Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I don't think I can explain any further why I consider it beneficial. It's not because I think it's racist to go to a white school. (And I'm not moving somewhere else, because DM is where my family lives - that's the main reason why I'd like to move there).

The school district is poorly rated. There are (I think) five or six high schools, and most of them have poor families, very low test scores, etc. The one I'm talking about is much better; it's kind of an anomaly for the district. I'm not sure if I'm getting that across. It's not as highly rated as the suburban schools, but test scores are decent, and lots of kids are in AP. It was rated one of the best schools in the metro (or maybe in the state, I forget) for having challenging/good college preparation. It has two junior highs feeding into it - one that performs just as well as the suburbs; the other, not so much. Elementary schools are a mixed bag; obviously I would get a house in an attendance area of the better feeder schools.

I've also looked at the demographics for these areas (types of households, spending habits, education, etc). The ones in the city seems to fit me a little better. There's also a good chance it would be closer to where I might work. No guarantee on that though.

But...I'm thinking about a couple of the suburbs now too. I'm just going to have to visit them all - maybe during spring break here, which is different than there. Any other time isn't feasible, and visiting in the summer (if that's even possible) wouldn't be as telling.

All things being equal as far as academic opportunities, extracurriculars, social opportunities, I would choose the more diverse school you mentioned in the city. Especially if it offers a better commute and lifestyle for you and your family. Don't let future housing value be the main determining factor. I find that values follow the quality of the school, and if it's a truly good school, it will attract the demographics that will also value it, and thus maintain if not increase your house's value.

As mentioned, I would tour the school and look for any kind of self-segregation (hallways, lunch, recess for younger kids) and the degree to which it occurs, if you feel it would negatively impact your kids. I would also try to sit in on any AP or similar classes your kids would likely be in, and note not just curriculum and teaching, but also the social dynamics to see if it offers the best fit for your child.

All the best to you and your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
All things being equal as far as academic opportunities, extracurriculars, social opportunities, I would choose the more diverse school you mentioned in the city. Especially if it offers a better commute and lifestyle for you and your family. Don't let future housing value be the main determining factor. I find that values follow the quality of the school, and if it's a truly good school, it will attract the demographics that will also value it, and thus maintain if not increase your house's value.

As mentioned, I would tour the school and look for any kind of self-segregation (hallways, lunch, recess for younger kids) and the degree to which it occurs, if you feel it would negatively impact your kids. I would also try to sit in on any AP or similar classes your kids would likely be in, and note not just curriculum and teaching, but also the social dynamics to see if it offers the best fit for your child.

All the best to you and your kids.

Per the bolded:

For me, this is most applicable to the high school level. I'm willing to overlook a mediocre elementary school (because I can supplement their education at that level), but expect more at the middle school and high school levels. These both have to offer my kids the best chance to reach their academic potential (including peer influence), with extracurriculars and diversity taking secondary roles. Meaningful exposure to the last two can found in various avenues outside of their school if needed.

*But my kids are innately very bright intellectually and are quick learners. One is also more self-motivated and requires minimal involvement from me scholastically. They are also more socially extroverted and make friends easily, so YMMV.

Last edited by mingna; 01-10-2016 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education