Its up to the parents to make sure there children are on track and succeeding to the best of their potential. I do not abdicate my childs education and academic prowess to the public school systems. On a daily basis I make myself aware of their classwork/homework and at the teachers request assist in making sure the work gets done.

On my own I investigate where their grade level baseline are and make sure they are not only ahead in what they will see in class and on standards tests but also look ahead to the coming years and introduce them to concepts they will be seeing in the near furure. I do this through various sites and different tools I find online and at academic book stores. For instance im teaching my 3rd grader long division and his 4th grade sister fractions and decimals, both have been introduced to simple algebra as a fun game we play at the Khan academy website.

You can use the public school system as a baby sitter or use it as a place to educate your children. Its up to you and how much time and effort your willing to put forth as a parent to reach educational goals
Exactly. The schools reflect the community. There are some communities that place a high value on education, and some that don't. Here in Metro Detroit there are atrocious school districts like Detroit Public Schools, yet if you drive less than 10 miles from Detroit you can find some of the best districts in the country. The reason is that most people in Detroit place almost no value on education as more than half of the population is functionally illiterate. No surprise there. Yet when you go into districts that contain a lot of college educated parents you have a lot of high achieving students.

Its not rocket science. Education is what you make of it.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:10 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I could see how one could get tired of the school bashing. However I think some of what is expressed here(in this forum) are legitimate concerns that realistically won't be changed simply by the involvement of one individual.

My oldest is in high school. When she was younger there were some problems with the school. There was also some problems with a particular curriculum that was being used. People left the school because of how it was mismanaged. Numerous letters were sent(by more than one individual) to the superintendent and the school board with no resolution. People expressed concerns about one aspect of the curriculum...pretty much shot down....and the curriculum was used until the end of the cycle(7 years).

Our school board has toyed with various ideas of minimizing public commentary at meetings...this always gets a lot of pushback. When the public does come up to comment one particular school board member always looks bored and flops around in her seat like it is almost too painful for her to listen to.

People have sued to obtain what should be readily accessible information from the district.

I recently heard a rumor about school funding. I'd like to confirm whether it is true or not, because it plays into some bigger issues that are going on in our district right now. It should be a simple yes or no answer. How many days and attempts(based on past attempts to get information) do you think it will take to get in answer.

It is nice to say get involved and be a catalyst for change, in practice it doesn't work out that those who run the systems really want any input from the public.
Things change when people continually speak up. I've seen it happen. What's the outcome if you DON'T try to change a failing system? School board members are not elected for life. Vote out the people you don't like and vote in new people.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Glorified babysitting, giant daycare, etc... Actually one can use any name. It depends on the individual poster.
1) What do you expect from a PUBLIC school? As the post above implicates, you should speak up. However, as in politics, people demand different, sometimes conflicting things. Somebody will always be unhappy.
2) Schools operate under difficult constraints: strained budgets, teacher unions, state regulations and federal laws, special interests...
3) Then there are those who don't miss an opportunity to bash and criticize public schools since they are not in line with their political agenda.
4) Maybe critics could define precisely what they expect from public schools, in practical terms. It will help more than name calling.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
I consider them anti-Christian, anti-Constitution, pro-gay and abortion propaganda indoctrination centers.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I consider them anti-Christian, anti-Constitution, pro-gay and abortion propaganda indoctrination centers.
And you base this on what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education