Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:47 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
But others maybe should not start until they are 6. Isn't this still up to the parents to decide? In my day it was.
In some states, yes, parents who choose to utilize the public education system are allowed to choose when to start sending their kids. In other states, compulsory education demands that every child either be enrolled in a public, private, or home education program by the age of 6, or depending on when their birthday falls. I suppose that in just about every state a parent could choose to keep their kids home for an extra year or two under the "homeschooling" option, but most either do'nt know they have that option or think it would be too cumbersome... or else they feel that their kids are ready and would have no reason to look at that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
For some people it actually starts far too late. I was ready for school by 3 and by the time I actually went to kindergarten, I was way beyond the center time that reigned 15 years ago. However, most schools won't put a 5 year old into any other class above kindergarten no matter how ready they are for it. I tested into 3rd grade but they wouldn't put me in because of "social issues".

It would be nice if they could place students in kindergarten when they're ready. Back when I was in school, there was even a year called "readiness" in between kindergarten and 1st grade (which is more like today's kindergarten) for kids who weren't ready. Today that would probably "hurt children's self esteem".

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Keep in mind when comparing European schools to US schools that they have weed out programs and their terminology for their grades are much different then ours. Their 'high school' graduates are their top students. Those not qualifying to move on after about our 9th grade equivalent are moved into other programs so you are comparing ALL of our students to the best and brightest of their students, not really an accurate comparison. I would bet if you took our top 20% and compared them to the rest of the world's top 20% we would come out near or at the top.
To better clarify this point - for instance, in Hungary, children must attend school through 8th grade. High school is not based on your ZIP code, it is based on your track record. You must be accepted to the school you apply to based on merit. Therefore, an 8th grader can apply to attend a high school, but unless they are really cutting the mustard, they don't get accepted. Their next alternative is vocational school. They can learn a trade and that's about it for the "underachievers". I think that is the point you were trying to make - that when we compare the US high school track record against the Europeans, we are not seeing the whole picture. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
To better clarify this point - for instance, in Hungary, children must attend school through 8th grade. High school is not based on your ZIP code, it is based on your track record. You must be accepted to the school you apply to based on merit. Therefore, an 8th grader can apply to attend a high school, but unless they are really cutting the mustard, they don't get accepted. Their next alternative is vocational school. They can learn a trade and that's about it for the "underachievers". I think that is the point you were trying to make - that when we compare the US high school track record against the Europeans, we are not seeing the whole picture. Correct me if I am wrong.
While this may hold truth, my bet is that we are being tested against an equal range of students across the world. And that because of that, we are being ranked accordingly.

If it truly was as simple as, "well, its their best vs. all of ours" this point would be well known, and the data from such tests marked invalid.

Unless we're comparing the peaks.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
While this may hold truth, my bet is that we are being tested against an equal range of students across the world. And that because of that, we are being ranked accordingly.
That is correct according to the organizations that sponsor the tests and the US Dept of Ed.

Quote:
If it truly was as simple as, "well, its their best vs. all of ours" this point would be well known, and the data from such tests marked invalid.
Which hasn't happened because that's not the case.

There are tests comparing our top students to other countries' top students. We're at the bottom in those comparisons, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education