Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 10:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Advice for wiseasses: don't go to private school and don't join the military.

I made the mistake of doing both and was cut loose early both times

Lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 01:20 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
The nuns at my grade school had miniature bats that they kept up their sleeves.

In 8th grad I had the nun in charge of the Patrol Boys on my case about being one. ?She bugged me every day for two weeks about it. The official school policy was that this was voluntary and I was not going to do it. So finally she dragged me into a room where we were alone and tried ordering me. I had never had a fight with a nun but it was going to happen if necessary and I was not going to be a patrol boy. She finally gave up but later that day she told me, "You will get into a good high school but you waon't do well."

Years later my mother made a comment about that nun, she knew that she had had fights with boys at school. I don't know how she knew 'cause I never said anything about it. But I had expected my mother to be on the side of the nuns if I ever got into any trouble.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Numerous in-school detentions in elementary, got a couple out of school suspensions in high school, and was even suspended for a whole year and had to attend another high school for that year. Ended up just dropping out after returning to my normal high school.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I kissed Karen Schlosser behind the piano in kindergarten class and was sent home for the day. Does that count ?

Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I kissed Karen Schlosser behind the piano in kindergarten class and was sent home for the day. Does that count ?
Lol.

One of my suspensions was for kissing a teacher's daughter under the bleachers at a football game. She was the proverbial preacher's daughter, as well. Momma was a teacher, daddy was a preacher, and that girl could out party all the boys.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There was only one case where I felt it was truly counterproductive. Our faculty -- obsessed as they were with discipline -- wanted an honor code for cheating. So they worked on it for quite a while and finally came up with one that was reasonable and acceptable. It went into effect and a few weeks later we had our first case -- a boy whom the teacher said cheated on a test in class. The "hearing" was rather traumatic for the kid, although personally I didn't find the honor code that onerous -- if "convicted" you got a zero on the work, which was pretty much the standard anyway. The boy maintained that he was innocent, but the teacher insisted he saw him ask a girl sitting at the same table for an answer during the test. So he got his zero and it was over...except that it ruined the rest of middle school for him; he became a very bitter young man. Two years later when the faculty was discussing the honor code the teacher brought up that first case and said that she thought he was asking the girl sitting next to him for a tissue!!!!!!!!!!! I about blew up. The teacher maintained that talking during a test is automatically cheating, and I maintained that while it may be breaking a rule, it is not cheating. That cheating has a whole different context to it since you are impugning someone's character. By that time the boy was in high school, and I sent him a letter of apology on behalf of the school, the teacher never relented. There is a little twist to the story, but to discuss it here would be too "identifying".
It is a bad experience to be accused of something you didn't do and punished for it. There were a few times that I had mi or disciplinary action taken against me that was questionable but I was never punished for something I definitely didn't do.

Interestingly, in my case the questionable disciplinary action was always from a teacher, never the principal or the dean of discipline. The dean of discipline subjected me to disciplinary action (always some form of detention) a bit more than a handful of times over my high school years, but it was always very well deserved when he did it.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:40 PM

254 posts, read 281,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There was only one case where I felt it was truly counterproductive. Our faculty -- obsessed as they were with discipline -- wanted an honor code for cheating. So they worked on it for quite a while and finally came up with one that was reasonable and acceptable. It went into effect and a few weeks later we had our first case -- a boy whom the teacher said cheated on a test in class. The "hearing" was rather traumatic for the kid, although personally I didn't find the honor code that onerous -- if "convicted" you got a zero on the work, which was pretty much the standard anyway. The boy maintained that he was innocent, but the teacher insisted he saw him ask a girl sitting at the same table for an answer during the test. So he got his zero and it was over...except that it ruined the rest of middle school for him; he became a very bitter young man. Two years later when the faculty was discussing the honor code the teacher brought up that first case and said that she thought he was asking the girl sitting next to him for a tissue!!!!!!!!!!! I about blew up. The teacher maintained that talking during a test is automatically cheating, and I maintained that while it may be breaking a rule, it is not cheating. That cheating has a whole different context to it since you are impugning someone's character. By that time the boy was in high school, and I sent him a letter of apology on behalf of the school, the teacher never relented. There is a little twist to the story, but to discuss it here would be too "identifying".
If the teacher thought he was asking for a tissue during a test was cheating, why didn't this come up at the "hearing"? Did the teacher lie during the hearing and say he asked for an answer instead or did no one ask the right questions? I'm sure an apology after the fact was a step in the right direction, far too many administrators rug sweep this sort of thing. How did you handle the teacher?

An egotistical teacher on a power trip can do a lot of damage to a kid that desires to be a good student and can even cause them to give up on trying to be a good student, then it mostly boils down to what sort of parental support the kid has to counter act the damage.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:58 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
If the teacher thought he was asking for a tissue during a test was cheating, why didn't this come up at the "hearing"? Did the teacher lie during the hearing and say he asked for an answer instead or did no one ask the right questions? I'm sure an apology after the fact was a step in the right direction, far too many administrators rug sweep this sort of thing. How did you handle the teacher?

An egotistical teacher on a power trip can do a lot of damage to a kid that desires to be a good student and can even cause them to give up on trying to be a good student, then it mostly boils down to what sort of parental support the kid has to counter act the damage.
I'll private message you.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:57 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
I received after-school detention for a few days in elementary (or was it middle?) school. Can't remember with certainty why, but it may have been due to skipping school numerous times, and forging the parental signature in the absences notes. But it may also have been due to sleeping in class numerous times...

The other kids in it during that time were quite interesting. Similar to The Breakfast Club characters.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 AM

412 posts, read 276,097 times
Once I made a derogatory mark to a girl in the hallway that turned into a fight getting both me and the aggressor suspended. The other time was out of anger when there was a girl who picked on me who happened to be Jewish, and I told her to go roast in an oven. I was in 10th grade and couldn't control myself.

When I was in PK to 6th grade, I was violently aggressive with my anger, but it never got me suspended. Starting in 7th grade, for 3 years I didn't get into trouble anymore than 1 detention for bad behavior all those 3 years after getting some therapy, then I exploded again starting in 10th grade with my anger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education