Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 03:04 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Excellent post. Today's universities are bought and paid for by right wing corporations more and more. Money rules supreme over creativity. Just look at how important money making university sports programs are over academics. It's disgusting.
Yea, I just don't understand why this uneducated country doesn't truly appreciate how important it is to produce more history and philosophy graduates.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:09 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Quote:
It helps too if your educated parents put an emphasis on education and growing up in a university town.

Why Are Highly Educated Americans Getting More Liberal? : NPR
Really? Don't make me laugh. It's one thing for a group of individuals who harbor a certain ideology (or priniciples if you're a conservative) to be educated and know as much as one can take in. It's another thing when you understand the solution to a certain issue and know what it is. The group your chosen article refers to does not. The other does.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:13 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,792,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Conservatives would cut costs a lot at universities by eliminating numerous majors, and fees for things that aren't academic related, that we feel aren't useful. I believe many of the programs offered are mandated by the state, so these public colleges don't have a lot of flexibility for cost savings.

One reason universities cost so much is government involvement, state tax funded scholarships. Universities know many students will get these scholarships so they increase tuition. If there was not government involvement and these scholarships, you would see more compeition and tuition would be lower as a result.
More likely by reducing the number of administrators, i.e., the blob. Colleges now employ more people in administration than they do in the lecture hall.

A prudent paring of some programs is probably in order. At U of Vermont, they've granted hundreds of English PhD's the last several years but only 3 theses were cited in other papers, a pretty good indication that they are just shelf-fillers.

At any rate, it doesn't make much sense for taxpayers to be subsidizing activity that is mere personal gratification. If someone wants to pursue advanced study in pre-Columbian pottery let him do it on his own dime.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Great point. Those with money got there from any number of means. But in any event, they don't want government programs or those who won't do for themselves staking claim to it. A degree, on the other hand, is a piece of paper. It has little actual monetary value, aside from what one has sunk into it in outrageously high tuition fees.

Amerika.
Hmmm, asphel......
I knew you had more than just good
looks going for ya

This post nails it.....
A piece of paper doesn't make people superior....
Only the delusional libs believe that myth

Old 05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Hmmm, asphel......
I knew you had more than just good
looks going for ya

This post nails it.....
A piece of paper doesn't make people superior....
Only the delusional libs believe that myth
I don't know any "libs" who think people are "superior" because they're university-educated. But I know Americans, both liberal and conservative, who think they're superior because of which neighborhood they live in; which schools their kids go to; which universities they attend (ed); which degrees they earned; how much money they make, etc.

This isn't about politics. As usual, it's about socioeconomic status. Money. Because Americans are a very class-conscious people.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-05-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
The Economics of College: Part III - Thomas Sowell

here is a great column by conservative economist Dr. Thomas Sowell about why college costs so much.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
NC ranks 47th I believe in public teacher pay thanks to our current backwards governor and legislature. We are losing wonderful teachers every day to other professions and states. Personally two years in a row we have received open letters from our girls' favorite teachers who have had to leave the profession to better care for their families. it is heartbreaking. And Chapel Hill is supposed to have the best system in the state.

Our state is among several where 2nd jobs are necessary. This article says 25% but a more recent article I can't find now that it at more like 50%.

One fourth of NC teachers work second jobs, report says | WNCN
It seems like many states are supposedly 47th, 48th, 49th, etc in school funding. Probably at least 20 of them. I don't believe the stats any more. Some of these advocates have shot themselves in the foot with this stuff.
https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sit...ue%20Brief.pdf
"Using these measures, Colorado's rank ranges from 34th to 48th in the country."
So there you go.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Highly-educated people know that liberal and conservative used in articles like the one linked are dog-whistle terms that are essentially meaningless but are useful for motivating page clicks.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:33 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
given the fact colleges have so many liberal Democrat professors, young people aren't always hearing both sides of an issue in many cases. so it is not surprising college graduates are becoming more liberal.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
In my experience truly critical thinkers are neither liberal nor conservative.
Excellent point. Critical thinking involves the ability to acknowledge when facts are counter to people's personal beliefs. This is difficult, if not impossible for most committed ideologues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Inflated tuition in America is the result of removing government support for higher education.
I think it is more likely that tuition inflation occurs because higher education isn't really exposed to market forces. Both subsidized and unsubsidized loans must create a significant distortion in the education marketplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education