Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:08 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,666,334 times

Advertisements

Nope. Facebook effectively killed the high school reunion. It's gratuitous voyeuristic curiosity anyways; facebook fulfills that at no travel cost or significant effort. Good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 PM

315 posts, read 564,300 times
I graduated High School 4 years ago and right after I graduated I was a bit nostalgic and swore I would definitely go to my reunions. I still see and am best friends with several people I went to HS with but I have found I have absolutely no desire to go back or to a reunion. I told teachers I would visit them but I haven't been back on school grounds since graduation.

I didn't have a terrible HS experience or anything (that was Middle School for me!) but I just don't care for most of the people like I used to. Most of them, I am sure, don't care about me either!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,902 times
I live 1200 miles from where I went to high school and I'm not spending $$ for airfare, hotel, rental car, etc just to see a bunch of people who I don't care about. My 10 year is next year and it does seem like the class officers are starting to organize something but most of them have stayed in the area. I'm in contact with a few people that I was friends with but honestly...I have less in common with most of them as we've gotten older. I make sure to see the ones I truly do care about when I go back for a visit, though.

I agree with the posts that say FB has eliminated the need for high school reunions. Now you can check out how your ex turned out, your BFF, your ex BFF who stabbed you in the back, and everyone you couldn't stand...you can gloat over their misfortunes in the privacy of your own home for free! and of course you can also be happy for people's accomplishments in your own home, for free

Old 08-05-2015, 11:02 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,220,694 times
I have never had the urge to go back and revisit old school mates. I have no interest in seeing many of them. With the internet I can keep in contact with those I care to.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:13 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,997,332 times
What I heard about the 10 year reunion (to which I was not invited) was that there was only one person not of the in group.

The 40th would be this year. No interest. They weren't my friends.

Its their party, not mine.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:04 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Went to mine on Saturday, 20 years. It was fun. Most of the people I hung out with in HS did not go. So I visited with other people. I'm not too hung up on "who hung out with who" two decades ago, and neither was anybody else.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,585,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
saw this being discussed on another forum , thought i would start it here , just wondering if suddenly you got a letter through the door asking you to go to a school reunion party in a weeks time , would you drop everything and go or would you say no?
I live outside of the US, so, unfortunately, a weeks notice would be insufficient.

Fortunately, I go "home" frequently and see many of my high school and college friends often. But, I'd love to be able to attend a reunion.

Some people don't want to attend reunions, especially high school reunions, because they didn't care for high school and or their classmates. I've always told my kid that he should not judge his peers based on how they acted in high school. Most of us grow up eventually, and many of those kids who were jerks in high school will have grown into nice people later on in life.

I like how my small high school class has grown closer together over the years. We were always friendly, even if we didn't all hang out together. But, with social media, especially FB, many of us are now quite close even if we were not back in high school... and we graduated 35 years go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education