Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a school be better with uniforms for teachers and children?
Yes, it would be better 9 52.94%
No, it wouldn't be better 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:51 PM

432 posts, read 343,424 times

Advertisements

There are so many factors that would go into a dress code, I wouldn't know where to begin. And I can imagine the dress code being adjusted from time to time.

I suppose the basic question would be are you in favor of a strict dress code or a liberal one? What are your viewpoints?

EdX

Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Dress codes are tough. For example, my faculty obsessed over the fingertip rule to determine how short a girl's skirt could be...even though we actually had no such rule. But they couldn't get it through their heads that some people have short arms, others have long arms.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 PM

14,319 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Yes, dress codes are very tough. These days it's hard for many kids just to find clothes that fit reasonably well and aren't transparent, let alone following a strict dress code.

My daughter's school has a rule about skirts and shorts being only so many inches above the knee. But, my daughter is 5'9" and wears a size 2. She just has very long legs. The same shorts fit both her and her 5'2" friend around the waist, but though the length is fine for the friend to wear to school, it's many inches too short for my daughter. So, she wears jeans to school even when it's over 80 degrees.

I can get behind basic rules that apply to both boys and girls, like no bare midriffs, no visible undergarments, no profanity on T-shirts, etc. I am not in favor of micromanaging. Proclaiming, for instance, that all shirts must have a collar is taking it too far. In that case, you're better off with a uniform.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:22 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Uniforms.......

Old 12-05-2016, 06:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Liberal. To me, the only ban should be on offensive slogans. But as long as they are not arriving in their underwear, it doesn't matter.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:29 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Uniforms.......
I'd only opt for uniforms if they were necessary. We don't have issues with student dress, so uniforms wouldn't serve much of a purpose.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:34 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
As with so many other issues, if all education were privatized, there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,433 times
I used to have a more conservative opinion about things, but lately, I've heard the arguments for a more liberal dress code and I can't argue with them. Cover up the private parts and leave it at that.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Dress code should be whatever best orients developing human beings to distinguish themselves in an educational setting by having to distinguish themselves by performance academically. Trying to 'fit' in via a style or "stand out / be noticed / or be an individual" by external means (dress) in an educational setting, should be avoided in favor of standing out / fitting in with a group / being noticed / or being an individual by academic achievement / performance.

This is why I would favor uniforms or some very easily obtained common clothing that all students can readily purchase off a rack somewhere. There are always extra curricular type venues associated with most educational systems that will enable those wanting to stand out by dress enable themselves to 'be seen'. The educational classroom IMO should not be that place.

Though I went to public schools in era of fairly liberal dress code, something my parents would stress whenever I lamented my slow physical maturation rate was 'work on developing your mind instead'. I think the educational institutions should embrace the concept within the school / education environment. Too often it is a focal point of distraction and status. Let the formative minds worry about that - OUTSIDE of the educational environment.

Lax dress codes allow the marketing carpet bombing of the developing mind saturated with mass media marketing images ad nauseam that can become a distraction that is unnecessary in the educational environment.

"Look at what Cheryl and Debbie are wearing!.. check out Mike and Bob!" Hahaha
Kids do that enough simply on physical characteristics alone in early and late childhood.

Having lax guidelines gives more ammunition to distinguish or mock or ridicule which counter-intuitively makes me wonder why the same people who want to reduce / stop bullying and other forms of harassment, are not clamoring for uniforms more often to eliminate one opportunity in an environment supposedly for academic development?

Old 12-06-2016, 04:16 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,637 times
no dress code uniforms are for uniformity a form of control to make very one the same . and just because some one may not be able to afford new fashion is a poor excuse, just give them a teddy bear and a safe space for christ sake on a pogo stick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education