Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working in a middle school that might be considering adding a new elective or two and I'm wondering what does your (or your kids') school offer that we don't that I could suggest to the administration?

Here's the main list:

Choir
Band
Gym
Computer Skills
Health

So what are we missing that your school offers that you think the students really benefit from? I know that one obvious elective is a foreign language or two, and that's something that I would definitely suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
It's been a few years since my kids were in middle school (all college now), but it was required that they choose either band, orchestra, or choir, required they take a foreign language (Latin, Spanish, French, etc.), required to take gym all the way through sophomore year of high school, and required health classes all the way through 9th grade.

Their electives were choices of different literature or creative writing classes, more advanced math classes, different science focused classes (environmental science), different technology classes, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I'm currently working in a middle school that might be considering adding a new elective or two and I'm wondering what does your (or your kids') school offer that we don't that I could suggest to the administration?

Here's the main list:

Choir
Band
Gym
Computer Skills
Health

So what are we missing that your school offers that you think the students really benefit from? I know that one obvious elective is a foreign language or two, and that's something that I would definitely suggest.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
For grade 8...

Required

English
Reading or World Language
Mathematics
Science
Social Studies
Unified Arts
Physical Education
Health

Elective

Band
Chorus
Speech/Communications
Directed Study
Study Hall

Old 10-20-2014, 05:56 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,117 times
General electives include:

Chorus
Band
Orchestra
Drama
Creative Writing
Technology Education
Technology Tools
Home Economics (not called this, but this is what it is)
Art
Computers in Art
Chinese
Spanish
French
Career Exploration
Peer Helping

Support "electives" include:

Reading Support
Writing Support
Math Support

I think I listed them all.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:57 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
You beat me to it: foreign language. Gym isn't part of the standard curriculum? What kind of electives are Choir and Band? Those weren't considered academic courses in my middle school. How about Art, or Art History? What is "health"? In my school, "health" was sex ed, so again, non-academic. If Health had some anatomy and physiology in it, that would be interesting.

Sorry, I don't mean to be obtuse, but I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of "elective" at your school.

How about Photography? Kids really dig that. Middle School is a good age for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times
[quote=Pitt Chick;36953622]For grade 8...

Required

English
Reading or World Language

Reading isn't part of English class? What do they do in English class?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

Here's the main list:

Choir
Band
Gym
Computer Skills
Health

Art
Family and Consumer Science
Vocational/Ag science
Drama/theater
Student aide

Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
You beat me to it: foreign language. Gym isn't part of the standard curriculum? What kind of electives are Choir and Band? Those weren't considered academic courses in my middle school. How about Art, or Art History? What is "health"? In my school, "health" was sex ed, so again, non-academic. If Health had some anatomy and physiology in it, that would be interesting.

Sorry, I don't mean to be obtuse, but I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of "elective" at your school.

How about Photography? Kids really dig that. Middle School is a good age for it.
These are not really "electives" in the sense that the kids are choosing them (except for band and choir). These are classes the kids take when they're not in their core classes. None of these classes are really required, either (including gym...I believe it's possible for a student to go all three years without taking it once, but I'm not 100% sure).

I forgot to mention that we do have art.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
My 6th grader had to choose from....

Band
Choir
Art
Theater
Tech Ed

7th and 8th grade have

Spanish
various Tech courses

Old 10-22-2014, 05:32 PM

Anyone ever heard of middle schools offering basic engineering classes to kids at this age level?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education