Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I don't see this as the same issue as a work ID at all. I actually don't have that sort of card that you speak of but I'm sure something like that will be coming soon.

I as an adult can make that choice to work in such an environment where I am tracked. The kid has no choice.

As far as the added expense that is the great point. As a taxpayer and a parent I'd rather see that money go to an actual teacher than in the pockets of some technology company.
If you have any work ID card, then it is almost guaranteed that it tracks you. If you use the card to go through security doors or clock in or out or log into any device, it absolutely has tracking technology built into it and does track you. It has probably been at least 20 years since I had a workplace that did not issue such an ID to all employees (not to mention my high school in the 80s and college in the 90s both used such IDs too).

The technology is cheap. Probably around 5 cents per student plus an additional $2k for readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
My work ID doesn't "track" me per se. It lets me open the doors, so theoretically the company can know when I opened the door to enter the building. But if I hold the door open or someone holds the door open for me, such a tracking feature is lost.

And I don't swipe the badge to leave the building.

My work ID badge is for security only. We used to have a keypad but it got too cumbersome to reprogram every time somebody quit or got fired.

I'm sure some companies have software that can literally track their employees. That can be useful if HR needs to build a case for termination.

A student does not need a badge to get into the building, so their badges would be used for tracking only. That's the difference.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Exact same issue with work IDs. (At schools here, students are required to have their photo IDs on them and visible at all times. This is not common practice elsewhere?)
It may be policy, but the kids get around it.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Exact same issue with work IDs. (At schools here, students are required to have their photo IDs on them and visible at all times. This is not common practice elsewhere?)
I have a high school student at Catholic school and a college student at a State school. Neither one is required to display their badges. (Pennsylvania)

I work at a private company and I am not required to display my badge. It's used to unlock the door if somebody doesn't buzz me in or hold the door open for me. (New Jersey)

My wife works for a public agency dealing with at-risk toddlers and she is required to display her badge at all times. (Pennsylvania)

And anyway, who cares if you have to display your badge at work? We are talking about schools.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
My son never used his HS ID and didn't carry it. You can't expect an ID card to be a tracking device, and who/how would track them and why and where if they are just going from class to class? It's kind of funny to see imaginations spin though.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My work ID doesn't "track" me per se. It lets me open the doors, so theoretically the company can know when I opened the door to enter the building. But if I hold the door open or someone holds the door open for me, such a tracking feature is lost.
Read range is about 10 feet. Under ideal conditions, the newer generation tags can be read at 100'+. Our security system (albeit, for a secure facility) definitely can track everyone who goes in and out, whether or not someone holds the door for them.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
And anyway, who cares if you have to display your badge at work? We are talking about schools.
My simple point is that we are arguing about whether schools should deploy tracking devices in ID cards, when tracking devices in ID cards have been standard practice for a couple of decades and are ubiquitous today. If you child has a student ID, they already have a tracking card.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
If you child has a student ID, they already have a tracking card.
You appear to be saying the OP's question "Should tracking devices become mandatory for all students or is it a step to far?" is moot because ALL students ID's have tracking devices.

I happen to believe that all student ID's do not contain tracking devices. Heck, my 10th grader doesn't even carry his unless we go someplace where he needs a student ID to get a discount.

The simple fact that technology exists that can read student ID's up to 100 feet, coupled with the possibility that students may be required to carry their ID's at all times or face punishment, means that the OP's question is a valid one.

P.S. The "read range" on my badge at work is like an inch, not 10 feet and certainly not 100 feet. It's a pain sometimes when I'm carrying stuff and I have to line the damn thing up perfectly just to get into the building!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:03 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Keep in mind the OP was using "tracking" in a context of "Amber Alerts" etc. So clearly not the same thing as door entry scanning, but long range GPS type tracking ability.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:21 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Tracking devices on school ID's is a creepy idea. What purpose would they serve? I think it's a horrible idea.
Ehhh, on the fence here. For normal kids no but for special needs children yes.
Keep thinking of that little autistic boy in NY that bolted out of school ( why door wasn't locked is another issue) had he had a tracking device it may have had a better ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education