Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 09:07 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
wow, and I thought I was old because I graduated high school in 2011.
Really? On what planet would 7 years post-HS make you old?

It's funny, though, because most 20-somethings go through the "I'm so old" phase - then by the time you hit 30+, you begin to deny being old again. Human nature, I guess. But as a 41 year-old myself, I always groan at those Buzzfeed listicles where a 25 year-old is convinced they're ancient. Like "Anyone who remembers these things from 2008 is going to feel OLD." Yeah, okay kiddos. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1919?
The drinking age was lowered to 18 in 30 states from 1969-1976. And yes, I just looked it up - that's not something I knew off the top of my head, but I did recall it was around that time period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._h...e_age_by_state

Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? On what planet would 7 years post-HS make you old?

It's funny, though, because most 20-somethings go through the "I'm so old" phase - then by the time you hit 30+, you begin to deny being old again. Human nature, I guess. But as a 41 year-old myself, I always groan at those Buzzfeed listicles where a 25 year-old is convinced they're ancient. Like "Anyone who remembers these things from 2008 is going to feel OLD." Yeah, okay kiddos. LOL
I remember going to a bar in Tempe AZ on a business trip not long after I graduated and watching the antics of the college students, looking at the hot girls and realizing with shock, I am too old to date any girl here. I was maybe 26 - 28. I felt ancient.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
I remember going to a bar in Tempe AZ on a business trip not long after I graduated and watching the antics of the college students, looking at the hot girls and realizing with shock, I am too old to date any girl here. I was maybe 26 - 28. I felt ancient.
except the 35 year olds who don't have that issue, and date them in your place

Old 01-19-2018, 11:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
A male teacher CAN NOT WIN in a girl fight scenario. At the first school my son taught at he got in trouble for not breaking up a fight IN THE GIRLS BATHROOM. Had he gone in there, he would have gotten in more trouble than not and he knew it. What was he supposed to do? Sweet talk them out of there?
if he would have listed himself as bigendered, he could use both restrooms

Old 01-19-2018, 12:10 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
A better topic question might have been:
Why are all the new rules necessary?.

Seems it is simply another means to minimize independent thinking, ala "dumbing down".

Old 01-19-2018, 01:00 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,168,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Girl fights are hard to stop due to the sexuality. A male teacher breaking up a girl fight by pulling a girl off another girl would be instant issue. Women trying to get involved, it is still hard to break-up. I know this through work. It is real easy for a man to get claimed for inappropriate touching.
I work in schools. A few months ago I was walking outside behind the gym and two girls approached. One was screaming at the other about "You *blanked* my boyfriend! I'm gonna beat your *blanked*!!! After a bit, I spoke up and told her to leave the other girl alone. I said I didn't care if she had a beef with the other girl, it wasn't going to be settled there. Thankfully security came around the corner and took care of it.

I, a 47 y.o. man, asked one of the associate principals if I would have gotten in trouble if I had to grab one and break up the fight. She said no, that it would be alright. I asked what if she said I grabbed her inappropriately as I pulled them apart. She said I'd be fine and that I wouldn't get in any trouble. Thankfully there are cameras all over the school that could help if it ever came to that.

Now going into the girl's locker room to work on a PC or printer is a different story.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:13 AM

426 posts, read 363,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I graduated in 1988 so light years before anything was zero tolerance I guess

I also carried a pocket knife with just for miscellaneous stuff like you. Quite a few students carried these pocket knives; they were very common at the school. I even used it in art class for wood carving so the teachers were fully aware of it; nobody really gave it a second thought back then. The principal even saw me use it multiple times when he visited the art class--OMG nowadays the SWAT team would be called in and I would have been hauled off

I got caught once with a joint in my pocket when it fell out while I was changing back into my clothes after gym class. Just fell right out of my jeans pocket and the gym teacher was right there. She chewed me out over it and lectured me about the dangers of drugs. She took the joint away and that was pretty much the end of it. It was stupid because it wasn't even my joint; it belonged to a guy I was hoping to date and I had agreed to hang onto it for him until later in the day. Who knows what would happen now, lol

I'm sure there were probably other things as well.

I wrote a creative story in 3rd grade after being inspired by the red Hormel devil on the label of a can of deviled ham that I saw at home. It was about a guy who opened a can of deviled ham but cut his hand on the lid and brought the devils to life, lol. They came out of the can and hid under his bed then made his night interesting. The teacher was amused and impressed. Nowadays they would probably put my arse in therapy over a story like that

Why would you date someone who does drugs anyway?

That's the easiest red flag to see that someone is undateable.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
I left out the big punishment - primarily because I was able to avoid it most of the time, so I forgot. Swats.

They woudl make you sand in front of the class, bend over and grab your ankles. Then they would smack your butt with a wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. Some teachers gave you one swat, some kept going until you cried. That pretty much went away about my junior year. I think I got one or two swats - I was terrified of them. IT was primarily in Jr. High.
Do you think they should bring back the swats?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do you think they should bring back the swats?
No. We the public could never afford to defend all the lawsuits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education