Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 03:02 AM

383 posts, read 430,857 times

Advertisements

As a young woman, I was accepted to the Sorbonne to study for my doctoral degree. My fluency in French was not good but serviceable, my reading comprehension superior.

While the reading comprehension has not changed, my ability to retain even grammar or vocabulary with which any intermediate French student is conversant...de mal en pire. This has to do with speaking with native French speakers I encounter in New Brunswick. I freeze up, in a way I would not have done as a young woman. I'm now 58 and wonder if retaining the ability to speak a foreign language declines with age, or if being tongue-tied may have to do with communicating with everyday people outside ivory tower situations.

These brain freezes are troubling me. It has been almost thirty years since I was slated for the doctoral degree, yes, but I should have retained more than I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 09:04 PM

211 posts, read 157,210 times
As I'm sure you're aware, learning a foreign language is a use it or lose it proposition. I would imagine you've had regular exposure to French reading material, but sporadic opportunity to practice your speech. Perfectly normal.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:08 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
freezing up is common. i know lots of people with advanced degrees that read and write great french but have trouble speaking and understanding. but they are improving slowly. biggest obstacle at their age is hearing.
the bottom line. you must continue to take weekly classes if you dont you will lose it.
btw i was there in paris last week went back to my old neighborhood and church after 37 years. it was great.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:54 AM

To mcsangel and Huckleberry:

Yesterday, an Acadian-French-speaking person visited, and I realized that part of my "freeze" was due to an anticipatory fear that "Over-There-French" (i.e., not Quebecois) would not be understood by her. Thank you both very much. By no means am I implying that I speak "Over-There-French" like Kristin Scott Thomas. The extremely broad Acadian pronunciation of the language, the palatalization and--and whatever the opposite of palatalization is--of the language, makes for a four-way Stop Sign: 1) my halting French, period; 2) my fear of being understood; 3) my fear of not being familiar with this patois; and 4) my anticipation of a conversation partner's "ear problem."

Last edited by Purplecow; 11-30-2014 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: wrong word choice

Old 11-30-2014, 02:12 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
As a young woman, I was accepted to the Sorbonne to study for my doctoral degree. My fluency in French was not good but serviceable, my reading comprehension superior.

While the reading comprehension has not changed, my ability to retain even grammar or vocabulary with which any intermediate French student is conversant...de mal en pire. This has to do with speaking with native French speakers I encounter in New Brunswick. I freeze up, in a way I would not have done as a young woman. I'm now 58 and wonder if retaining the ability to speak a foreign language declines with age, or if being tongue-tied may have to do with communicating with everyday people outside ivory tower situations.

These brain freezes are troubling me. It has been almost thirty years since I was slated for the doctoral degree, yes, but I should have retained more than I have.
No. Normally the ability to retain a language doesn't decline. It sounds like perhaps some mild anxiety issues are getting in the way for you. Maybe if you found a class, or organized a meetup group, that would allow you to get your French back up to speed (or to even surpass your earlier speaking skills!), you'd feel more confident, and it would come more naturally. I think you'd find your previous skill level coming back to you fairly quickly, and then you could continue building, if you want. I'm hoping to start resurrecting some old language skills, myself.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:16 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,019,642 times
come on you can do it!!!!!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM

I just watched "A Most Wanted Man," the LeCarre-based film starring Philip Seymour Hoffmann. Some viewers criticized the lack of German dialogue in the film, but I, rather, thought of how strongly immersion is needed in order to master a language.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and support.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM

102,256 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
I just watched "A Most Wanted Man," the LeCarre-based film starring Philip Seymour Hoffmann. Some viewers criticized the lack of German dialogue in the film, but I, rather, thought of how strongly immersion is needed in order to master a language.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and support.
You can create your own immersion. Either find an intermediate class that will allow you to audit until you gain confidence and can participate, or organize a meetup group of French speakers, native and non-native. Then get a course of CD-s or DVD's to listen to daily. Soak it up from the DVD's. Let your ears do the work for you. Play French in your car while driving every day, as well as at home. Practice French in your imagination as you're going about your day. You'll notice an improvement.

Your local community college will have French classes, or you can look up the Alliance Francaise, to see if they have classes in your area. Think positive. Don't stress out. Imagine a positive outcome. Visualize yourself having fun with it. Get jiggy with it.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can create your own immersion. Either find an intermediate class that will allow you to audit until you gain confidence and can participate, or organize a meetup group of French speakers, native and non-native. Then get a course of CD-s or DVD's to listen to daily. Soak it up from the DVD's. Let your ears do the work for you. Play French in your car while driving every day, as well as at home. Practice French in your imagination as you're going about your day. You'll notice an improvement.

Your local community college will have French classes, or you can look up the Alliance Francaise, to see if they have classes in your area. Think positive. Don't stress out. Imagine a positive outcome. Visualize yourself having fun with it. Get jiggy with it.
God bless you, Ruth4Truth. The reason I am stressing out about it: I learned that an immersion J.D. degree is available in New Brunswick. As a young woman in the early 80's I was offered, accepted, and messed up three full scholarships to law school. In mid-life, I had to represent myself pro se in court on several occasions and did so, if I can say this without sounding like a fool, victoriously. There is nothing I would give more than for a chance to rectify a not-totally-but-somewhat-misspent youth and apply to this program.

I just wish, wish, wish that Americans could get part-time jobs in French-speaking Canada. A DollarMart employee, the kindest Acadian-French woman I've met, talked about my "freezes" with me a few weeks ago, and her advice was verbatim to yours. She told me that until she had to live in Fredericton, she was terrified to speak English. When she had no choice but to speak it, her fear went away.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,120,109 times
Quote:
To mcsangel and Huckleberry:

Yesterday, an Acadian-French-speaking person visited, and I realized that part of my "freeze" was due to an anticipatory fear that "Over-There-French" (i.e., not Quebecois) would not be understood by her. Thank you both very much. By no means am I implying that I speak "Over-There-French" like Kristin Scott Thomas. )
Speaking from experience, it could be that to a person in northern Maine or NW NB with little exposure to ''over there French'', especially one with only basic education, might actually find your Kristin Scott Thomas French easier to understand than rapid-fire Parisian French from a native speaker from France.

Anglophones who speak passable French tend to speak slowly and fully enunciate most syllables and avoid colloquialisms. It's often easier for some people to understand that someone with native speaker fluency who just lets loose without any hangups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education