Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Times have sure changed. What I remember from about 3rd grade onward was that when the final school bell rang you were pushed out the door. If you were waiting for the school bus or a ride, cool, you could hang out for a few minutes and some students did have prior arrangements which allowed them to stick around for a half hour or so. Otherwise you were expected to leave, period. I learned the reasoning for this while in high school; it turned out that the school was responsible for the students' well being and safety from the moment of the last bell until the student arrived home, or up to 1/2 hour after the last bell if the student left campus. So it was in the school's best interests to get the students off campus ASAP.

My district also practiced after school detention (yes, for elementary school), so there was at least one classroom open to hangout in if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depending on district, not all students are eligible to ride the bus. In my home district, busing is only provided for rural routes. In-town kids must walk (none do anymore, they did when I was a student), ride their bike (again, none do anymore, even bike racks have been removed), or be dropped off/picked up.

I rode the bus, I lived rurally. City kids did not.
Where I currently live many students still walk to school, even those in elementary school. You are correct about the bicycles, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Almost an hour and a half before school? Do they wait outside? Our doors don't open to students until 15 minutes before school starts.

Those who stay late are enrolled in the after care program. If kiss and ride students aren't picked up on time they go to the office and secretaries call parents.
In California very few schools are housed within a building. The typical campus is open with classroom doors leading directly to the outside. As long as a gate is open you could enter campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Times have sure changed. What I remember from about 3rd grade onward was that when the final school bell rang you were pushed out the door. If you were waiting for the school bus or a ride, cool, you could hang out for a few minutes and some students did have prior arrangements which allowed them to stick around for a half hour or so. Otherwise you were expected to leave, period. I learned the reasoning for this while in high school; it turned out that the school was responsible for the students' well being and safety from the moment of the last bell until the student arrived home, or up to 1/2 hour after the last bell if the student left campus. So it was in the school's best interests to get the students off campus ASAP.

My district also practiced after school detention (yes, for elementary school), so there was at least one classroom open to hangout in if needed.

Where I currently live many students still walk to school, even those in elementary school. You are correct about the bicycles, though.

In California very few schools are housed within a building. The typical campus is open with classroom doors leading directly to the outside. As long as a gate is open you could enter campus.
Yes, but even in the early 90s there were teachers standing at the two entrances from the parking lot area to the school area. They wouldn't let you onto the rest of campus before the allowed time. Before that, you could only be in the front area of school which did allow access to the office.

We were also basically pushed off campus right as the day was over (no bells). Today, however, it seems as though adults think kids are incapable of walking or biking, so that doesn't happen.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
These are the same families who were/are perpetually late picking their kids up from daycare or scouts or what have you. It doesn't matter if pick up time is 4pm, 6pm or 6:30pm or 8pm. They show up 15 minutes after the due time, cry foul and think they are so put upon. The earlier leaving parent drops the kid off at the earliest time possible, the latest home parent picks up at the latest time, never giving any consideration to the people stuck behind, not able to go home, or to their own child, who notices that they are the last to be picked up each day.

My daughter's cheerleading coach used to whine about the school picking on her and calling CPS because of her "late pick ups", people would insist she sue, oh the horrible school system picking on this poor, single mother!!!

I was volunteering at the time at the school. 2 or 3 days a week, she dropped her kids off 2 hours late or so, picked them up late EVERY day.

This type of "threat" is not against the parent who got stuck in traffic one Tuesday after work. This is about the parents who are late EVERY. DAY. OF. THE. YEAR. And they never call to let someone know something went wrong. They simply stroll in, like daycare workers, teachers, volunteers, etc OWE them FREE babysitting services.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:42 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A letter that went out to families at an Oregon elementary school had some parents up in arms in this week — and fearing for what would happen should they arrive a few minutes late to student pick-up.

The letter, which was sent from office staff at Swegle Elementary School in Salem, was intended to be a reminder about school procedures for the upcoming academic year. But for some parents, one line in particular jumped out: “Children must be picked up on time. If they are not picked up on time, we will call DHS [Department of Human Services] and you will then have to pick them up at court the next day.â€

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/scho...654081842.html
Your government at work. I have a friend who suspects that the use of "protective services" for children on steroids is the overall agenda to weaken the family as a control unit. He ascribes it to the left. I am not so sure.

