Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your IQ ?
yes 213 59.00%
No 137 37.95%
I won't tell you, I don't have to 11 3.05%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I find this rather funny:

And good grammar has went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
I would love to know my IQ.

I wish I knew where I could get a legitimate IQ test without having to spend a fortune.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I would love to know my IQ.

I wish I knew where I could get a legitimate IQ test without having to spend a fortune.
I'll give you one for free!
Q. What is the capital of Vermont?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
148-154 (I've been tested a few times in my lifetime and that's the range of results I've received).

Also, for what it's worth, having a higher than average IQ hasn't helped or hindered me in life. For the most part, I have had very ordinary jobs. I'm currently choosing to be a Stay at Home Mum.

I think somebodies success in life is dictated by more characteristics than a simple measure of intelligence.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No I'd give it up to fit better with society and work better with others. Intelligence alone is rather worthless. I'd rather have balance than a lot of one and less of the others.

I'm referring to the contribution one makes to society. If you think being able to win at Trivial Pursuit makes you better, go for it.

Accomplish isn't really subjective. Society determines what accomplishment looks like not individuals. Individuals determine the private portions of their lives but whether they've accomplished anything in the public portions is up to society to determine.
And you don't think that Newton and Edison and Shakespeare and Jefferson and Bill Gates made any contributions to society, and the world would be better off if they had all just hung out "fitting better with society" with their buddies drinking Bud Light after a day of grunt work.

If your child is ever critically injured in an accident, I bet you will pray that there are some nerdy doctors around with "rather worthless" intelligence, and not just some whose priority is to "balance" their social life at the country club.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
I'm shocked by the poll results. I would think that most people wouldn't know their IQ and could care less (me being in that grouping). Where and why were you taking the test is my question? If it's for admission to a more prestigious college or for admission into a supposed gifted program I guess I can see it used as a tool, but only as a tool. The accuracy of these tests as mentioned by many posting here is pretty questionable.

I remember my daughter, who throughout grade school and early high school was #1 in her class (she transferred to a better school in high school) took a test once to get into a program for the elite academics. Even though she was the best student in the class she didn't get in, though some students she was tutoring did. Was this an "IQ" test? I don't know. All I do know is it was a joke. She has her Doctorate in Physical Therapy now and is more than capable of going through Med. School if she chose. She loves what she does now though.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I'm shocked by the poll results. I would think that most people wouldn't know their IQ and could care less (me being in that grouping). Where and why were you taking the test is my question? If it's for admission to a more prestigious college or for admission into a supposed gifted program I guess I can see it used as a tool, but only as a tool. The accuracy of these tests as mentioned by many posting here is pretty questionable.

I remember my daughter, who throughout grade school and early high school was #1 in her class (she transferred to a better school in high school) took a test once to get into a program for the elite academics. Even though she was the best student in the class she didn't get in, though some students she was tutoring did. Was this an "IQ" test? I don't know. All I do know is it was a joke. She has her Doctorate in Physical Therapy now and is more than capable of going through Med. School if she chose. She loves what she does now though.
Kids may get tested if they are performing at a high level or, if they are struggling, as part of a psychological evaluation for learning disabilities.

I remember being pulled out of class in elementary school to take the test. I sat at a desk in the supply closet in the principal's office to do it.

I would guess that what your daughter took was an achievement test, not an IQ test. Any teachers here might have a better idea what it was. Did you consider asking about it and perhaps requesting a retest?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:28 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Kids may get tested if they are performing at a high level or, if they are struggling, as part of a psychological evaluation for learning disabilities.

I remember being pulled out of class in elementary school to take the test. I sat at a desk in the supply closet in the principal's office to do it.

I would guess that what your daughter took was an achievement test, not an IQ test. Any teachers here might have a better idea what it was. Did you consider asking about it and perhaps requesting a retest?

No I didn't, simply because for her not to have done well enough on it when a couple clowns in her class passed it told me all I needed to know. Pure common sense would tell anyone existing in the real world that something here was skewed. It was an upper grade school program that was called SEED where these kids were singled out and got to go on certain field trips and take some extra supposedly more "fun" classes rewarding them for being so special. This was back in about 1992 or 1993 so other details about it are fuzzy now.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I've never known my IQ. I only know that I'm crazy

Old 03-24-2014, 11:37 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm wondering why the NSA hasn't tracked down all these stunningly brilliant people and asked them to step up, serve their country, and sit in on Cabinet meetings.
Hey, they did and I did, except it was a military branch of the NSA and I never got invited to any Cabinet meetings. (Maybe my lack of deodorant?) I don't think it had much to do with my IQ, as I worked with some pretty dumb troopers there.

In high school I took an IQ test given by the school's guidance counselor. I cheated on it. I was tired of hearing how much better I could do "if you'd just apply yourself," so I answered a few pages without reading the questions. (For me, high school was for fun, not for studying.) A year or two later I told the guidance counselor that I planned to major in architectural engineering in college. He looked at my charts and advised that I do something easier.

I've met some pretty smart and powerful people in my lifetime, but my late wife was the smartest person I've ever known. She said her IQ was 165. Her three kids' IQs are all in the 150-175 range; her brothers are both nationally noted experts in their scientific fields. She notched a perfect score on her SAT (or ACT?) test but said it wasn't that unusual. Whew! It would have been in MY family!

But she'd have fit right in as about average in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education