Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times

Advertisements

I thought spelling, English, math, choir, band, and literature were easy. I thought science was easy.

Did not care for history too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
English was hard for me and so was my native language, Swedish. Math was hard too along with all other science subjects. I always had to study really hard to make good grades in college; nothing ever came easy to me.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I thought spelling, English, math, choir, band, and literature were easy. I thought science was easy.

Did not care for history too much.

I think your interest in history has much to do with the teacher. My dad made history fascinating to me.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
English and history. If you like to read that is.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:42 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,363 times
It's all relative.

Some people can't write a quality paper to save their lives, but they can breakdown a mathematical function with ease. And vice versa.

I always liked math (wasn't particularly a genius), because it was more straightforward to me than having to write a paper on a particular subject. I could look at an equation, know which rules I had to follow, and figure it out from there. Writing papers took a little more creativity, and just seemed to require more planning and organization on my part.

Social sciences also came relatively easy to me, because I enjoyed learning about why and how people do the things they do. Economics, specifically, was my forte.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM

709 posts, read 766,627 times
Quantum Mechanics.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,983 times
English and writing.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azile View Post
My easiest subject in school was math. The more complicated it was, the more fun it was for me. Word problems were my kryponite. Too many what ifs and other twists and turns with words. I just wanted numbers. Give me numbers and I could figure it out. I was good with biology, especially genetics. It was like a puzzle to me and I love puzzles (physical puzzles, no word problems or other similar wordy things). I was good with grammar, but not with reading. I could write essays easily (again, I saw it more like a puzzle such as putting sentences in a specific order. The subject of that essay was not as easy for me as reading was hard for me. I was also very good with art. Abstract and architectural drawings and paintings mainly. I couldn't draw faces very well, though I got pretty decent with animals.

History was my hardest subject. All facts and memorizing dates and names. I couldn't relate well to the subject so I couldn't visualize something to help me memorize either information. At least once we started reading fiction books, my imagination could soar and I could picture the story in my head and understand what I was reading. I love fantasy and science fictiony stuff. Chemistry was only difficult for me because it had to do with memorizing complicated words and their abbreviations. Economics was hard also because of the terms. Again, give me numbers and letters and I can solve it. Give me terms and names of groups of numbers and I'm lost.
I've noticed that most people, even math lovers, hate word problems. The math lovers because they just want the numbers, and the non-math people because why do we need those stupid numbers!

Anyway, my favorite subjects were English, history, writing, geography, and spelling.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
When I was in school, it was physics. But then, high school level physics was just grasp of some fairly self-evident phenomena. Now, physics has evolved to very hard practical mathematics, in which I reached my peak pretty early on.

As for Math "word problems", I loved those, because I could approach them logically, rather than through memorization of applied formulae. I could quickly estimate the correct answer, and know I was wrong if I was too far off. How can you not love that advantge. Henry's mom gives him 50c to buy eggs, you know 5-million is going to be the wrong answer.

To me, the hardest subjects were Gym (because I was a dork) and Shop, except for the mechanical drawing term, which I easily aced.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,404 times
Sobolev Spaces and Variation Analysis

haha, I remember those words! According to my transcripts I should know something about them, but I don't. It's come up in my career exactly zero times. Engineers need to know high level math....... so they say.

Any Earth science was super easy, because it's the same stuff over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education