Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 05:59 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

We did a few things back then that would have some serious consequences today. I won't list them here, but times sure are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
I hit a kid (boy) over the head with a book once, and my teacher only smiled and winked. He was a real jerk, and said something pretty mean to me - so I guess she figured he had it coming! And I'm a female, if that matters. Also got caught smoking more than once, which might not fall under "zero tolerance" these days, but is certainly not acceptable at most schools. One time the security guard found us, and we paid for his silence with a Twinkie. He was a big fella, LOL.

There were other things I did that would've gotten me expelled, but managed to avoid getting caught... or at least nobody said anything if they saw me or suspected. Btw, I was in high school from 1990-94.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Honestly, no. I was a rule follower. A little mouthy with my own family but otherwise very well-behaved. Even today, when my husband and children want to jab at me, they tell me that I'm a goody-two-shoes.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Honestly, no. I was a rule follower. A little mouthy with my own family but otherwise very well-behaved. Even today, when my husband and children want to jab at me, they tell me that I'm a goody-two-shoes.
My mother was always a rule follower. We used to tell her that if we were living in the USSR, she'd be calling the KGB on her own family.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Drugs and violence mostly. Pregnancy, and/or kids dropping out slightly less prevalent but a problem.

Punishments applied to me were mostly things like cleaning the school, fixing or painting things. Sitting in a desk for three hours after school staring at the wall, not allowed to talk or move, running laps until you vomited, doing push ups in front of the class for the entire class (and then being ridiculed by the teacher when you collapsed after 20 or so), sitting in the office all day (that was a weak punishment), cleaning something gross like the girls bathrooms or a locker room. Doing chores for the SAB (whom they knew I could not stand), losing lunch or free period. (Jr.s and seniors were allowed to take a "free period" the idea was to go to the library and study or go to the gym and work out. Mostly it was just hang out with your friends on the stage, or in a remote hallway). Sometimes we have to go into town and sweep out the gutters, or pick up sticks and trash in the drain/creek in the park behind the school. Paint over "graphitti" (no one really did graphitti as we know it today, but we the seniors painted their class logo and school colors on the chimney each year. Sometimes it got modified into something funny. Sometimes I and others were required to repaint it). One time we had to basically detail all the drivers ed cars. Some kids had to clean up all the butts in the smoking area. I never had to do that. When we picked up a cheerleaders little car, and placed it in sort of an outdoor hallway at the back entrance of the school so she could not get the doors open and everyone had to climb over her car to get out the back entrance, they made us follow her around and do whatever she asked of us for a week (carry her books, open doors, go to the cafeteria and get her some cookies whatever she asked). To me that was pure heaven, she was super cute and we ended up making out in the hallway for an hour one day (never went out though, she rolled her eyes and laughed when I asked her).

They would mostly contact parents through a note. You had to bring back the note signed by your parent. One day, I brought in a note from my mom and they called me out for forging it because it did not look like all the other notes where my sister had signed my mom's name. They rarely called your parents because usually no one was home when the school was open, and they did not want to stay late to call.
Based on what you've said about the climate at your school, this is not the answer I expected. I thought you'd say you got some minor punishments that you flouted or turned into a 3-ring circus. Having done work details as punishment in high school myself, I know it takes a lot of effort to administer them in a way that they don't turn into a fun goof-off session for the kids who are supposed to be getting punished. Three hours staring at a wall sounds like the worst punishment of all of them. I spent a bunch of hours in detention too but I either did homework or took a nap, and it only last a bit over an hour each time.

It sounds as if your school must have had a very difficult time safeguarding its property and physical plant. There must have been lots of theft and vandalism in that environment. It's hard to imagine the, being very successful at administering all those punishments effectively.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Small town high school.

Yes, and though the statute of limitations has probably expired, I'm still not telling.

Tons of kids had gun racks and guns on the back of their cars.

You weren't allowed to bully, make racist threats, or have sex with someone two years younger than you (Romeo and Juliet laws applied but that means you still have to be close in age).

Boy fights got shut down QUICKLY (probably in part due to guns on gun racks on pickup trucks) but girl fights were, interestingly, tolerated, though I know those women now and some of them could use a gun better than the boys.

I was a total geek but we did stupid stuff too... hacking was considered more ingenious and less threatening back then. I'll just say that!
Girl fights are hard to stop due to the sexuality. A male teacher breaking up a girl fight by pulling a girl off another girl would be instant issue. Women trying to get involved, it is still hard to break-up. I know this through work. It is real easy for a man to get claimed for inappropriate touching.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Girl fights are hard to stop due to the sexuality. A male teacher breaking up a girl fight by pulling a girl off another girl would be instant issue. Women trying to get involved, it is still hard to break-up. I know this through work. It is real easy for a man to get claimed for inappropriate touching.

A male teacher CAN NOT WIN in a girl fight scenario. At the first school my son taught at he got in trouble for not breaking up a fight IN THE GIRLS BATHROOM. Had he gone in there, he would have gotten in more trouble than not and he knew it. What was he supposed to do? Sweet talk them out of there?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Based on what you've said about the climate at your school, this is not the answer I expected. I thought you'd say you got some minor punishments that you flouted or turned into a 3-ring circus. Having done work details as punishment in high school myself, I know it takes a lot of effort to administer them in a way that they don't turn into a fun goof-off session for the kids who are supposed to be getting punished. Three hours staring at a wall sounds like the worst punishment of all of them. I spent a bunch of hours in detention too but I either did homework or took a nap, and it only last a bit over an hour each time.

It sounds as if your school must have had a very difficult time safeguarding its property and physical plant. There must have been lots of theft and vandalism in that environment. It's hard to imagine the, being very successful at administering all those punishments effectively.
I left out the big punishment - primarily because I was able to avoid it most of the time, so I forgot. Swats.

They woudl make you sand in front of the class, bend over and grab your ankles. Then they would smack your butt with a wooden paddle with holes drilled in it. Some teachers gave you one swat, some kept going until you cried. That pretty much went away about my junior year. I think I got one or two swats - I was terrified of them. IT was primarily in Jr. High.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:05 AM

835 posts, read 477,892 times
I accidentally nailed a girl in the eye with one of my paper planes and made her cry. I didn’t get in trouble, because I was a straight -A student and the teacher knew it was mistake.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 AM

174 posts, read 113,272 times
wow, and I thought I was old because I graduated high school in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education