Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Is this a daycare, preschool, or regular K-12 school? That matters as to what the proper response should be.
It's preschool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
1. Give the school a hard time about this. Tell them to watch out for your kid. Based on what you've said, it sounds they will hear you.

2. Don't get into the habit of fighting your kid's battles. You're just going to humiliate the dude. Just...take a step back.

3. Reassess...over time...whether you want to be in this school. Please weigh many factors...not just incidents of 'getting struck(?)' or eye poking. But you do have the opportunity to move him the next school year.

None of us are perfect. I'm certainly far from it. But I must say you do sound like a bit of a busybody parent who is on a hair trigger to swoop in and make a massive deal about any incident. That won't be helpful for the kid in the long run.

Get a hobby and give him some space.
Don't fight his battles? This is a three- or four-year-old.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:08 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yes, but overreacting isn't the way to go. How did the kid get "struck"? Was it simply a bad kid? Was there horsing around? Was it an accident? Even back in preschool, I saw some parents so concerned about their babies being hurt, they didn't realize that they were almost waiting for something "horrible" to happen.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXblue21 View Post
his eye was draining for hours and without medical attention.
Let's not get dramatic, ok?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:29 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Did I read correctly that your child has had multiple incidents with the same child? If that is the case, I would meet with the director and teacher and demand the other child be removed from the classroom. Your child should not have his life disrupted if possible.

If it was one incident I would still sit down with all parties and discuss what happened, how it could be prevented and proper reporting. When I picked my daughter up from daycare I would get a report if she tripped and fell in the hallway (not kidding).

Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
The school is wrong in this case. I am a former daycare provider and I worked in a preschool for several years. I would strongly consider taking my child out of the school. They missed a serious injury. Not acceptable to me. However, first I'd ask some questions:

1) what is the child to teacher ratio? For 3-year olds, it has to be fairly small as kids this age require lots of supervision

2) what is the education/training of the "teacher"?

3) What is the written policy (and ask to see it) for injuries that occur on school property?

4) Have the teacher walk you thru the scenario and her thought process. What were the children doing? What was she doing? Did she actually see the incident? Why did she not call you? How did she decide that an eye injury didn't warrant any kind of medical check? How did she care for your child after the injury? What about the other child? How did she handle the other child? Does the other child have any issues?

Old 08-14-2016, 08:43 AM

358 posts, read 710,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Right, which I why I'm not saying just leave it alone. Still, it's a precedent that can easily continue into later years and there needs to be a balance.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
Kids get injured. It's part of childhood. Keep your kids home if you can't tolerate a normal childhood injury. A corneal abrasion doesn't require emergency medical care or an ambulance. They can often even wait until the next day to see a primary care doctor. On another note, a phone call would have been nice.

It's possible the teacher didn't realize how bad the injury was.

I get annoyed when my kids' daycare calls me over normal injuries. I don't need an injury report for every bump, bruise, cut, and skinned knee. That's life. Don't coddle.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,704 times
You must ask yourself one simple question.

Do you trust these people to watch your children?

If you do, then work with the school director and teacher to resolve any issues. If deep down you have a nagging feeling, then find another place.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Kids get injured. It's part of childhood. Keep your kids home if you can't tolerate a normal childhood injury. A corneal abrasion doesn't require emergency medical care or an ambulance. They can often even wait until the next day to see a primary care doctor. On another note, a phone call would have been nice.

It's possible the teacher didn't realize how bad the injury was.

I get annoyed when my kids' daycare calls me over normal injuries. I don't need an injury report for every bump, bruise, cut, and skinned knee. That's life. Don't coddle.
These are little kids. If this had happened at an elementary school, I might be inclined to agree, though the policies at most ele schools are fairly strict.

Corneal abrasions can be serious. An injury requiring treatment is a serious injury. Keep in mind the OP mom didn't know it was an abrasion until she took the child for care. OTOH, I don't think it needed ER care. Many people don't understand, though they've probably been told, they can call their PCP 24/7 and get the doctor on call if this was after hours. If it was during office hours, they can just call the peds office. Sometimes you will get sent to urgent care if it's late in the day, but call first.
http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/corn...rasions?page=2

Day cares notify the parents because that is what they are supposed to do. They are concerned about liability. What you do with your kids on your own time is a different issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education