Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:04 PM

54 posts, read 106,827 times

Advertisements

The survey wants to know whether one is a light drinker. It asks-
"During a normal week, I usually consume (select only one response):"

__0-4 drinks containing alcohol weekly

__4-10 drinks containing alcohol weekly

__10 or more drinks containing alcohol weekly

A. choices are not exhaustive
B. wording is confusing
C.choices are not mutually exclusive
D. data collected is only nominal level data
E. Choices are not mutually exclusive or exhaustive

I realize the survey does not take in to account the alcohol content per drink, but not sure which answer that would fall under the given multiple choice options. Which would it be? If someone could help me clarify I'd be grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 02:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
"What is the problem with the following survey question?"

The only problem with it, that I see, is that 4 and 10 are redundant.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:46 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
The survey wants to know whether one is a light drinker. It asks-
"During a normal week, I usually consume (select only one response):"

__0-4 drinks containing alcohol weekly

__4-10 drinks containing alcohol weekly

__10 or more drinks containing alcohol weekly

A. choices are not exhaustive
B. wording is confusing
C.choices are not mutually exclusive
D. data collected is only nominal level data
E. Choices are not mutually exclusive or exhaustive

I realize the survey does not take in to account the alcohol content per drink, but not sure which answer that would fall under the given multiple choice options. Which would it be? If someone could help me clarify I'd be grateful!
Which do you pick if you drink exactly four drinks a week? Or 10?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:17 PM

54 posts, read 106,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ah, true! so the choices are not mutually exclusive?

Old 06-21-2014, 03:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
They are assuming no one drinks exactly 4 or 10, it's either 1,2,3, or 5,6,7,8,9. Pretty sloppy design.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
(For below, "prompt" is the question and "stem" is the multiple choice options. An "attractive distractor" is a stem designed to be an appealing choice that is still incorrect.)

The answer is going to be C. The options are exhaustive; they cover everything from 0 to 10+. So that rules out A and E.

The data are nominal, so D is an attractive distractor. But it is not necessarily a "problem" that the data are only nominal. It likely is not a problem, because you probably want to separate nominal and qualitative responses on your survey.

So that leaves B and C. It is possible that the wording is confusing, even though the question looks straightforward. (I actually would not write a question with that stem, because it is such an arguable response.) But since there is overlap at 4 and 10 drinks, clearly the responses are not mutually exclusive. This is also clearly a design problem with a survey, since it creates confusing for the respondent.

Given this, the best available answer is going to be C. B and D are still viable answers, but C is the best available and so it would be the correct stem to select.
(I used to be a question writing consultant for a major testing company, so I tried to step through in the way we would write question justifications. In my opinion, this is not a well written question.)

Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
It depends on the diversity of drinkers, and who the question is being asked. Yes it might be product placement but saying 0-4 drinks ( as your body does manufacture something similar to alcohol ) is a decent answer. If I was a kid, I would put 0-4, if I was a young adult I would put 0-4, and even as an continuing adult I would put 0-4 drinks. Is it that simple to put that down. Your not lying, it is asking a basic question.

Basically they are going to drop the age to 14-16 for young drinkers, because nobody in the west really is drinking so much as before, and bars are becoming emptier and emptier.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is inescapable. What ranges would you use? 0-4 and 5-10 and 11 or more? What problem would that solve? It is asking for an averaged number based on many weeks, and the number could be 4.5, and the respondent is still left with no valid choices, instead of two ambiguous ones.

If you insist that you drink "exactly four" drinks a week, put down 0-4, because a very tiny residue from the drink clings to the inside of the glass, which means you are actually drinking 3.999 per week, unambiguously within the range of only one of the answers. You're the nitpicker, not me.

Having said that, I would still have a problem with the form of the question. I would answer by saying "none of the above, because I never have a normal week in which to count them. Every week I stay with my mom who locks me in a room and I drink zero, or stay with my drunk dad and drink 15, and I don't consider any weeks of my disorganized life to meet the definition of "normal"." Furthermore, "during a normal week" of only seven days, one does not have a sufficient time span to do anything "weekly". Everything one does "during a week" is unique to that week, and carries no baggage from any other weeks.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-22-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
The survey wants to know whether one is a light drinker.
The problem is "0-4" includes both light drinkers and non-drinkers, so you'll never be able to tell if someone is one or the other.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
What if you don't drink or only have a drink on the third Saturday of every month?

It is most problematic for the non-drinker because the only choice of 0-4 precludes the person drinks some time during the week.

Better word to use would be MONTH instead of week and use a different scale.

A). It is none of your business
B). 0
C). 1-4
D). 5-7
E). 8-10
F). who cares, the bottles still have some bourbon left.
G). there is enough for both of us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education