I personally have had some very bad experiences. First, my family is an intact, loving and moderately prosperous one.

I have two children, now 19 and almost 18. Almost exactly 7 years ago, when they were 12 and almost 11, my older son was considerably stronger than my younger son, who is on the high end of the autism spectrum. One day my older son was playing a little bit more roughly with my younger son than I liked. I sat him down on the stairs for a lecture. I told him that he is never to pick on someone smaller or weaker than him, for any reason.

That upcoming October, my younger son is bothering my older son at school. We ask the school to keep them separate during the day to the maximum extent possible. Not an uncommon thing that siblings will bother each other during the school day. The school psychologist asks my older son if his parents (meaning my wife and I) have ever done anything that "scared" him. He tells her that I "put" him on the stairs for the above-mentioned lecture. She writes it down as "pushed" and files a report with Child Protective Services. They come out to "investigate." The report is dismissed as "unfounded."

We scheduled a meeting with the head of the department that handles special education and the school superintendent. The former says that he "wishes more parents" would take bullying as seriously as we did. I said "not when it results in a Child Protective Services complaint."

Circling back to my friend's view, he believes that the left wing is out to weaken families. He cites such things as gay marriage, child protective services agencies, restrictions on corporal punishment and the like. I am not sure that the agenda is deliberate. I believe (and have posted elsewhere) that government overreacts to individual situations.

This approach by the Oregon schools sounds like "Exhibit A."

Old 07-13-2015, 01:52 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG64 View Post
Mandated reporters? More like brownshirts. Since when does a single instance of not picking up my child on the dot constitute abuse?

YOU WILL LOSE!!!!

Is it any wonder why so many are choosing homeschooling these days?
No, I would not lose if you sue me. As a mandated reporter the law gives me absolute immunity for reporting provided I did not do it for malicious purposes, such as reporting to get revenge because you had an affair with my husband. If you fail to show up on time multiple times to pick up your child on time by 15 or more minutes or are late beyond 30 minutes even once without contacting us, which was my school's policy, I have a legitimate reason to believe you are neglecting to arrange proper supervision for your child. You could sue all you want, you would lose.

Whether CPS or the police will choose to act against you once they collect the child from me is up to them. But, at least where I taught, it really ticked the sheriff/sheriff's deputies off - not at me, but at the parents and they made it clear they felt that way. It was amazing how quick those "oops, gosh, sorry about you being stuck here, but...." disappeared after the policy was put in place and enforced.

Sure homeschool if you object, then they will never be the school's responsibility and this will be a moot point.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I totally understand why they are doing this. Unfortunately, as with most things, the bad apples ruin it for the bunch. Of course, there will be one parent who NEVER picks their child up late but who ends up doing so one day for some reason, and then the parent and child will have to go through hell because of it.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I totally understand why they are doing this. Unfortunately, as with most things, the bad apples ruin it for the bunch. Of course, there will be one parent who NEVER picks their child up late but who ends up doing so one day for some reason, and then the parent and child will have to go through hell because of it.
See my post. It is often conscientious parents that suffer most. The derelict ones don't care. The good ones are the ones who are concerned about a mark on their record.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
I have never understood why people think the school system cares if hey home school. They don't, as long as you don't send your child two or three years later unprepared and behind. YOUR child is YOUR responsibility; act like it and pick him/her up on time.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I have never understood why people think the school system cares if (t)hey home school. They don't, as long as you don't send your child two or three years later unprepared and behind. YOUR child is YOUR responsibility; act like it and pick him/her up on time.
The school system cares because if it's depopulated funding suffers. And the ecology of the classroom and school suffer as well if the more motivated students either home-school or, more likely in my New York suburban area, go private or tuition into a neighboring district.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:39 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Do you honestly thing someone who can not pick up / drop off there kid on time, Would Find the time to Home and/or Cyber school them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education