Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 PM

351 posts, read 693,274 times

Advertisements

I don't see a problem with 6 year olds looking at an ipad. In my days, I learned through reading books and listening to my teachers...theoretically . TV had very limited educational programs. Sesame Street, Electric Company, and maybe even Mr. Rogers would be a few of those. These days, there are many more ways to learn stuff and even a few entire channels full of programming that teaches anything from social skills and creative thinking to math and english. There are websites built completely around educating children of different ages. Having ipads and computers with these programs, websites, and educational gaming software can be a great tool for kids to learn stuff. It can be fun which is the easiest way to teach anyone anything.

Ever have a boring, monotone teacher? Did you have trouble learning from that teacher? Well, it's the same for kids. They have a hard time learning from boring teachers. It's much easier learning from teachers that are active and involved with the class...ones that have a sense of humor and creativity. Another good way of teaching kids along with an active teacher is to have different sources of information and different ways to gain that information. The ipad and computers offers that change of environment for kids. Some kids learn better with different methods to keep things interesting, while others can do just fine with one or two methods. You can't just teach to a handful of kids that can learn fine with one method of learning. It's best to not only teach many different methods for everyone to enjoy, but to introduce the idea of learning in different ways from those that have a difficult time learning certain subjects...or any subject for that matter.

I think you get the idea here. I welcome the use of ipads for any age in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,890,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Of course they are learning.

I hate to tell you but no one's taught the three R's for decades now.

I can imagine a similar argument when abacuses gave way to calculators.

The human race is getting smarter, not dumber, generally speaking at least....!

Slide rule gave way to the calculator.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
I don't see a problem with 6 year olds looking at an ipad. In my days, I learned through reading books and listening to my teachers...theoretically . TV had very limited educational programs. Sesame Street, Electric Company, and maybe even Mr. Rogers would be a few of those. These days, there are many more ways to learn stuff and even a few entire channels full of programming that teaches anything from social skills and creative thinking to math and english. There are websites built completely around educating children of different ages. Having ipads and computers with these programs, websites, and educational gaming software can be a great tool for kids to learn stuff. It can be fun which is the easiest way to teach anyone anything.

Ever have a boring, monotone teacher? Did you have trouble learning from that teacher? Well, it's the same for kids. They have a hard time learning from boring teachers. It's much easier learning from teachers that are active and involved with the class...ones that have a sense of humor and creativity. Another good way of teaching kids along with an active teacher is to have different sources of information and different ways to gain that information. The ipad and computers offers that change of environment for kids. Some kids learn better with different methods to keep things interesting, while others can do just fine with one or two methods. You can't just teach to a handful of kids that can learn fine with one method of learning. It's best to not only teach many different methods for everyone to enjoy, but to introduce the idea of learning in different ways from those that have a difficult time learning certain subjects...or any subject for that matter.

I think you get the idea here. I welcome the use of ipads for any age in the classroom.

I don't get the idea. You learned from an educator through lectures and school books. It can still be done. I noticed you use the term "learn stuff" a few times. I hope an education is more than just to "learn stuff". What is stuff?

TV in the class room wasn't conducive when I was in school in the 60s. There was Romper Room, Sesame Street(yawn) and Mr Rogers (more yawn). We got to watch it before school started but the school turned that stuff off when the school day began. That programming was for home and not school. Those shows were behavioral programming and that isn't the job of an educator unless you pay a private school to polish your kid's behavior. If a kid learned only from Sesame Street that is a dumb kid along the lines of Common Core.

You mentioned boring monotone teachers. I have had boring monotone college professors, bosses, workmates and anything else that fits. If they are to be as active, fun and involved as you suggest they may as well be clowns making balloon animals. I am sure the government has testing for that.

TV, computers and iPads are recreational toys in the minds of kids. Some might get the idea that it is not but that may be a few out of a classroom. Kids need to learn the three Rs, not how to get answers from the internet. I guess homework research is printing a wiki page and emailing it to the teacher.

The movie Idiocracy is coming to life.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I don't get the idea. You learned from an educator through lectures and school books. It can still be done. I noticed you use the term "learn stuff" a few times. I hope an education is more than just to "learn stuff". What is stuff?

TV in the class room wasn't conducive when I was in school in the 60s. There was Romper Room, Sesame Street(yawn) and Mr Rogers (more yawn). We got to watch it before school started but the school turned that stuff off when the school day began. That programming was for home and not school. Those shows were behavioral programming and that isn't the job of an educator unless you pay a private school to polish your kid's behavior. If a kid learned only from Sesame Street that is a dumb kid along the lines of Common Core.

You mentioned boring monotone teachers. I have had boring monotone college professors, bosses, workmates and anything else that fits. If they are to be as active, fun and involved as you suggest they may as well as be clowns making balloon animals. I am sure the government has testing for that.

TV, computers and iPads are recreational toys in the minds of kids. Some might get the idea that it is not but that may be a few out of a classroom. Kids need to learn the three Rs, not how to get answers from the internet. I guess homework research is printing a wiki page and emailing it to the teacher.

The movie Idiocracy is coming to life.
This one is funny for too many reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0U3b5s_UKk

Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Staring at an ipad.
Staring at an overhead projector...

What is the difference?

As for learning, my son learned the alphabet, colors, shapes, numbers to 30, animals, sounds animals make, sounds the letters make, vehicles, etc...partly from the ipad, partly from us reinforncing it...all before he was 2.

It can be a good tool.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Some of the home schooling parents I know aren't allowing computer use until 5th grade and only then for certain kinds of research that they will personally supervise.

The children are not allowed to play computer games, either, until 5th grade.

The idea is they will develop good handwriting and also process information better by making and taking notes.

I don't have an opinion on whether that's good or bad, just reporting what they have decided to do.
Maybe they should check out Waldorf schooling.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Some of the home schooling parents I know aren't allowing computer use until 5th grade and only then for certain kinds of research that they will personally supervise.

The children are not allowed to play computer games, either, until 5th grade.

The idea is they will develop good handwriting and also process information better by making and taking notes.

I don't have an opinion on whether that's good or bad, just reporting what they have decided to do.
They don't have to be Luddites about it. My kids did both. None is in jail or addicted to anything.

Computers are not going away. As Finster said, the problem here is not the iPads anyway but the emphasis on testing. Right now these PARCC tests are the Solution of the Moment. My kid's school did them this year. The tests are computerized, and the cheapest way for schools to get them done is via iPad.

Is it the best way to go? Maybe not. But keeping children AWAY from technology is not going to help them in the LONG run.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Ipads can be great for learning depending upon the program the kids are using. The emphasis on testing though is really a shame.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM

5,207 posts, read 4,668,615 times
If you put a 6 year old in a room alone with a piece of blank paper and a pencil, she will draw something. If you put her there with an iPad, she will create nothing. There is nothing wrong with technology. But the technology we have today is the end game, the reward saved for when you have experienced everything else. I have a baby. I want her to get excited about eating carrots before I introduce her to sweeter stuff. Obviously candy will come much later. If you get them addicted to the candy first, they will want nothing else. This is the same reason you don't allow kids to watch too much TV. You stunt their imagination.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
I agree. There is a whole lifetime to be involved with technology. Shouldn't kids at least be introduced to more basic things first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education