Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:32 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times

Advertisements

Understand what IQ is: 5 Experts Answer: Can Your IQ Change?

Also, avoid going to school. My IQ was higher in 2nd grade than 11th grade, 10 points actually. I knew being caged up in the classroom was not a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 06:32 PM

491 posts, read 473,399 times
Don't take IQ tests so seriously. Just 'cause you do well on an exam for IQ doesn't mean you're smart. It just means you're good at taking that test.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
I've worked with the general public for some time so I can believe that,
but it frightens me a bit, all the same.

If you are even around 120-130, then someone with a 98 is similar to a mentally retarded person, to you.
Then you have an excellent understanding of humanity. Yes, it is frightening.

If IQ measures anything...an interesting point...might be a detailed study on the subject so a person may draw his own conclusions. Two decades ago, I did just that and came to various conclusions based on my layman's interpretation of psychology and testing. I'll leave those conclusions for another day. Reading "the Bell Curve," an important work from 1994, might help answer quite a few of OP's questions. There are other well-researched, peer-reviewed, works on the subject. As-differentiated from politically-motivated works that draw more convenient conclusions and/or who start with an agenda to back up faux science.

Even asking the question is puzzling, as-posed by OP, proving the fundamental point that intellectual curiosity is a hallmark of "intelligence", whatever that is. I think OP should try and find his own answers. S/he hasn't come back, because the question didn't make much sense from Square 1.

Speaking-of, viewed in context of standard deviation, the IQ "numbers" start to make much more sense. I believe, but don't quote me on it, an IQ of 98 is about at the median (0.0 SD). Whereas by various IQ tests...and the scores do vary between them..."I think" a score of c. 130 is about 1.3 SD, or "superior", and yes at that level average people start to look and sound like morons.

One of my closest pals is, I suspect, a 99% type (c. 2.3 SD) and some of his thought processes make the rest of us bright-normals seem like ants. That's just how it is.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:16 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

One of my closest pals is, I suspect, a 99% type (c. 2.3 SD) and some of his thought processes make the rest of us bright-normals seem like ants. That's just how it is.
I was in a Chinese language class at a university that had a program that allowed admission to gifted kids. The class included a 12-year-old from that program. It was fascinating to watch this kid process the information, grammar, vocab. When the instructor called on the regular university students, it wasn't unusual for them to make an error, failing to take into account a certain point of grammar, or whatever. The kid never missed. Never made a mistake of any kind. It was like his mind was a computer, taking in all the rules, and producing the correct response. He made it look really easy and straightforward, which made one wonder what everyone else's problem was. lol It was really something.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:

If IQ measures anything...an interesting point...might be a detailed study on the subject so a person may draw his own conclusions. Two decades ago, I did just that and came to various conclusions based on my layman's interpretation of psychology and testing. I'll leave those conclusions for another day. Reading "the Bell Curve," an important work from 1994, might help answer quite a few of OP's questions. There are other well-researched, peer-reviewed, works on the subject. As-differentiated from politically-motivated works that draw more convenient conclusions and/or who start with an agenda to back up faux science.

Even asking the question is puzzling, as-posed by OP, proving the fundamental point that intellectual curiosity is a hallmark of "intelligence", whatever that is. I think OP should try and find his own answers. S/he hasn't come back, because the question didn't make much sense from Square 1.

Speaking-of, viewed in context of standard deviation, the IQ "numbers" start to make much more sense. I believe, but don't quote me on it, an IQ of 98 is about at the median (0.0 SD). Whereas by various IQ tests...and the scores do vary between them..."I think" a score of c. 130 is about 1.3 SD, or "superior", and yes at that level average people start to look and sound like morons.

The Bell Curve is so flawed that reading it will not really help anyone who has no grounding in statistics.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Reading "the Bell Curve," an important work from 1994, might help answer quite a few of OP's questions.

OMG, to the uninitiated, if you decide to read The Bell Curve by Charles Murray, keep it in a plain brown wrapper and don't tell anyone you do not trust that you're reading it. If you've a novice and just want a little casual reading, pick something less apt to start a fight.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:

IQ tests are generally normed to have a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,996 times
READ. READ. READ. And then read some more.
Read everything.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:54 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was in a Chinese language class at a university that had a program that allowed admission to gifted kids. The class included a 12-year-old from that program. It was fascinating to watch this kid process the information, grammar, vocab. When the instructor called on the regular university students, it wasn't unusual for them to make an error, failing to take into account a certain point of grammar, or whatever. The kid never missed. Never made a mistake of any kind. It was like his mind was a computer, taking in all the rules, and producing the correct response. He made it look really easy and straightforward, which made one wonder what everyone else's problem was. lol It was really something.
The hormones hadn't kicked in yet. His mind wasn't filled with thoughts of the opposite sex, so he could actually concentrate on what he was doing.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:28 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,937,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
I just recently did a test that shows how high my IQ is. I got back 90-108. And it says that I have a short attention span!!! I need to develop better cognitive skills but don't know how! Especially with paying attention. Im notice it but its not bad ( not mental sickness bad) But I miss little things sometimes. And I'm kind of frustrated about it and want to become better at my weaknesses and overall raise my IQ.
Stop reading CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education