Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The parts of NYS that I'm familiar with have a separate tax devoted entirely to schools.
The parts of Virginia that I'm familiar with do not have a separate school tax.

I don't know how much more simple I can make it for you.
That's great, so you're affirming what I've said from the beginning yet you came up with this:

Quote:
This post is another example of how you think you know how things work, but don't.
When I said this:

Quote:
And I believe it's 1 administration that oversees everything rather than over 130 for us (nearly 1 for every town). You guys are able to make it work without making the public poor as a direct result of your demands. Therein lies the problem here. Which leads me to respond to the following.
Quote:
None of this contradicts what I've said. Your school system worked while taking in taxes close to our general taxes alone.
So where again was I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM

280 posts, read 250,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
A third of all high school graduates take an AP exam. When you add in those who take the classes but the exam, dual enrollment, IB, etc you have a significant proportion, possible even a majority, who are doing college level work in high school. That is why you need subject level experts in secondary classes.

And how is the process painful? The exams are easy, you mail in your paperwork, get fingerprinted, and then you have what you need to get an alternate route certification.
My point is that 90% of math teachers will not need calculus to be able to teach effectively. Let's say I am a algebra or geometry teacher, what good does calc 2 or 3 do for me?

In regards to the level of work.... There are plenty of studies that show we are in the midst of grade inflation.

Subject matter experts aren't needed but rather teachers who can engage and communicate effectively the students.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
My point is that 90% of math teachers will not need calculus to be able to teach effectively. Let's say I am a algebra or geometry teacher, what good does calc 2 or 3 do for me?

In regards to the level of work.... There are plenty of studies that show we are in the midst of grade inflation.

Subject matter experts aren't needed but rather teachers who can engage and communicate effectively the students.
Well....a number of times I was asked ...well, not asked, but assigned...to teach a course outside of my certification. So imagining that an algebra or geometry teacher might need to also teach calculus is well within the realm of possibility.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well....a number of times I was asked ...well, not asked, but assigned...to teach a course outside of my certification. So imagining that an algebra or geometry teacher might need to also teach calculus is well within the realm of possibility.
That and the fact it is very helpful to know where kids go and what they need when they leave your class. I have never taught calculus but having had it improves my teaching geometry. I see the connections.

IMO if someone cannot handle calculus they shouldn't be teaching high school math.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post

It is hard for me to believe that a math teacher would not have taken these calc courses.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It is hard for me to believe that a math teacher would not have taken these calc courses.
I have no idea how you accumulate enough math credit to have a major without taking the entire calculus series.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:32 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
From your perspective, what is a fair income for a teacher of 1 year experience, 5 years and 11 years and over?
What a free market sets.

A free market cannot be wrong. If teachers are "underpaid", they'll quit and go do something else. If too many quit, and there aren't enough teachers, wages will rise to attract more. Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand" does work, when allowed. When people decide they know better than the market, the result is ALWAYS imbalances that wind up hurting more and more people.

Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What a free market sets.

A free market cannot be wrong. If teachers are "underpaid", they'll quit and go do something else. If too many quit, and there aren't enough teachers, wages will rise to attract more. Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand" does work, when allowed. When people decide they know better than the market, the result is ALWAYS imbalances that wind up hurting more and more people.
Free market doesn't work in teaching. There's nowhere to go. The amount districts get per child is set by the government. This isn't industry where you can raise the price of your product to make up a short fall. When districts have to cut they cut teachers and teacher salaries. The next district over isn't getting more money per student and no one pays more for better results. Industry rules don't apply in teaching. This is not a mobile profession, you cannot negotiate your salary and you can't charge more if you're better than your competition.

Unfortunately, you're going to get what you wished for. Teachers who can leave are leaving and fewer people are going into teaching. However, this will not fix the pay situation for teachers. All that will happen is they will lower the requirements to be a teacher until they fill the classrooms and our kids will suffer. When you don't pay teachers the best leave the profession and you're left with what's left. There's a reason those who can't do teach. Those who can do make a lot more money doing. If this economy turns around I'll be back in engineering the first chance I can get.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Free market doesn't work in teaching. There's nowhere to go. The amount districts get per child is set by the government. This isn't industry where you can raise the price of your product to make up a short fall. When districts have to cut they cut teachers and teacher salaries. The next district over isn't getting more money per student and no one pays more for better results. Industry rules don't apply in teaching. This is not a mobile profession, you cannot negotiate your salary and you can't charge more if you're better than your competition.

Unfortunately, you're going to get what you wished for. Teachers who can leave are leaving and fewer people are going into teaching. However, this will not fix the pay situation for teachers. All that will happen is they will lower the requirements to be a teacher until they fill the classrooms and our kids will suffer. When you don't pay teachers the best leave the profession and you're left with what's left. There's a reason those who can't do teach. Those who can do make a lot more money doing. If this economy turns around I'll be back in engineering the first chance I can get.
To be honest, free market doesn't work in most things unless all one thinks is important is profit. What jnojr doesn't get is that free market is great for "stuff". It isn't so great for humans.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 PM

164 posts, read 119,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post

from your perspective, what is a fair income for a teacher of 1 year experience, 5 years and 11 years and over? Why do you feel the way you do?
$25,000/$27,500/$30,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education